1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 03:10
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think some of the Psalms sing of God laughing. I will see if I can find one.
    Well, what you claimed was "...God enjoys making fools out of those claiming to be wise, yet rejecting His word of truth..." and "God makes me laugh when I see it happen; and since I enjoy it, I figure He must enjoy it, too". So your claim is a pretty specific one about the mentality and personality of your God figure.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 03:151 edit
    He who sits in the heavens shall laugh;
    The Lord shall hold them in derision.
    Then He shall speak to them in His wrath,
    And distress them in His deep displeasure:
    “Yet I have set My King
    On My holy hill of Zion.”

“I will declare the decree:
    The Lord has said to Me,
    ‘You are My Son,
    Today I have begotten You.
    Ask of Me, and I will give You
    The nations for Your inheritance,
    And the ends of the earth for Your possession.
    You shall break them with a rod of iron;
    You shall dash them to pieces like a potter’s vessel.’”

(Psalms 2:4-9 NKJV)
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 03:21
    (Psalms 2:4-9 NKJV)
    Quite an ugly picture that these words paint, it has to be said.

How do you reconcile your "God enjoys making fools out of [people]" and the "Then He shall speak to them in His wrath, And distress them in His deep displeasure" that you have quoted.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 03:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    Quite an ugly picture that these words paint, it has to be said.

How do you reconcile your "God enjoys making fools out of [people]" and the "Then He shall speak to them in His wrath, And distress them in His deep displeasure" that you have quoted.
    Wisdom calls aloud outside;
    She raises her voice in the open squares.
    She cries out in the chief concourses,
    At the openings of the gates in the city
    She speaks her words:
    “How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity?
    For scorners delight in their scorning,
    And fools hate knowledge.
    Turn at my rebuke;
    Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
    I will make my words known to you.
    Because I have called and you refused,
    I have stretched out my hand and no one regarded,
    Because you disdained all my counsel,
    And would have none of my rebuke,
    I also will laugh at your calamity;
    I will mock when your terror comes,
    When your terror comes like a storm,
    And your destruction comes like a whirlwind,
    When distress and anguish come upon you.

“Then they will call on me, but I will not answer;
    They will seek me diligently, but they will not find me.
    Because they hated knowledge
    And did not choose the fear of the Lord,
    They would have none of my counsel
    And despised my every rebuke.
    Therefore they shall eat the fruit of their own way,
    And be filled to the full with their own fancies.
    For the turning away of the simple will slay them,
    And the complacency of fools will destroy them;
    But whoever listens to me will dwell safely,
    And will be secure, without fear of evil.”

(Proverbs 1:20-33 NKJV)
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 03:441 edit
    (Proverbs 1:20-33 NKJV)
    Yes, I've been taking a look.

Psalm 37:13 but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming.

Psalm 59:8 But you, O LORD, laugh at them; you scoff at all those nations.

Psalm 123:1 A song of ascents. I lift up my eyes to you, to you whose throne is in heaven.

Proverbs 1:26 I in turn will laugh at your disaster; I will mock when calamity overtakes you

Do you think these Hebrew songs reflect an accurate characterization of the God figure that you and all Christians now worship or are they more a historical artifact that demonstrate a partisan, vindictive 'Us v Them' attitude more rooted in human weakness with regard to feelings of hatred and mocking of opponents?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 03:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes, I've been taking a look.

[b]Psalm 37:13 but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming.

Psalm 59:8 But you, O LORD, laugh at them; you scoff at all those nations.

Psalm 123:1 A song of ascents. I lift up my eyes to you, to you whose throne is in heaven.

Proverbs 1:26 I in turn will laugh at your disaster; I will mock when ca ...[text shortened]... ude more rooted in human weakness with regard to feelings of hatred and mocking of opponents?
    I only know they also believed God would laugh at the fools that did not
    believe His words.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 03:581 edit
    I only know they also believed God would laugh at the fools that did not
    believe His words.
    It seems that some Hebrews used to sing songs or recite poems that characterized their (and your) God figure as vindictive.

Well, we know that the Mosaic Law, for instance, was 'cancelled' eventually, apparently. Right? So there are whole chapters of the OT which Christians believe no longer apply or were never actually (necessarily) in accordance with "God's will" but were what figures like Moses thought was right at the time.

Do these hyper-partisan verses written by Hebrews thousands of years ago still apply? Or are they akin to the tenets and details of the Mosaic Law? According to you, did Christ reconfirm - according to the NT - this characterization of your God figure as scoffing and mocking in a deeply vindictive way?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 04:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    It seems that some Hebrews used to sing songs or recite poems that characterized their (and your) God figure as vindictive.

Well, we know that the Mosaic Law, for instance, was 'cancelled' eventually, apparently. Right? So there are whole chapters of the OT which Christians believe no longer apply or were never actually (necessarily) in accordance with "God' ...[text shortened]... his characterization of your God figure as scoffing and mocking in a deeply vindictive way?
    “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near. Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those who are in the midst of her depart, and let not those who are in the country enter her. For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled."

(Luke 21:20-22 NKJV)
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 04:10
    “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near. Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those who are in the midst of her depart, and let not those who are in the country enter her. For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled."

(Luke 21:20-22 NKJV)
    OK. So where's the "God's" 'enjoyment' or 'laughing' or 'pleasure' or 'scoffing' or 'vindictive' aspect in this quote?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 04:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    OK. So where's the "God's" 'enjoyment' or 'laughing' or 'pleasure' or 'scoffing' or 'vindictive' aspect in this quote?
    This is not a time for laughing, but a time for vengeance.

For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no
    longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment,
    and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected
    Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how
    much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled
    the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified
    a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know Him who said,
    “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His
    people.” It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

(Hebrews 10:26-31 NKJV)
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 04:19
    (Hebrews 10:26-31 NKJV)
    Where is the "God's" 'enjoyment' or 'mocking' or 'laughing' or taking 'pleasure' or 'scoffing' or 'vindictive' aspect in this quote?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 04:22
    This is not a time for laughing, but a time for vengeance.
    This 'laughing" is mentioned in the Luke 21:20-22 quote? I am looking for a NT endorsement of the vindictiveness or a Jesus quote that supports or reconfirms the Hebrew hate-songs attitude.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 04:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    This 'laughing" is mentioned in the Luke 21:20-22 quote? I am looking for a NT endorsement of the vindictiveness or a Jesus quote that supports or reconfirms the Hebrew hate-songs attitude.
    Luke 21:22 Jesus says, "For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled."

The things written are from the Old Testament scriptures.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 04:561 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Where is the "God's" 'enjoyment' or 'mocking' or 'laughing' or taking 'pleasure' or 'scoffing' or 'vindictive' aspect in this quote?
    Many parts of Old Testament scripture written in a prophetic manner are not
    meant to be all fulfilled at one time as Jesus has indicated. This is one of
    the misunderstandings of the Jews and why they do not accept Jesus as their
    promised Messiah. He only fulfilled half on His first coming.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 05:02
    Luke 21:22 Jesus says, "For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled."

The things written are from the Old Testament scriptures.
    Yes, but the Mosaic Law is from the Old Testament scriptures. So Luke clearly cannot have meant that, for example. If Luke, in the New Testament, wanted to portray his God figure as mocking and scoffing and being vindictive in other ways, why did he not say so? Instead, your own religious literature is making you look like you are cherry picking, and it may be giving you the incorrect impression that you are spiritually justified in treating people - who have different beliefs from you - with contempt.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree