1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 15:17
    "Enjoy the little things in life; maybe they are really the big things."

So says an IKEA advert that is running, as far as I know, in India, but presumably elsewhere too. Maybe they got it from someone else, but it doesn't matter here.

In so far as how your spiritual or philosophical 'framework' affects the way you live your life, how much truth is there for you in IKEA's advice?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 15:31
    Originally posted by FMF

So says an IKEA advert that is running, as far as I know, in India, but presumably elsewhere too. Maybe they got it from someone else, but it doesn't matter here.

In so far as how your spiritual or philosophical 'framework' affects the way you live your life, how much truth is there for you in IKEA's advice?
    A lot.
    Enjoy every moment, every experience because life is short. It is even more enjoyable in the Lord. Share every moment, thank him for everything that is good and pleasant.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 15:482 edits
    Originally posted by FMF

None.

Like advertising in general, it's trite and I imagine that it primarily appeals to a self-centered mindset and is designed to affirm it.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 15:57
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Like advertising in general, it's trite and I imagine that it primarily appeals to a self-centered mindset.
    I wasn't talking, of course, about whether IKEA is one of the little things or big things in life. The quote, I have now ascertained, is from the American author Kurt Vonnegut. I don't that he was talking about something like IKEA when he said it, and this thread is not about IKEA ~ or advertising generally, for that matter ~ either.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 16:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    I wasn't talking, of course, about whether IKEA is one of the little things or big things in life. The quote, I have now ascertained, is from the American author Kurt Vonnegut. I don't that he was talking about something like IKEA when he said it, and this thread is not about IKEA ~ or advertising generally, for that matter ~ either.
    (Psst FMF, do you work for Ikea?)

Personally I ignore everything from a company so obsessed with meatballs and marzipan.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 16:12
    Like advertising in general, it's trite and I imagine that it primarily appeals to a self-centered mindset and is designed to affirm it.
    I wonder if a focus on what are perceived as the "big things", at the expense of focus on the "little things", actually might often be a symptom of "a self-centered mindset". I've seen it myself in people I've known ~ so-called workaholics, ambitious people, people who feel a calling or feel driven to achieve "big" things etc.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 16:131 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I wasn't talking, of course, about whether IKEA is one of the little things or big things in life.

I didn't think you were.

The quote, I have now ascertained, is from the American author Kurt Vonnegut. I don't that he was talking about something like IKEA when he said it, and this thread is not about IKEA ~ or advertising generally, for that matter ~ either

I didn't think it was.

In general, advertising is trite and primarily appeals to the self-centered mindset and is designed to affirm it. Ikea's ad is an example of this. As such, I find NO "truth is there for [me] in IKEA's advice". That's all I was saying.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 16:13
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    (Psst FMF, do you work for Ikea?)

Personally I ignore everything from a company so obsessed with meatballs and marzipan.
    I think I traipsed around the IKEA store in Perth, Australia, once or twice. But I'm pretty sure I never bought anything. There isn't one were I am living now.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 16:14
    [b]I wasn't talking, of course, about whether IKEA is one of the little things or big things in life.

I didn't think you were.

The quote, I have now ascertained, is from the American author Kurt Vonnegut. I don't that he was talking about something like IKEA when he said it, and this thread is not about IKEA ~ or advertising generally, for th ...[text shortened]... of this. As such, I find NO "truth is there for [me] in IKEA's advice". That's all I was saying.
    See my post immediately before yours.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 16:31
    Originally posted by FMF

I think it is important sometimes to think long and hard about just what it is we want out of life and get our priorities in order. But although the phrase could be interpreted that way, it sounds more like its saying 'do this just in case'. I am not such a fan of the 'just in case' argument.
    We should try to enjoy the little things in life for better reasons than 'just in case'. We could do it because it will make us happier for example. To a large extent, happiness is a choice.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 16:39
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think it is important sometimes to think long and hard about just what it is we want out of life and get our priorities in order. But although the phrase could be interpreted that way, it sounds more like its saying 'do this just in case'. I am not such a fan of the 'just in case' argument.
    You make an interesting point. But it doesn't sound like a case of 'just in case' to me. I think it's more saying that if you overlook what might be thought of as being the "little things" in the pursuit of perceived "big things", then you might just be misunderstanding what it is that's actually going on ~ or being oblivious to it ~ along with what it is that does constitute a happy and balanced life in which our priorities are in order.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 18:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    I wonder if a focus on what are perceived as the "big things", at the expense of focus on the "little things", actually might often be a symptom of "a self-centered mindset". I've seen it myself in people I've known ~ so-called workaholics, ambitious people, people who feel a calling or feel driven to achieve "big" things etc.
    There seems to be an implication of "either / or" here. Was that intended? What do you see as being at play with the quote in regards to a self-centered mindset? Why do you think an advertising firm would choose it?
  13. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 18:454 edits
    Originally posted by FMF

14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 23:561 edit
    There seems to be an implication of "either / or" here. Was that intended? What do you see as being at play with the quote in regards to a self-centered mindset? Why do you think an advertising firm would choose it?
    I think IKEA chose it because they thought it sounded sort of wholemeal and deep and sought to attach these attributes to their cheap and cheerful products. I imagine the association they wanted potential customers to make was something along the lines of...

You may think our lime and vanilla coloured prefabricated bookshelves are but a little thing but they may in fact turn out to be a big thing in your life, look at these middle aged people reminiscing soft-focus-stylee about kissing when they were young and maybe hard up but very in love and having to make something with a hammer and nails between the smooches, while here, in the present day, they are looking at a photo album that has triggered the memory in a room kitted out with IKEA products and a squeaky clean grandchild...

I had my tongue in my cheek when I brought IKEA into it but it was an IKEA ad that reminded me of the quote. The IKEA ad is a bit of a philosophical atrocity in fact. The ad is for furniture?? Their juxtaposition and product placement is almost vulgar. So I absolutely understand your instinctive reaction.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 00:03
    There seems to be an implication of "either / or" here. Was that intended?
    I see what you mean and I think the quote could be seen in that way. I interpreted it as meaning 'don't overlook little things as they are important too' [i.e. not "either/or"] or 'it's little things that make up the fabric of life and not just big things', but the IKEA/Vonnegut quote does have the definite article "the" before "big things" which kind of does make it sound like a choice between little and big.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree