1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 05:29
    Eve was made out of one of adams ribs.
    please!!!! This is one of the most misogonistic things I have ever heard
    Does anyone know the reasoning behind this?
    Also...emaculate conception...I think that was made up.
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 06:47
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    It's impossible to know the real meaning behind those words since they were written so long ago, and the author is not here to explain them to us. The "reasoning" behind this is impossible to decypher. 😏
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 06:51
    Originally posted by bill718
    It's impossible to know the real meaning behind those words since they were written so long ago, and the author is not here to explain them to us. The "reasoning" behind this is impossible to decypher. 😏
    No . Nothing is impossible
    And if it turns out to be a lie... well that should be even easier to ascertain given the ever growing knowledge of our 'modern world'.(genetics,etc.)
    This line was put into the bible for a reason- put your thinking caps on people
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 07:02
    I doubt many religious people insist on a literal interpretation of that passage. I don't see why it is necessarily mysoginistic.

Many Christians do not accept the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception. This is afterall a Catholic dogma that was declared only 150 years ago and has always been subject to intense theological debate (St. Thomas Aquinas argued against it). Perhaps you mean the doctrine of the Virgin Birth or the Perpetual Virginity?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 07:21
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I doubt many religious people insist on a literal interpretation of that passage. I don't see why it is necessarily mysoginistic.

[b]Also...emaculate conception...I think that was made up.

Many Christians do not accept the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception. This is afterall a Catholic dogma that was declared only 150 years ago and has always ...[text shortened]... gued against it). Perhaps you mean the doctrine of the Virgin Birth or the Perpetual Virginity?[/b]
    Whether it is literal or metaphoric I strongly suspect that it was put in there to serve some purpose.
    Not misogonistic? Please. I am not a woman and am totally offended.
    (God made adam and then 'broke' off a rib to make eve. Is that right?)
  6. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 17:53
    I don't know if "broke off" part is right but He did "take" a rib out of Adam and made Eve out of that.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 22:53
    Whether it is literal or metaphoric I strongly suspect that it was put in there to serve some purpose.
    Not misogonistic? Please. I am not a woman and am totally offended.
    (God made adam and then 'broke' off a rib to make eve. Is that right?)
    I still don't see any inherent mysoginism. I would prefer to look at the original Hebrew. Perhaps there is a hidden pun. Perhaps 'rib' had some connotation that cannot be rendered in English. It is instructive also that the second creation story, Genesis 5, says that God created both man and woman at the same time. There does not seem to be any patriarchal theme behind this creation myth.

I think that your problem is that you interpret the fact that she came from Adam's rib to mean that Eve is peripheral and derivative. Like she was just aome afterthought. I think such an interpretation is flawed. God creates Eve because he sees that nothing else could satisfy Adam. He forms Eve from Adam so that they are both of the same species. The story is an affirmation of the fact that we are social beings who yearn for companionship with our own kind. It is not an anti-feminist story that women are just secondary beings. Put your Rabbinical hat on for once.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 23:08
    I still don't see any inherent mysoginism. I would prefer to look at the original Hebrew. Perhaps there is a hidden pun. Perhaps 'rib' had some connotation that cannot be rendered in English. It is instructive also that the second creation story, Genesis 5, says that God created both man and woman at the same time. There does not seem to be any patriarchal ...[text shortened]... ti-feminist story that women are just secondary beings. Put your Rabbinical hat on for once.
    Well called me short-sighted.
    You christians are very hell-bent on defending this part of the bible.
    I was thinking the rib may have had something to do with genetic cloning.
    Not misoginistic? Christianity HAS been very misogonistic historically. Mary Magdolins story has been repressed has it not?
    I've heard it put that she may have been as pwerful as Jesus in a lot of ways.
    (I just put this stuff out there because a lot of bible readers seem to come here)
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jun '09 23:38
    Well called me short-sighted.
    I was thinking the rib may have had something to do with genetic cloning.
    Not misoginistic? Christianity HAS been very misogonistic historically. Mary Magdolins story has been repressed has it not?
    I've heard it put that she may have been as pwerfu ...[text shortened]... ot of ways.
    (I just put this stuff out there because a lot of bible readers seem to come here)

I don't exactly identify as Christian at the moment.

The book of Genesis is part of Jewish scripture as well. It is silly to call it mysoginistic simply because of the behaviour of Christians. As I said before, I think it more an affirmation of our need for companionship and that man and woman need one another. Call it heterosexist if you want, but not mysoginistic.

I've heard it put that she may have been as pwerful as Jesus in a lot of ways.

There are a lot of silly conspiracies.
  10. e4
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 00:26
    Eve was the product of someone's DNA and born in a test tube.

This was done by some clever people - our ancestors called them Gods.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 01:42
    Nothing is impossible
    Construct integers a and b such that (a*a)/(b*b) = 2.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 03:04
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Construct integers a and b such that (a*a)/(b*b) = 2.
    just cause I cant do it doesn't mean it cant be done
    It is even possible for god to make a rock so big that she cant lift it
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 03:231 edit
    just cause I cant do it doesn't mean it cant be done
    It is even possible for god to make a rock so big that she cant lift it
    No. It really is impossible. The square root of two is an irrational number and so cannot be expressed as the quotient of two integers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_root_of_2#Proofs_of_irrationality
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 03:27
    No. It really is impossible. The square root of two is an irrational number and so cannot be expressed as the quotient of two integers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_root_of_2#Proofs_of_irrationality
    yep .i know
    I will even apologize
    Sorry for my short-sighted comment
    I am still sticking with my origonal stance though however unpopular it may be
  15. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 03:40
    In the Sumerian story (the original) "rib" was a pun on the name of the major local female deity. As usual an intimate element of the story was lost in translation. It was not misogynistic at all - it was an admission that we are all derived from both male and female traits.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree