1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 03:19
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am not going to read anymore on this thread. It has no redeeming qualities.
    Well, for the most part, this thread has been conducted quite well and there are some interesting philological points to be discussed further. It is actually your fellow Christian, Sumydid, who has if at all acted inappropriately. I don't know why you disapprove here.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 03:27
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I quoted quite a few translations, reputable ones too, that did not use the term homosexual. Anyway, what do I care about translations? Surely it is the original Greek that counts most.

And you can hardly consider other translations authoritative when the JW organisation considers most translations errant and has produced its own translation which differs substantially from all other previous translations. Aren't you being a hypocrit?
    Don't believe I am but you seem to want to make light of this terrible sin and make this scripture something one should doubt. It's clear what the Bible is condeming and it's homosexuality plain and simple.
    This is a major problem I see with a few here which is instead of simply reading what the Bible is saying there seems to be this desire to find some deeper meaning and trying to find some mystery when there is none.
    This always opens the door for doubt or confusion or to start making excuses to allow ones to go ahead with a sin such as this and then not know right from wrong because ones like you blurr the simple truth. There is no gray area here. Homosexuality is condemned and this is what this is saying......nothing more and nothing less.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 03:44
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Don't believe I am but you seem to want to make light of this terrible sin and make this scripture something one should doubt. It's clear what the Bible is condeming and it's homosexuality plain and simple.
    This is a major problem I see with a few here which is instead of simply reading what the Bible is saying there seems to be this desire to find som ...[text shortened]... omosexuality is condemned and this is what this is saying......nothing more and nothing less.

It's clear what the translations say; it is not clear what the bible says. You are not expert in Greek and you have not attempted to present any philological argument to support your claim that the meaning is clear. I am reminded of the saying 'Saying doesn't make it so'.

This is a major problem I see with a few here which is instead of simply reading what the Bible is saying there seems to be this desire to find some deeper meaning and trying to find some mystery when there is none.

I am not seeking a deeper meaning. It is not as if the terms 'malakoi' and 'arsenokoi' are unambiguous terms for homosexuals and I am just trying to find a way around this. These terms are not clear to begin with. Unless you can cite some other text where these terms unambiguously refer to homosexuals, you are not likely to persuade me on this point.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 03:581 edit
    [b]Don't believe I am but you seem to want to make light of this terrible sin and make this scripture something one should doubt. It's clear what the Bible is condeming and it's homosexuality plain and simple.

It's clear what the translations say; it is not clear what the bible says. You are not expert in Greek and you have not attempted to present a unambiguously refer to homosexuals, you are not likely to persuade me on this point.[/b]
    Just be careful is all I'm saying because some on this forum are confused when it comes to the truth. The Bible is crystal clear on this sexual matter and many are looking for the reason to find fault with it. If it appears that ones here who are looked up to for answers and we seem to be floundering in our answers when the Bible is clear on this, it can open up confusion for them.
    Again sometimes the easiest answers are the best instead of making it complicated.
  5. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 04:01
    G-man said
    ... you seem to want to make light of this terrible sin

Conrau K said
    I am not seeking a deeper meaning. ... I am just trying to find a way around this.
    That much is quite clear, and, understandable.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 04:07
    Originally posted by sumydid
    That much is quite clear, and, understandable.
    Read the context, I said 'it is not as if...I am trying to find a way around this'.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 04:07
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Just be careful is all I'm saying because some on this forum are confused when it comes to the truth. The Bible is crystal clear on this sexual matter and many are looking for the reason to find fault with it. If it appears that ones here who are looked up to for answers and we seem to be floundering in our answers when the Bible is clear on this, it can ...[text shortened]... for them.
    Again sometimes the easiest answers are the best instead of making it complicated.
    This passage is far from crystal clear. Can you provide a single reason for me to reconsider this opinion?
  8. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 04:09
    Read the context, I said 'it is not as if...I am trying to find a way around this'.
    Actually I didn't understand that to be the context but now that you say it, it makes perfect sense. Sorry.

You want me to remove the quote?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree