1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '14 07:56
    "Dromomania [...] is an uncontrollable psychological urge to wander. People with this condition spontaneously depart from their routine, travel long distances and take up different identities and occupations. Months may pass before they return to their former identities." [wiki]

"Dromomania" ~ being a mania ~ is too rare and extreme a condition to discuss here but it makes a good thread title!

So, what about the impact on the human spirit of a much milder form of dromomania..."the urge to wander"... holidaying, travel, migration, naturalization, foreign cultures, work in the diplomatic service, overseas postings, missionary work, volunteering etc. etc.

What is the impact on us of travel? What is the impact on us of a lack of travel?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '14 08:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    "Dromomania [...] is an uncontrollable psychological urge to wander. People with this condition spontaneously depart from their routine, travel long distances and take up different identities and occupations. Months may pass before they return to their former identities." [wiki]

"Dromomania" ~ being a mania ~ is too rare and extreme a condition to disc ...[text shortened]... etc. etc.

What is the impact on us of travel? What is the impact on us of a lack of travel?
    I sometime fantasise about moving somewhere and assuming a different identity, not losing my original identity just exploring being someone other than who I am for a while.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '14 08:54
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I sometime fantasise about moving somewhere and assuming a different identity, not losing my original identity just exploring being someone other than who I am for a while.
    You travel internationally in the course of your work. How does it [assuming it does!] affect [1] your views on the human condition, and [2] how you see yourself?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '14 09:121 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    You travel internationally in the course of your work. How does it [assuming it does!] affect [1] your views on the human condition, and [2] how you see yourself?
    It has made me realise that I am more European than American in terms of attitude and culture; much more so. I have been surprised at how alien America can feel after travelling in Europe.

In terms of the human condition I'm not sure how to answer, but travelling in Saudi Arabia brought home to me the extremes of the Islamic culture. It was a strange experience of feeling immediately safe and yet in great potential peril at the same time.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '14 10:27
    It has made me realise that I am more European than American in terms of attitude and culture; much more so. I have been surprised at how alien America can feel after travelling in Europe.

In terms of the human condition I'm not sure how to answer, but travelling in Saudi Arabia brought home to me the extremes of the Islamic culture. It was a strange experience of feeling immediately safe and yet in great potential peril at the same time.
    American? I would have never guessed it.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '14 11:061 edit
    strangely enough i often fantasise about you moving away too, usually its to the moon. 😵
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '14 11:202 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    American? I would have never guessed it.
    Guessed what?

Edit: I see - you think I'm saying I'm American? No I'm English with recent Scottish ancestry (much to robbie carrobie's disgust). I was referring to the general view in much of the UK that we are more culturally and politically linked to the US. I always thought this to be the case but that view has changed. I now believe America to be a melting pot of religious fundamentalists (with the emphasis on mental), political and corporate extremists and fanatics who are a threat to world peace. Not to mention a road signage system which is completely stupid. Your country is mental.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '14 11:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    strangely enough i often fantasise about you moving away too, usually its to the moon. 😵
    Do you remember the 1970s programme UFO and if so the Moonbase girls.

I'll leave that with you...
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '14 11:37
    Do you remember the 1970s programme UFO and if so the Moonbase girls.

I'll leave that with you...
    Most of what you see on American TV is for entertainment. You Europeans take it much too seriously.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '14 11:39
    Most of what you see on American TV is for entertainment. You Europeans take it much too seriously.
    You think I'm taking UFO too seriously.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '14 11:431 edit
    Surely, pretty much everything that's on TV, all the time, everywhere around the world, in every country, on every channel, at every hour of the day, stretching back to when TV started, is for "entertainment" on some level or other? What distinction are you trying to draw between America and Europe, and on what basis?
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '14 11:47
    You think I'm taking UFO too seriously.
    Pardon me if I misunderstood you.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '14 11:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    Surely, pretty much everything that's on TV, all the time, everywhere around the world, in every country, on every channel, at every hour of the day, is for "entertainment" on some level or other? What distinction are you trying to draw between America and Europe, and on what basis?
    That Europeans are backward people who believe such things as evolution and other nonsense very easily.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '14 12:00
    That Europeans are backward people who believe such things as evolution and other nonsense very easily.
    Do you see evidence of this in the European TV entertainment that makes it onto American screens?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 May '14 12:03
    Originally posted by FMF

"Dromomania" ~ being a mania ~ is too rare and extreme a condition to disc ...[text shortened]... etc. etc.

"Dromomania"

Does the "dromo" part of this word have the same root as "dromedary"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree