1. Maryland
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 17:50
    The Ten Commandments make it a sin to work on the sabbath. Why? Is it just because god says so, or is it actually bad? Just because god says not to work on the sabbath is not a good enough reason for me. Everyone needs to rest, and rest is a good thing, but maybe Tuesday would do it. What if some one needs to work 7 days week to support his family? What if a student needs to study for an exam or finish a paper? In my view, working on the sabbath is not a sin and if god says it's a sin, he is being arbitrary, and if god punishes some one for working on the sabbath, he is doing so just because he feels he is not being respected, not because it is actually a sin. This makes god to be an insecure bully, i.e., a sadistic dictator who punishes people on a whim. In the bible, a man is ordered stoned to death just for picking up kindling on the sabbath!
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 19:31
    Originally posted by 667joe
    The Ten Commandments make it a sin to work on the sabbath. Why? Is it just because god says so, or is it actually bad? Just because god says not to work on the sabbath is not a good enough reason for me. Everyone needs to rest, and rest is a good thing, but maybe Tuesday would do it. What if some one needs to work 7 days week to support his family? Wha ...[text shortened]... im. In the bible, a man is ordered stoned to death just for picking up kindling on the sabbath!
    Perhaps if you read your bible, you'd get a clue and stop being so blasphemous.

After reading your post, I'd be surprised if any Christians fell for this. It's just another not-very-well-disguised reason for you to blather on about how God is an ogre, etc. You don't want an answer to your question, you just want another soapbox on which to point at God and say "What a monster!"

If you indeed really want to know why, you're not stupid, figure it out for yourself. If you can get your atheist blinders off, I mean.
  3. Maryland
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 19:49
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Perhaps if you read your bible, you'd get a clue and stop being so blasphemous.

After reading your post, I'd be surprised if any Christians fell for this. It's just another not-very-well-disguised reason for you to blather on about how God is an ogre, etc. You don't want an answer to your question, you just want another soapbox on which to point at God ...[text shortened]... ot stupid, figure it out for yourself. If you can get your atheist blinders off, I mean.
    Theists have blinders (ie the bible). Atheists are open minded! What about my post did you find not true? Can you say that you never worked on the sabbath?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 20:021 edit
    The Ten Commandments make it a sin to work on the sabbath. Why? Is it just because god says so, or is it actually bad? Just because god says not to work on the sabbath is not a good enough reason for me. Everyone needs to rest, and rest is a good thing, but maybe Tuesday would do it. What if some one needs to work 7 days week to support his family? Wha im. In the bible, a man is ordered stoned to death just for picking up kindling on the sabbath!
    Jesus says the Sabbath day of rest was made for man. Apparently God,
    having made man, knew what man's physical limits were and made a
    law to benefit man and allow time for man to worship and be thankful.

P.S. Jesus worked on the Sabbath in some cases and was criticized by
    the Pharisee for healing the sick, for example. But He said He was Lord
    of the Sabbath. But it would be a sin for someone to force his workers
    to work every day without one day a week off. It is not a sin for the
    one being forced to work in my opinion.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 20:06
    Theists have blinders (ie the bible). Atheists are open minded! What about my post did you find not true? Can you say that you never worked on the sabbath?
    Those "blinders" have opened my eyes, not closed them. Your eyes are still closed so your atheist blinders are your own beliefs that there is no God. So you are indeed blind to the possibilities. It's hard to understand something you don't believe exists. Deciding with no evidence that there is no God is not being "open-minded". You've already made your choice.

All that being said, of course I've worked on the Sabbath (not by my choice, I now have the right days off where I can get by without working on the Sabbath). But I am not Jewish. As I've said a bazillion times here, Mosaic law was for Jews.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 20:07
    Ok you open minded (atheist) man, you might want to do a little research. During the Mosaic times people were basically slaves and worked 24/7, then came the Mosaic law.

So the next time you are out on your porch drinking a beer on your "off" day, why not give a debt of gratitude for the big Ten Mosaic laws instead of mindlessly attacking them?
  7. Maryland
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 20:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    If this were true, why not go to church on Tuesday so the minister could enjoy the sabbath as god commanded. Are you a football fan? If so, I am sure you would never want to take pleasure in watching football players work on the sabbath.
  8. Maryland
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 20:18
    If you can prove there is a god, I will believe it, but no one has ever done it. You believe something that has never been proven. Just because you have strong feelings about something does not make it true. You are obviously capable of vast self delusion.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 20:20
    If this were true, why not go to church on Tuesday so the minister could enjoy the sabbath as god commanded. Are you a football fan? If so, I am sure you would never want to take pleasure in watching football players work on the sabbath.
    It is up to the congregation and the preacher as to what day or days
    he will hold worship services. It does not have to be on Sunday for
    some do it on Saturday. And most all that have Sunday meetings
    also have meetings Wednesday. It is up to you to pick the day if
    you are unable to fit this into your schedule. But don't feel like
    you are sinning if you can't attend church on Sunday. Jesus has
    made us who believe in Him free from the law of sin and death.
  10. Maryland
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 20:26
    As I've said a bazillion times here, Mosaic law was for Jews.[/b]
    So you must be exempting yourself from the 10 commandments because they are part of Mosaic Law. (You are probably like most Christian hypocrites and exempt yourself from any biblical laws you find inconvenient).
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 20:33
    If you can prove there is a god, I will believe it, but no one has ever done it. You believe something that has never been proven. Just because you have strong feelings about something does not make it true. You are obviously capable of vast self delusion.
    But simply saying A does not make B true does not mean B is not true.

Today, relativity is taken as one of the best explanations of the workings of the cosmos. Could a brilliant mind have conceived the theory of relativity 4,000 years ago? Probably not. That doesn't mean it's not true.

I don't deal in self-delusion in any other aspect of my life, why should I start now? I am not self-deluded. I simply believe in something I cannot prove. I don't see the delusional aspects of this. It's not like I am making something up. There is precedent.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 20:40
    So you must be exempting yourself from the 10 commandments because they are part of Mosaic Law. (You are probably like most Christian hypocrites and exempt yourself from any biblical laws you find inconvenient).
    This is not true, and you have some nerve telling me what I believe.

I'm not the one deciding not to believe in something because I find it inconvenient (God)(not to mention just a bit scary).

You're a bit free with the hypocrite word. Are you perhaps one of those militant, angry atheists? Sounds like it.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 20:43
    The 10 commandments were written by God's finger. They are God's laws
    and not part of the Laws of Moses. No one is exempt from God's laws.
    As a Christian hypocrite, I can ignore the laws of Moses, but not the
    laws of God.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 20:49
    The 10 commandments were written by God's finger. They are God's laws
    and not part of the Laws of Moses. No one is exempt from God's laws.
    As a Christian hypocrite, I can ignore the laws of Moses, but not the
    laws of God.
    God handed down to Moses ALL of the Mosaic laws.

Deuteronomy is filled with them. Do you really think Moses made them all up himself? Now I'm not saying all of the Mosaic laws were as theatrical as the Ten Commandments, but they DID come from God nonetheless.
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '11 21:00

P.S. Jesus worked on the Sabbath in some cases and was criticized by
    the Pharisee for healing the sick, for example. But He said He was Lord
    of th ...[text shortened]... y without one day a week off. It is not a sin for the
    one being forced to work in my opinion.
    Apparently God, having made man, knew what man's physical limits were and made a law to benefit man and allow time for man to worship and be thankful.

It's fascinating that the early tribal leadership had to issue the equivalent of a Fatwa to get the workweek down to 6 days. I say "Fatwa" because I imagine this to have occurred prior to the split into the Abrahamic religions. That assumption is subject to correction.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree