1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 18:433 edits
    It looks like ThinkOfOne is a bit of an expert on this subject given his keen observation that such was employed in the following:

"...Please reread my post. With that and gaining an understanding of ego defense mechanisms, hopefully you'll gain some much needed insight into yourself as well as the universe in general."
    Response to me in:
    http://www.redhotchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=137334&page=&page=13

"...They are poster children for ego defense mechanisms."
    Response to Proper Knob in:
    http://www.redhotchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=137334&page=11#post_2614789

"...Like I said earlier, "You should read up on ego defense mechanisms. More than a few seem to apply." Not only regarding her, but with the rest of your post as well."
    Response to Conrau K in:
    http://www.redhotchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=136781&page=5#post_2604727

"...Good luck in coming to understand yourself and the world in general. Like I said earlier, "You should read up on ego defense mechanisms. More than a few seem to apply."
    Response to Conrau K in:
    http://www.redhotchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=136781&page=5#post_2604275

"...I swear, it's like talking to a young teen. You should read up on ego defense mechanisms. More than a few seem to apply."
    Response to Conrau K in:
    http://www.redhotchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=136781&page=5#post_2603865

"...Oh, it's true all right. You could be the poster child for threatend egos. "The truth will make you free."
    Response to ChessPraxis in:
    http://www.redhotchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=136404&page=13#post_2597191

"...Take a look at "ego defense mechanisms" if you're interested in the psychology behind it."
    Response to Galveston75 in:
    http://www.redhotchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=136404&page=6#post_2590293

"...That you're trying to "play the victim" is pitiful. Your ego defense mechanisms seem to be in overdrive."
    Response to Galveston75 in:
    http://www.redhotchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=136404&page=4#post_2589844

"...You really should look into ego defense mechanisms. You're in denial. "The truth will make you free". But first you'll have to learn to how to set your ego aside so that you'll be able to see it. Once again, good luck to you."
    response to Conrau K in:
    http://www.redhotchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=135684&page=11#post_2578604

"...Evidently your ego defense mechanisms are in overdrive. Once again, you really have a lot to learn about yourself and the world in general"
    Response to Conrau K in:
    http://www.redhotchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=135684&page=11#post_2578080

Perhaps ThinkofOne would like to elucidate on this a little further and offer us his sage wisdom that we may improve ourselves. Perhaps he might refer us to some of the papers he has written. It surely isn't just his latest stock ad-hom! πŸ™‚
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 20:25
    Originally posted by Agerg
    It looks like ThinkOfOne is a bit of an expert on this subject given his keen observation that such was employed in the following:

"...Please reread my post. With that and gaining an understanding of ego defense mechanisms, hopefully you'll gain some much needed insight into yourself as well as the universe in general."
    Response to me in:
    ...[text shortened]... written. It surely isn't just his latest stock ad-hom! πŸ™‚
    Sounds like a band's first album title:

ThinkOfOne, Ego Defence Mechanisms
  3. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 20:30
    Ah.. brings to mind another Freudian concept: fixation.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 20:58

Response to me in:
    ...[text shortened]... written. It surely isn't just his latest stock ad-hom! πŸ™‚
    I love it when you write up a neat post like that.
    But ToO writes up nice posts tooπŸ™‚

And at least half of those times he mentioned it, he prolly had a point.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 23:499 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I love it when you write up a neat post like that.

Thankyou :]

I don't agree, I cannot think of anytime recently I've seen any substantial exchange between ToO and some other posters that would not be characterized as e-bullying or a slanging match.
    Particularly noteworthy is Thread 135684 which on my first viewing was only a few pages deep from the end and a cursory survey of the OP - on looking at it closer however it is obvious the guy is just heckling for a fight. The treatment he administered to Conrau K in that thread he has now meted out to me in page 9 and then from pages 11-14 in Thread 137334 "Lying is always bad -why???"

Essentially he asserts some proposition A, and then for ones every detailed counter against A with B,C,D,E,... he merely claims they have missed the point and reaffirms A again. Furthermore he makes absolutely no effort to explain how the point was actually missed (which I am often grateful for when other posters do this) - instead satisfying himself that he has comprehensively shot an argument to logical ruins merely by the supposition on his part A is true and the other guy "missed the point". If any of these have the character of nice posts then I'd question your defintion of "nice" in this respect.

I was going to suggest he is perhaps good at insulting people but I don't even think this is true. Unless he's outwardly brow-beating one of the more "gifted" people just for sh**s and giggles,Reveal Hidden Content
    (and yes I sometimes make the occasional unsustained snipe shot if I see something mind-numbingly obtuse, or keep up the slanging match if the other guy started it - sorry! can\'t help myself sometimes)
    his intention seems often to be some surreptitious effort to implant within the mind of his opponent doubt as to their intellectual fitness for any discussion with him (presumably to bolster his own ego!); but what appears to him as cleverly veiled sleights against a person's intellect and reasoning skills come across to me as oafish ad-homs with the pretention of being incisive and on target.

Perhaps you can correct me and refer me to some threads where he did actually engage somone in a debate, or finely rebut some point and subsequent counter rebuttals. Or perhaps once the shock and irritation as a result of his behaviour towards me has worn off I might find them myself though.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 01:47

[b]But ToO writes up nice posts tooπŸ™‚

I don't agree, I cannot think of anytime recently I've seen any substantial exchange between ToO and some other posters that would not be characterized as e-bullying or a slanging match.
    Particularly noteworthy is [threadid]135 ...[text shortened]... result of his behaviour towards me has worn off I might find them myself though.[/b]
    Particularly noteworthy is Thread 135684 which on my first viewing was only a few pages deep from the end and a cursory survey of the OP - on looking at it closer however it is obvious the guy is just heckling for a fight. The treatment he administered to Conrau K in that thread he has now meted out to me in page 9 and then from pages 11-14 in Thread 137334 "Lying is always bad -why???"

That one was very frustrating for me. I think there was a very important question as to what extent government can regulate a religious organisation without compromising the right to freedom. Obviously in some cases, government has a valid right to suspend religious freedom, such as in cases of national exigency. The question here is whether forcing a Catholic adoption agency to process same-sex applicants violates religious freedom. I understand that many may disagree with the arguments I raised in that thread but ThinkOfOne showed remarkable reluctance to respond to any of those arguments. Even Bbar intervened to point this out.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 01:48

[b]But ToO writes up nice posts tooπŸ™‚

Particularly noteworthy is [threadid]135 ...[text shortened]... result of his behaviour towards me has worn off I might find them myself though.[/b]
    I'm not going to refer you to any threads. Its not going to go like that with me.
    Firstly, I'll wait for ToO to answer, should be an interesting one.
    Secondly, he seems to have a general beef against christians who dont act very christianly.
    Sometimes his "rudeness" is uncalled for, but hey, I think they should be able to take it.

I guess , much like with Vishva, I dont have a problem with Thinkof . I actually like their provocative posts. But of course they should be able to back it up.

People do use ego-defense mechanisms, although sometimes its quite reasonable to do so and at other times, it is uncalled for.

I'm prolly not the best one to be engaging this topic with, I have respect for all the posters here and think of all of you as much more than just a "peanut gallery" (Freaky KBH).
    There are ego defense mechanisms going off all over the place on this forum, I reckon, although I wouldn't have thought that you were high on the list of people that use these defenses. Pretty low, actually.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 02:15
    I'm not going to refer you to any threads. Its not going to go like that with me.
    Firstly, I'll wait for ToO to answer, should be an interesting one.
    Secondly, he seems to have a general beef against christians who dont act very christianly.
    Sometimes his "rudeness" is uncalled for, but hey, I think they should be able to take it.

I guess , much ...[text shortened]... that you were high on the list of people that use these defenses. Pretty low, actually.

Neither I, Agerg or Proper Knob are Christians and yet we have been victims of his scorn.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 02:201 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    [b]Secondly, he seems to have a general beef against christians who dont act very christianly.

Neither I, Agerg or Proper Knob are Christians and yet we have been victims of his scorn.[/b]
    Yes, I noted your reply, a couple back, I just neglected to write it up.

So your not a christian? Thats news to me.

Anyway, christian or not, ToO should be able to back up his claims.
    He seems to think his points are self-evident ,but when the responder doesn't get him or agree (or whatever else), he should rephrase his arguement rather than just redirecting people to his former posts. Especially to intelligent debaters, such as yourself.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 13:27
    People do use ego-defense mechanisms, although sometimes its quite reasonable to do so and at other times, it is uncalled for.
    I think it's basically a guy thing. πŸ˜›
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 16:094 edits
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Particularly noteworthy is Thread 135684 which on my first viewing was only a few pages deep from the end and a cursory survey of the OP - on looking at it closer however it is obvious the guy is just heckling for a fight. The treatment he administered to Conrau K in that thread he has now meted out to me in page 9 and then from pages 11-14 in kable reluctance to respond to any of those arguments. Even Bbar intervened to point this out.
    It's not a discussion I'd get involved with because though I too would disagree, it is based, for now, more upon an opinion Reveal Hidden Content
    (something I \"reckon\" grounded upon my own stance with respect to organised religion and strict adherence to scripture)
    that certain freedoms and privileges granted to religious organisations should be questioned anyway (potentially a bid to render the argument about religious discrimination moot) - again that's just my opinion, can't do much with it yet.

ThinkOfOne on the otherhand seems to think that "what he reckons" is sufficient machinery to undermine any argument. Indeed Karoly makes the good point that he seems to think his points are self-evident; and though I think the same is true for all of us in that what we believe individually is self-evidently true to *each of us individually* (else instead of believing it we would at the least be suspicious of it), he doesn't seem to acknowledge that different people place higher (or lower) weights on different assumptions so to render his so-called self evident truths as anything but self-evident to his opponents..
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 16:18

Response to me in:
    oh my god!!!! i neeeeeeeed to read on ego defense mechanisms
  13. St. Peter's
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 18:30

Response to me in:
    what's really ridiculous about this is that everyone...everyone has ego defense mechanisms
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 00:16
    It's not a discussion I'd get involved with because though I too would disagree, it is based, for now, more upon an opinion [hidden](something I \"reckon\" grounded upon my own stance with respect to organised religion and strict adherence to scripture)[/hidden] that certain freedoms and privileges granted to religious organisations should be questioned anyway ...[text shortened]... der his so-called self evident truths as anything but self-evident to his opponents..
    Of course you may disagree with my arguments. I invited people to do so because I felt that there was an interesting problem of balancing religious freedom with secular authority. The point is that ThinkOfOne simply kept reasserting his contention and, when challenged, just made snide comments that I didn't understand it -- something which you too have experienced.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 00:29
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I think it's basically a guy thing. πŸ˜›
    Thats an ego defense mechanism πŸ˜€

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree