1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Nov '14 16:31
    You can't educate the willfully ignorant. All attempts to teach the finer points of evolution ignore this primary problem. Until this problem is resolved, all other modes of debate are futile.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Nov '14 17:22
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You can't educate the willfully ignorant. All attempts to teach the finer points of evolution ignore this primary problem. Until this problem is resolved, all other modes of debate are futile.
    "You can't educate the willfully ignorant."

Cattle prod works pretty well. Or you can just leave them to themselves and let evolution do its work.

"All attempts to teach the finer points of evolution ignore this primary problem."

Thing is though is that with creation the concept is stated in a very basic way so that even the most willfully ignorant can understand. "In the beginning God created..."

But not so with evolution. "Big Bang" doesn't mean a thing, and the "finer points" aren't fine at all. The theory is complex and eludes most people. Most people go along with it because they can't think for themselves and are woefully ignorant.

Theology has the same kind of problem. A big name, a long title and letters, and people follow along believing the most erroneous things about what the scriptures teach.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Nov '14 17:36
    Originally posted by josephw
    Thing is though is that with creation the concept is stated in a very basic way so that even the most willfully ignorant can understand. "In the beginning God created..."
    The problem is that it is so dumbed down as to be practically meaningless, and really only serves to satisfy the uninquisitive.
    I could give you equally simple summaries of various disciplines or theories:
    1. The Theory of evolution: life changes.
    2. The Big Bang theory: In the beginning, the universe started.
    3. History: wars happen.
    4. Chemistry: atoms bond.
    5. Abiogenesis: life happened.

These are all just as descriptive and stated in a very basic way as "In the beginning God created..." yet oddly enough people are rarely satisfied with them as answers to anything. Why is that?
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '14 23:19
    ignorance cannot be attenuated except through information.

throw enough at a wall and some will stick.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Nov '14 23:44
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

Information requires interpretation and they are quite capable of mangling any fact to fit into their scheme.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    20 Nov '14 03:20

Don't forget the 'willful' part. It's kind of important.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Nov '14 06:05
    2 Peter 3:5-7 King James Version (KJV)

For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Nov '14 06:161 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The problem is that it is so dumbed down as to be practically meaningless, and really only serves to satisfy the uninquisitive.
    4. Chemistry: a ...[text shortened]... ..." yet oddly enough people are rarely satisfied with them as answers to anything. Why is that?
    It does not explain the why, who, and what as well as the creation explantion of the Holy Bible. Also, abiogenesis does not account for the first life and appears to violate the law of biogenesis.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Nov '14 15:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    4. Chemistry: a ...[text shortened]... ..." yet oddly enough people are rarely satisfied with them as answers to anything. Why is that?
    "...yet oddly enough people are rarely satisfied with them as answers to anything. Why is that?"

Why? Because those statements are void of authenticity, meaning, they are merely the product of a fallible human being, whereas creation implies authorship by a being above reproach.

People want the truth, but not from just another human who is as fallible as they are.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Nov '14 15:58

There is plenty of information, but not enough truth.

If all information were true we wouldn't be having this debate.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Nov '14 17:00
    There is plenty of information, but not enough truth.

If all information were true we wouldn't be having this debate.
    And if people used their brains they wouldn't come up with total ridiculous ages for the Earth, like 6000 years old. That is so much poppycock it makes me laugh.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Nov '14 17:19
    Why? Because those statements are void of authenticity, meaning, they are merely the product of a fallible human being, whereas creation implies authorship by a being above reproach.

People want the truth, but not from just another human who is as fallible as they are.
    I disagree. They are not void of meaning, and authenticity is hardly relevant when it is quite obvious even to you, that they are true.
    And you seem quite confused about what creation implies. There is no way that the creation of the universe implies that the author of Genesis was not human.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Nov '14 23:18
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And if people used their brains they wouldn't come up with total ridiculous ages for the Earth, like 6000 years old. That is so much poppycock it makes me laugh.
    Search through the Holy Bible and see what calculation you can come up as the age of the earth and tell us why we should believe your calculation instead.
  14. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '14 23:46
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Search through the Holy Bible and see what calculation you can come up as the age of the earth and tell us why we should believe your calculation instead.
    It is your job to square the bible with reality, not ours. I couldn't care less if the bible is wrong about something. To me that simply confirms that it was written by men who didn't know as much as we do now.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Nov '14 01:35
    Originally posted by C Hess
    It is your job to square the bible with reality, not ours. I couldn't care less if the bible is wrong about something. To me that simply confirms that it was written by men who didn't know as much as we do now.
    But if it is not wrong, then it could very well be inspired of God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree