1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 22:34
    Originally posted by Coletti
    I don't recall how James Kennedy made the list. A couple other's I'm unfamiliar with. But the rest have earned there place in the evangelical hall of shame.
    James Kennedy would be the least likely out of that bunch to be put in a mental hospital.
  2. Sydney
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 00:59
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Please, please tell us more. It sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Has your dad ever been institutionalized?
    Funnily enough, my dad's totally anti-church, but he's still convinced that Benny's the 'real deal'.

Regardless, I'd sit through hours of those painful worship songs just to get a look at his suit. Seriously, it's made out this crazy material that makes Benny glow. You can see him in the dark from 300 metres away.

If that's not rock'n'roll, I don't know what is.
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 01:441 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I'm proud to say I only recognize four names from your list.
    I got six! Hey, where's Ted Haggard?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 13:04
    Place your vote

Benny Hinn
    Paula White
    Richard Roberts
    Jimmy Swaggert
    Jerry Falwell
    Jim Bakker
    Robert Shuler
    Josh Olsteen
    Rob Parsley
    James Kennedy
    Jesse Jackson?
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 13:30
    When you talk about people having fallen from grace I wonder what is this grace that they have fallen from? What is the grace? Is it relogious popularity, fortune, world fame, a big audience, a large following? What is the grace? How do I know that they were in the grace to begin with?
  6. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 13:37
    Originally posted by jaywill
    When you talk about people having fallen from grace I wonder what is this grace that they have fallen from? What is the grace? Is it relogious popularity, fortune, world fame, a big audience, a large following? ...[text shortened]... What is the grace? How do I know that they were in the grace to begin with?
    Grace, in this connection, means high public regard, among credulous constituencies.
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 13:38
    Originally posted by jaywill
    When you talk about people having fallen from grace I wonder what is this grace that they have fallen from? What is the grace? Is it relogious popularity, fortune, world fame, a big audience, a large following? ...[text shortened]... What is the grace? How do I know that they were in the grace to begin with?
    They pretty much told us they were. Example: Jim and Tammy Bakker gave us a tour of their home and invited all to marvel at their gold-plated bathroom fixtures. Ain't God good!
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 19:31
    They pretty much told us they were. Example: Jim and Tammy Bakker gave us a tour of their home and invited all to marvel at their gold-plated bathroom fixtures. Ain't God good!
    What about Jim Baker today? Last I saw him he had lost everything but decided to continue in the ministry anyway. Granted, he has been humbled, and much to his gain, but he has not deserted the faith. His ex-wife Tammy Faye, however, is a whole different story altogether.

I am curious of two questions, however. When he was going through the PTL scandel, were you happy to see it happen or were you greived for him? And now that it is over, do you think it possible God called him originally to the ministry and continues today to do so despite his past scandels?
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 20:091 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    What about Jim Baker today? Last I saw him he had lost everything but decided to continue in the ministry anyway. Granted, he has been humbled, and much to his gain, but he has not deserted the faith. His ex-wife Tammy Faye, however, is a whole different story altogether.

I am curious of two questions, however. When he was going through the PTL scand ...[text shortened]... od called him originally to the ministry and continues today to do so despite his past scandels?
    I recently saw him on TV and I had the feeling that it was like seeing an alcoholic man the liquor store. Same old syrupy theology complete with a new (but much better looking) wife beside him. Won't he ever learn? I had hopes for him when I saw a really good 60 minutes interview of him when he got out of prison. He seemed to be remorseful and had potential to turn a new leaf. There's a saying in AA that goes like this : "people, places, things" meaning that those issues pose a risk to return to the "problem" if not changed. But sometimes there is no convincing a drunk.

Tammy as I understand is not doing well physically with her lung cancer. I suspect she will die soon.

I was a teenager when their scandal broke out. I lived in NOrth Carolina at the time not too far from their PTL whatever you may call it. I remember telling my dad one day long before the scandal that I felt Bakker was gay, but that was just my intuition which turned out to be correct (at least in part). I was happy as I recall, but rather grieved for all those old people who lost thousands of dollars with his Heritage Village.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree