1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 01:50
    Originally posted by sven1000
    I am indeed a scientist, as well as a realist.
    So what you doing on a Spirituality forum then?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 07:05
    Science isn't driven by the pursuit of objective truth, it is driven by money, desire for fame, intrigue with a particular puzzle piece, desire to be right, etc... Scientists often like to portray it as pursuit of objective truth; it sounds nobler. It does have the nice feature that it is repeatable by others. People can build on past success, although o ...[text shortened]... d who pursue studies they don't believe reflect truth, simply because there is funding for it.
    So you lost out on your funding battle?
  3. Standard membersven1000
    Astrophysicist
    Outer Space
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 07:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So you lost out on your funding battle?
    I suppose it sounds a little bitter, but no, I'm doing alright. I don't pretend my job is any more special than any other, though. Science is no more noble than theology or professional chess-playing.
  4. Standard membersven1000
    Astrophysicist
    Outer Space
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 07:19
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    So what you doing on a Spirituality forum then?
    I suppose something similar to what you're doing.
  5. Standard membersven1000
    Astrophysicist
    Outer Space
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 07:23
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    I'm not debating whether people are or aren't in it for the pursuit of objective truth. I fully believe your claims there. What I'm saying is that the scientific method is near bullet-proof. If your claims are false, nobody can repeat your experiment, whatever, people are going to catch it.

So, is there something fundamentally wrong with the scientific method in the abstract? I would not blame the tool for being mishandled by the worker.
    I would agree that the scientific method works well in the appropriate venue. I'm also open to the idea that there is truth that the scientific method cannot access, which doesn't make that truth any less viable.
  6. CA, USA
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 07:42
    I would agree that the scientific method works well in the appropriate venue. I'm also open to the idea that there is truth that the scientific method cannot access, which doesn't make that truth any less viable.
    That's downright blasphemy!

You are hereby ordered to turn in your Scientist Card .. at least in the Spirtuality Forum venue.

Stand by for slings .. and arrows too.
  7. Standard membersven1000
    Astrophysicist
    Outer Space
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 07:45
    🙂
  8. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 01:58
    yes, care to explain?
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 02:54
    I suppose something similar to what you're doing.
    Here to introduce some reality then? Strange that you don't seem to have done that so far.
  10. Standard membersven1000
    Astrophysicist
    Outer Space
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 22:16
    Is that what you believe/hope you are doing?
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 22:48
    Is that what you believe/hope you are doing?
    Absolutely. There are way too many fools here who deliberately misrepresent science so they can push their mystic crap.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 22:50
    What is this "truth" that science supposedly cannot access? And what makes you think that anyone else can access it any better?
  13. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 10:31
    Originally posted by twiceaknight
    No. Self- delusion is never positive. It's negative.
    Don't people delude themselves into believing postiive congenial propositions more often than they delude themselves into believing negative uncongenial ones? In that sense, self-delusion is positive,

However, that people self-delude may be regrettable, and hence negative, in another sense. However, I think this is a debatable proposition. I would say the matter is more complex. I would say that there is an optimal margin of self-delusion, that varies from context to context.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree