1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 15:24
    In 1876, Charles Russell, founder of the Jehovah's Witnesses, predicted that Christ would return in 1914. Since that prophecy failed, the society has predicted at least seven other dates when Armageddon would occur.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses also quietly abandoned a prediction that people alive in 1914 would live to see Christ’s kingdom on Earth--a major doctrine that lent urgency to the sect’s door-to-door warnings that a bloody end of the world is imminent.

Wiki
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 16:45
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    In 1876, Charles Russell, founder of the Jehovah's Witnesses, predicted that Christ would return in 1914. Since that prophecy failed, the society has predicted at least seven other dates when Armageddon would occur.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses also quietly abandoned a prediction that people alive in 1914 would live to see Christ’s kingdom on Earth--a major doctrine tha ...[text shortened]... lent urgency to the sect’s door-to-door warnings that a bloody end of the world is imminent.

Wiki
    What is worse is that, because they preached that the return of Christ was imminent, the members were discouraged from:
    - furthering their studies
    - buying property
    - having children
    - investing in business ventures.

In other words they basically had to put their lives on hold otherwise they would be seen as not believing in the prophecies of the WatchTower.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 17:371 edit
    @rajk999 said
    What is worse is that, because they preached that the return of Christ was imminent, the members were discouraged from:
    - furthering their studies
    - buying property
    - having children
    - investing in business ventures.

In other words they basically had to put their lives on hold otherwise they would be seen as not believing in the prophecies of the WatchTower.
    Laughably they also back tracked on calling them predictions and instead starting referring to them as speculations.

Imagine asking your followers to put their lives on hold for a failed speculation.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 17:44
    Yet, they do have a rather large following around the world.

Jehovah's Witnesses is a nontrinitarian, millenarian, restorationist Christian denomination. As of 2023, the group reported approximately 8.6 million members involved in evangelism, with around 20.5 million attending the annual Memorial of Christ's death.

Jehovah's Witnesses - Wikipedia

-VR
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 18:07
    @very-rusty said

Jehovah's Witnesses is a nontrinitarian, millenarian, restorationist Christian denomination. As of 2023, the group reported approximately 8.6 million members involved in evangelism, with around 20.5 million attending the annual Memorial of Christ's death.

Jehovah's Witnesses - Wikipedia

-VR
    It dropped dramatically after their failed predictions. They do though target vulnerable people and brainwash/control their membership.

(Cough cough cult).
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 19:45
    @very-rusty said
    So?
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 20:01
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    It dropped dramatically after their failed predictions. They do though target vulnerable people and brainwash/control their membership.

(Cough cough cult).
    From the story told, it does sound like a cult to me also.

-VR
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Mar '24 20:04
    @divegeester said
    So?
    So, many brain washed people! ๐Ÿ™‚

Now I am putting down your religion, how does it feel? ๐Ÿ™‚ You were in another thread putting down our Easter Holiday and beliefs. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Had you not attacked my religion I wouldn't have said anything about yours. (FACT)!!!

-VR
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 07:031 edit
    @very-rusty said

Now I am putting down your religion, how does it feel?
    But i am not a JW, I’ve never been a JW and I’ve never claimed to be one.

You are mistaken.
  10. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 10:45
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

The Jehovah’s Witnesses also quietly abandoned a prediction that people alive in 1914 would live to see Christ’s kingdom on Earth--a major doctrine tha ...[text shortened]... lent urgency to the sect’s door-to-door warnings that a bloody end of the world is imminent.

Wiki
    Before we get too hard on Mr. Russell, we might consider that people have been predicting the end of the world for a very long time, in fact Jesus specifically cautioned his disciples against predicting this. Mr. Russell was a bit foolish here, but so were many others.

Matthew 24:3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” They said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

Matthew 24:36 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 11:131 edit
    @mchill said
    Before we get too hard on Mr. Russell, we might consider that people have been predicting the end of the world for a very long time, in fact Jesus specifically cautioned his disciples against predicting this. Mr. Russell was a bit foolish here, but so were many others.

Matthew 24:3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell u ...[text shortened]... o one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
    You have the gift of missing the point and going off on a tangent. I dont think this is about Russell alone. This man started a church who he promoted as Gods mouthpeice on Earth. He claimed that the Watchtower was directly guided by God. He misled millions of stupid people. He was more than just a bit foolish. He is a false prophet, a false teacher misleading people and causing havoc in the lives of people.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 11:141 edit
    @mchill said

Matthew 24:3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell u ...[text shortened]... o one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
    Prophets have been predicting the end of the world since the beginning of time. So far every one of them has been wrong, but someday one of them will be right. The point to be made, I believe, is that each day could be your last, so you had better make it count, whether or not the rest of the world continues after you.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 13:18
    @moonbus said
    Prophets have been predicting the end of the world since the beginning of time. So far every one of them has been wrong, but someday one of them will be right. The point to be made, I believe, is that each day could be your last, so you had better make it count, whether or not the rest of the world continues after you.
    In the direction the World is heading, the end could come sooner than we think.

A Nuclear war would end the world as we know it and most of the people on it.

-VR
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 13:35
    @very-rusty said
    In the direction the World is heading, the end could come sooner than we think.

A Nuclear war would end the world as we know it and most of the people on it.

-VR
    The world will be here long after we’re gone, and most of the life on it will be better off without us.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 14:05
    @moonbus said
    The world will be here long after we’re gone, and most of the life on it will be better off without us.
    Do you really believe that, or just the FACT that you know you will eventually pass on. ๐Ÿ™‚

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree