1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 21:07
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    God handed down to Moses ALL of the Mosaic laws.

Deuteronomy is filled with them. Do you really think Moses made them all up himself? Now I'm not saying all of the Mosaic laws were as theatrical as the Ten Commandments, but they DID come from God nonetheless.
    Yes, I believe Jesus and He said as much when He talked about Moses
    allowing divorce due to the hardness of their hearts.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 21:351 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Apparently God, having made man, knew what man's physical limits were and made a law to benefit man and allow time for man to worship and be thankful.

It's fascinating that the early tribal leadership had to issue the equivalent of a Fatwa to get the workweek down to 6 days. I say "Fatwa" because I imagine this to have occurred prior to the split into the Abrahamic religions. That assumption is subject to correction.
    It's the same reason unions had to be formed in this country after the turn of the century (I mean the early 1900s). Read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair for more details.
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 02:11

Deuteronomy is filled with them. Do you really think Moses made them all up himself? Now I'm not saying all of the Mosaic laws were as theatrical as the Ten Commandments, but they DID come from God nonetheless.
    no, he didn't make most of them up himself. most of them were either direct copies or inspired from previously existing codes of laws. he just gave it the flavor of the tribal deity he had selected for the hebrew tribes.
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 02:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ok you open minded (atheist) man, you might want to do a little research. During the Mosaic times people were basically slaves and worked 24/7, then came the Mosaic law.

So the next time you are out on your porch drinking a beer on your "off" day, why not give a debt of gratitude for the big Ten Mosaic laws instead of mindlessly attacking them?
    that concept was invented long before moses. he picked it up from the egyptians who picked it up from the babylonians.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 13:34
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    no, he didn't make most of them up himself. most of them were either direct copies or inspired from previously existing codes of laws. he just gave it the flavor of the tribal deity he had selected for the hebrew tribes.
    So Moses picked the God of the Hebrews.

I'm sure Abraham would find that ludicrous.
  6. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 15:35

God did not hand down the 10 commandments to Moses .......but instead Moses invented the commandments to keep his rowdy bunch of drunkards and womanisers in check.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 18:40
    Originally posted by Dasa
    God did not hand down the 10 commandments to Moses .......but instead Moses invented the commandments to keep his rowdy bunch of drunkards and womanisers in check.
    I suppose your authority is the vedas and your guru again, right?
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 19:17

he probably invented abraham too.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 19:31

Don't pay any more attention to VoidSpirit because he is an ignoramus IMO.
  10. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 07:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Don't pay any more attention to VoidSpirit because he is an ignoramus IMO.
    it always astonishes me how ignorant religious people are concerning the history of their religion and the origins of their religious dogmas and concepts.

it always upsets them to learn that there is practically nothing original in their religion. to learn that their precious religion is nothing more than an evolution of ideas that have existed long before their own religion was conceptualized by some nomad warlord trying to consolidate his warring tribes.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 15:513 edits
    The ethics of Jesus was mainly that His believers should receive Him after His resurrection and learn to abide in Him. That is He would be living and available as an indwelling presence.

He says that He and His Father will come into the one who loves him and make an abode with them.

"Jesus answered and said to him, If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word, and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make an abode with him." (John 14:23)

Jesus and His Father will come to His lover and make an abode with them.

The verb form of the noun abode is used in the next chapter. Jesus exhorts the disciples to ABIDE in Him.

"Abide in Me and I in you." (John 1:4a)

This unusual sentence means something like this - If we linger, abide, remain in Jesus, as a result Jesus will remain, linger and abide in us. This is not in any kind of sentimental sense. This is an actual presence of God in Christ Jesus within our innermost being.

If we learn to get into the realm of this Person, as a result of our learning to walk step by step abiding in Him, Jesus will get into our reactions, our attitudes, our tastes, our thought life.

"Abide in Me and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me." (v.4)

We have two important tracks. We have the Bible as the written word. Then we have the Holy Spirit which is Jesus Christ in His available and enterable "pneumatic" spiritual presence.

Paul wrote "the last Adam became a life giving Spirit" (1 Cor. 15:45)

Christ, in His resurrection, aside from His physical rising, also put Himself into a form in which He is available to be dispensed into man's innermost being. He became "a life giving Spirit" to GIVE divine life from within, to those in whom He abides.

This is a mingling, a union of men with an unusual Divine / Human Person who can blend His being with ours.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 17:17
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    it always astonishes me how ignorant religious people are concerning the history of their religion and the origins of their religious dogmas and concepts.

it always upsets them to learn that there is practically nothing original in their religion. to learn that their precious religion is nothing more than an evolution of ideas that have existed long ...[text shortened]... own religion was conceptualized by some nomad warlord trying to consolidate his warring tribes.
    It always astonishes me how ignorant atheists are concerning the creator God
    and the origins of the universe and life.

They do not even realize there is nothing original about there world view and
    people with defective minds, like themselves, were destroyed by God long ago
    in a worldwide flood.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree