1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    20 Jan '08 20:011 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Yes to the first question. But I am still not clear why such things should be viewed as God-indicating (see my post above).
    It depends on what kind of evidence you are looking for. If you are looking for conclusive scientific evidence on which you will be able to weigh up levels of probability for the "God hypothesis" then you will miss the point.

You cannot find God with your intellect alone. God can be known but not in the way you think (eg like mathematical formulas can be proven). God is known intimately and personally and that is the deal (always has been).

The experiment is about knowing (personally) God 's presence rather than knowing (via intellectual reasoning ) that God exists. It's not about intellectual belief but about something else. The evidence can be interpreted in different ways but it is evidence nonetheless , the main point is to experience the evidence. Some things can be known via scientific methodology other things are known experientially (for example). If you have no grasp of experiential knowledge then you will have no grasp of what the experiment offers.

You are like a man who seeks a PhD in chocolate and wants a library of books on cocoa beans and a lifetime of study and reasoning about chocolate. What might you know if you have never impishly munched on a mars bar ? You would know a lot ABOUT chocolate intellectually , but would you KNOW chocolate experientially?

This may be hard to grasp but there are many in this world that ,despite respecting science, do not think that science alone can enlighten the human heart.

EDIT- I would echo Ephin's post in that if the Holy Spirit gets to work on you you will not care either way about all the philosophical stuff because you will be getting to know the presence of the living God himself , but if there is no Spirit involved then nothing , not even an eon of perfect argument can convince you. I could convince you 100% scientifically that God exists but you would still not know him in the way he intends. I'm afraid you are stuck in your intellect unable to see anything at all outside scientific logic which will make discovering God all the more shocking for you if and when it comes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree