1. Maryland
    Moves
    30 Apr '17 19:37
    George Bernard Shaw The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Apr '17 19:43
    Originally posted by 667joe
    George Bernard Shaw The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one
    Too dismissive.

Religion is a manifestation of a search for meaning in a person's life. Granted, some religious people are simply deluded about reality. But some others have simply done a better job of finding meaning in their life than certain skeptics.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '17 19:47
    This must splain why people who regularly go to church are happier and live longer.
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    30 Apr '17 19:48
    Life has no meaning other than what the individual makes of it.
  5. Maryland
    Moves
    30 Apr '17 19:50
    Countries with the longest life spans are generally post religion.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '17 21:19
    The misery of your own condition is not a calibration of mine.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Apr '17 23:10
    I always thought the smarter people became the more unhappy they were.
    (That's why I'm so down all the time 😀 )
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Apr '17 23:12
    Life has no meaning other than what the individual makes of it.
    Totally agree here. It's a sobering thought for millions, hence the many artists ,writers,thinkers and the like turning to drink
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    30 Apr '17 23:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    This must splain why people who regularly go to church are happier and live longer.
    Being 'happier' and living longer is no comfort. Some semblance of truth would be.

Also doing something with your longer life would be helpful, not that I take your statement at face value
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    03 May '17 17:12
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human-beast/201302/do-religious-people-really-live-longer

In predominantly secular countries, community involvement is very high (6) so that atheists are much more active in their communities than they would be in a comparatively religious country such as the U.S. Instead of feeling like second class citizens, the non religious are fully integrated in their communities with all of the health advantages this brings. So what had looked like advantages of religion could be simply an advantage of being in the mainstream.

In the U.S. some health researchers are fond of giving religion the credit for boosting life expectancy. Yet despite being a nation with a large religious majority, Americans have much lower life expectancy than is enjoyed by secular countries at a similar level of economic development such as Japan and Sweden. Evidently, the lower quality of life here both provides a market for religion and reduces life expectancy.

From that perspective, it seems bizarre that health researchers would be so keen to tout the alleged health advantages of religion (2). If religion really promoted longevity, how could people have such short life expectancy in sub-Saharan Africa where virtually everyone is deeply religious?

I'd say that besides a healthy environment and access to medical care, the key to a longer life is reducing stress. Spirituality can do this for people, but is not necessarily required.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree