Most agnostics understand that fear of death is the main reason why some people are religious. This fear is only natural and normal and I dont blame them for this.
When humans are disappointed in reality they often create a little dream world of their own, where everything is perfect. The problem with this is that it does not solve their problem and in the end they will be confronted with the hard reality nevertheless.
Because I care about my fellow humans I will now try to solve your problem from an agnostic/realist point of view.
here are some facts:
- no one can know for sure if there is a god/afterlife or not.
- Your genes can live on forever in your children, and grandchildren etc.
- Your ideals/idees can live on forever in the form of books, your children, and grandchildren etc.
- A lot of original christian values are very noble, these include: pacifism, soccialism, using your talents to the best of your ability.
Using all these facts you can come to the conclusion that you can reach eternal life (even in a christian way), by using your talents to the best of your ability.
For example there was a man names Johan Sebastian Bach who lived during the 17th century who had a talent for composing music, He composed music all his life and dedicated his life to it. He has made bilions of people happy with his music. Now, more than 300 years later this man is still alive and will live on forever though his music!
Another way to reach eternal life is to make children and convince them of your Noble ideals. (soccialism, pacifism etc) Because children have a very high sense of justice it will be easy to convice them of your righteous ideas. Now your ideals will live on forever in your children/ grandchildren, etc (because they in turn will teach this to their children)
Some last advice:
- Never assume anything from anyone without thinking about it yourself first.
- Remember that humans depend on each other and they cant live without each other so helping another is helping yourself.
Always happy to help,