1. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    6803
    30 Aug '05 17:26
    Eistein's disgraceful past nullifies his credibility as a scientist.

    "An investigation was conducted by the FBI regarding the famous physicist because of his affiliation with the Communist Party. Einstein was a member, sponsor, or affiliated with thirty-four communist fronts between 1937 and 1954. He also served as honorary chairman for three communist organizations."
    --http://foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/einstein.htm
  2. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    6803
    30 Aug '05 17:42
    Originally posted by Moldy Crow
    You're a moron .
    Explain.
  3. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    13395
    30 Aug '05 17:54
    Originally posted by kingdanwa
    Explain.
    Explain how someone's morals or political leanings could cast a negative shadow on their empirical scientific discoveries . This smacks of Hitler not excepting "Jew science". It's also equally offensive to me .
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    30 Aug '05 18:23
    I took a look at the first group of documents and one can only wonder how history might have been different if the Woman's Patriot Corporation had gotten their way in 1932 and Einstein had been denied admittance to the United States because of his vocal support and patronage of the international disarmament movement after the senseless carnage of WWI. Besides making the US an utter laughingstock it would have also been a serious impediment to many other European scientists who shared Einstein's views and later emigrated to the US. Some of these scientists formed the core of the group that worked on the Manhattan Project, the establishment of which was spurred by Einstein's famous letter to FDR. It is conceivable that Hitler would have gotten the A-Bomb before the Allies, certainly a terrifying possibility.
  5. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    4640
    30 Aug '05 18:42
    Originally posted by kingdanwa
    Eistein's disgraceful past nullifies his credibility as a scientist.

    "An investigation was conducted by the FBI regarding the famous physicist because of his affiliation with the Communist Party. Einstein was a member, sponsor, or affiliated with thirty-four communist fronts between 1937 and 1954. He also served as honorary chairman for three communist organizations."
    --http://foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/einstein.htm
    Not sure why you posted this in the "spirituality" section, but as far as the pure ideal of communism goes, it has philosophical/spiritual merits. Even the Bible boasts some communist theory, as in shared property. To wit...this is from Acts 4:32-37...

    32 "All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all. 34 There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales 35 and put it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need."

    That passage depicts a religious communal setting, but the ideal behind it is pure communism. And in fact, historically there has been a movement called "Christian Communism", though it's not well known, as most people assume that communism and atheism go hand in hand. But this is not necessarily so.

    Someone once wrote a book suggesting a blend between Zen Buddhism and Communism, further proposing that this would be the ideal future for humanity.

    It wasn't all that far-fetched, either...

    As for Einstein, during his initial period of interest in this ideology the problem was not communism, the problem was fascism and an insane German dictator.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    30 Aug '05 18:57
    I can't for the life of me see how being a communist should disgrace a scientist.
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    30 Aug '05 19:041 edit
    Originally posted by Metamorphosis
    Not sure why you posted this in the "spirituality" section, but as far as the pure ideal of communism goes, it has philosophical/spiritual merits. Even the Bible boasts some communist theory, as in shared property. To wit...this is from Acts 4:32-37...

    32 "All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions wa ...[text shortened]... s ideology the problem was not communism, the problem was fascism and an insane German dictator.
    Not that it really matters, but Einstein wasn't a Communist. According to Wikipedia, he was a co-founder of the German Democratic party, a liberal democratic socialist party in the 1920's that was for a time in one of the parliamentary majorities of the Weimar Republic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Democratic_Party

    It must be remembered that in popular, right wing paranoid parlance of the 30's, 40's and 50's, pretty much ANY liberal group was a "Communist front organization" including the ACLU, ADA, AFL-CIO and many other leftist political, social and labor groups.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    30 Aug '05 19:08
    Originally posted by kingdanwa
    Eistein's disgraceful past nullifies his credibility as a scientist.
    Is this another Abe Lincoln manoeuvre? Are you just being incredibly subtle?
  9. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    6803
    30 Aug '05 19:09
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I can't for the life of me see how being a communist should disgrace a scientist.
    Shouldn't a person's moral character be a factor in determining whether or not he speaks the truth?
  10. Joined
    23 Feb '05
    Moves
    1518
    30 Aug '05 19:12
    Originally posted by kingdanwa
    Eistein's disgraceful past nullifies his credibility as a scientist.

    "An investigation was conducted by the FBI regarding the famous physicist because of his affiliation with the Communist Party. Einstein was a member, sponsor, or affiliated with thirty-four communist fronts between 1937 and 1954. He also served as honorary chairman for three communist organizations."
    --http://foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/einstein.htm
    I wonder if this same argument is used against Christianity…

    For example:
    If you replace the word Einstein in the first section with Christianity and Science with Religion... you get the classic "learned" argument against the validity of Christianity... If you read Moldy Crows next posts and any post after it, you can see how this argument for the supposedly “learned” doesn’t pan out…

    example:

    Christianity’s disgraceful past nullifies its credibility (or truthfulness) as a religion...

    Like we all haven't heard this argument before... Its the sad banter and quotation of such events as the Crusades or Inquisitions or what have you....

    I wonder if maybe this would be the Spiritual turn in this avenue of discussion
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52617
    30 Aug '05 19:13
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Not that it really matters, but Einstein wasn't a Communist. According to Wikipedia, he was a co-founder of the German Democratic party, a liberal democratic socialist party in the 1920's that was for a time in one of the parliamentary majorities of the Weimar Republic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Democratic_Party

    It must be remembered ...[text shortened]... on" including the ACLU, ADA, AFL-CIO and many other leftist political, social and labor groups.
    Yeah, like Ok, I am a communist, so the peer review says back,
    we're sorry Al, no dirty pinko commie could ever do real science,
    so you can forget getting published here at Harvard.....
    Come on, can't you see what you are saying?
    You bitch about something that happened years before
    communism was a bad word, whether he was commie or not.
    It wasn't a world threat in the thirties and twenties so what is your
    big gripe? You think E not = to MC2 just because he may or may
    not have been a commie? give it a rest. Why don't you attack a
    REAL weirdo like Lyndon Larouche? Google tha name in if you want
    a headful.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    30 Aug '05 19:14
    Originally posted by kingdanwa
    Shouldn't a person's moral character be a factor in determining whether or not he speaks the truth?
    Not when it comes to math. Just ask Werner von Braun.
  13. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    30 Aug '05 19:22
    Originally posted by kingdanwa
    Shouldn't a person's moral character be a factor in determining whether or not he speaks the truth?
    The Christians on this site really show a laughable misunderstanding of science. Science is based on establishing descriptions of physical reality that can be tested experimentally. The "moral character" (whatever that means) of a scientist is utterly irrelevant has to whether his hypotheses are verifible by experiment. Ask the people at Hiroshima if E=MC2 (don't know how to do exponents).
  14. Joined
    23 Feb '05
    Moves
    1518
    30 Aug '05 19:27
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Christians on this site really show a laughable misunderstanding of science. Science is based on establishing descriptions of physical reality that can be tested experimentally. The "moral character" (whatever that means) of a scientist is utterly irrelevant has to whether his hypotheses are verifible by experiment. Ask the people at Hiroshima if E=MC2 (don't know how to do exponents).
    I wonder: Do you think Science is based on a Philosophical Understanding of the Nature of Reality as well as "Christianity"? Or is science just empirically based and Christianity has nothing?
  15. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    6803
    30 Aug '05 19:29
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Christians on this site really show a laughable misunderstanding of science. Science is based on establishing descriptions of physical reality that can be tested experimentally. The "moral character" (whatever that means) of a scientist is utterly irrelevant has to whether his hypotheses are verifible by experiment. Ask the people at Hiroshima if E=MC2 (don't know how to do exponents).
    Speaking of Hiroshima, we can add that to Mr. Einstein's disgusting past, further casting a shadow on any "contribution" he may have made on society.
Back to Top