1. Joined
    10 Mar '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '06 04:12
    Originally posted by amannion
    May not be exactly what you wanted but there's some interesting new research on the mind that suggests that consciousness might be partly a result of the human body's interactions with the world around us - in other words, our consciousness may not be wholly contained or resulting from our brain which is the usuall thought.
    Haven't got any links - I'll look them up.
    richard dawkins claims that human consciousness may be the result of an animal mind that is able to simulate the world so completely that the simulation includes a model of the mind of the simulator.
  2. London
    Moves
    28 Mar '06 08:58
    Originally posted by nomind
    where does the soul reside and how does it interact with the body? if the soul is not at all material then how does it influence or affect the material plane, i.e. our bodies?

this may be an old topic here, but i'm fairly new - so ignore it if it's old and tired. just though i'de bring a little cartesian dualism to the forum. decartes is responsible ...[text shortened]... ar reasoning to prove the existence of god, so it seems as though it would fit right in here.
    I don't know - you'll need to ask a dualist.

IMO, Descartes shot himself in the foot pretty much right at the start with his methodical doubt.
  3. London
    Moves
    28 Mar '06 09:46
    i should have known that no christians would jump on this one
    Why should they? Not every Christian is a dualist.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 Mar '06 15:55
    richard dawkins claims that human consciousness may be the result of an animal mind that is able to simulate the world so completely that the simulation includes a model of the mind of the simulator.
    So a model of something that doesn't really exist? RD sure goes to great lengths, wouldn't you say? If he's not careful, he'll be the next L. Ron Hubbard, and having all kinds of people jumping the couch.
  5. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 22:43
    First you must realize that the soul is synoymous with consciousness.

www.quantumconsciousness.org

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree