1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Mar '12 22:34
    New analysis of meteorites finds amino acids of specific kinds involving water and lower temps than you get just by plunging through an atmosphere.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-meteorites-reveal-life-components.html
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '12 23:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    New analysis of meteorites finds amino acids of specific kinds involving water and lower temps than you get just by plunging through an atmosphere.

A theist's answer: Put there by Satan, to deceive; the deception allowed by God, for the sake of free will, even though it tests faith. Some can resist; so it is not an unfair test. High fives all around. 😉
  3. Illinois
    Moves
    09 Mar '12 23:27
    Originally posted by JS357
    A theist's answer: Put there by Satan, to deceive; the deception allowed by God, for the sake of free will, even though it tests faith. Some can resist; so it is not an unfair test. High fives all around. 😉
    Another possible theist (or non-theist) answer: the physical and chemical structure of the universe, the laws of nature and the multitude of cosmological constants, are remarkably fine-tuned for the production of life.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 00:52

So what? Isn't this just more propaganda from those needing more money for
    their research?
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 01:23
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    So what? Isn't this just more propaganda from those needing more money for
    their research?
    Ding Ding Ding! The winner! So far. IMHO. YMMV.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 02:46
    Ding Ding Ding! The winner! So far. IMHO. YMMV.
    YMMV= You Make Me Vomit.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 03:55
    YMMV= You Make Me Vomit.
    Just pointing out that these forays into evidence that YEC (YECCH?) is wrong, have no purchasing power at all, with the true believers. The supposed YEC rebuttals have been the same as long as I can remember, which is almost as long as you can remember. In fact, these repeated presentations of evidence only reinforce in the minds of those so inclined, the argument that science is against religion.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 07:034 edits
    Just pointing out that these forays into evidence that YEC (YECCH?) is wrong, have no purchasing power at all, with the true believers. The supposed YEC rebuttals have been the same as long as I can remember, which is almost as long as you can remember. In fact, these repeated presentations of evidence only reinforce in the minds of those so inclined, the argument that science is against religion.
    No, I do not believe science is against all religion, just false religion. I believe
    true science and true religion are partners in truth. But we have some of these
    evolutionists wachos that think things can just pop into existence by accident.
    And if there is enough time a rock could become alive and under the right
    conditions it could eventually become a living thing that will eventually become
    a human like us. It these same beliefs were called a religion by atheist they
    would be calling evolution a myth or fairy tale. Go figure. In my religion, we
    have an awesome, powerful, and intelligent God who has so much energy that
    he can create matter instantly and does not need long periods of time to do it
    because He designs and directs the energy to produce what He wills. You on
    the other hand have a religon that must wait and wait forever until one thing
    after another accidently pops into existence and eventually accidentiy turns
    into something complicated enough to reproduce itself. That is the most absurd
    fairy tale anybody has ever thought up. Yet we have people claiming to be
    intelligent scientists, who seem to actually believe this nonsense. I think that
    to believe in an intelligent Creator that did it is the more sensible belief.

P.S. I think God enjoys making fools out of those claiming to be wise, yet
    rejecting His word of truth.
  9. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 11:51

What's the spiritual impact of this evidence for you, sonhouse?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 12:04
    I think God enjoys making fools out of those claiming to be wise, yet rejecting His word of truth.
    "God enjoys making fools" of certain people? Do you know of any other Christians who seek to project this particular trait onto the 'personality' of their "God" figure?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 14:45
    Originally posted by dryhump
    What's the spiritual impact of this evidence for you, sonhouse?
    It would be incredibly uplifting to find life elsewhere in the universe or our solar system, intelligent life would bring a spiritual awakening of a non-religious nature, that is to say non organized religion which I feel is ALL bogus. True spirituality has nothing in common with organized religion which is just a power center.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 15:49
    No, I do not believe science is against all religion, just false religion. I believe
    true science and true religion are partners in truth. But we have some of these
    evolutionists wachos that think things can just pop into existence by accident.
    And if there is enough time a rock could become alive and under the right
    conditions it could eventually beco ...[text shortened]... hink God enjoys making fools out of those claiming to be wise, yet
    rejecting His word of truth.
    "You on the other hand have a religon that must wait and wait forever until one thing
    after another accidently pops into existence and eventually accidentiy turns
    into something complicated enough to reproduce itself."

I don't, but I can see how you would think I do.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 16:141 edit
    It would be incredibly uplifting to find life elsewhere in the universe or our solar system, intelligent life would bring a spiritual awakening of a non-religious nature, that is to say non organized religion which I feel is ALL bogus. True spirituality has nothing in common with organized religion which is just a power center.
    "It would be incredibly uplifting to find life elsewhere in the universe or our solar system, intelligent life would bring a spiritual awakening of a non-religious nature,..."

Intelligent life has been found by humans here on earth and the results have been less than uplifting, although they are informative. We can start almost anywhere. Starting with the Cartesians, animals like cats and dogs were believed to be insensate, unconscious robots that could be burned alive without suffering. Africans were thought by some of the "great thinkers" of Europe to be like those animals. At the borderline, at present, we have some large-brained animals and ones sharing 98+% of our DNA to consider, but evidence concerning the porpoises and chimps are not causing a great spiritual awakening in humans.

Eventually the scope of life forms that are awarded recognition as human does expand, generally to include those who are willing to kill and die for that privilege; thereby demonstrating their humanity.

Of course, our encounters with alien beings always carries the risk that we will be the ones seeking recognition. See "To Serve Man" on the Twilight Zone.

So I believe the case is yet to be made that finding life, even intelligent life somewhere out there, will bring about a spiritual awakening that is significantly beyond that which has been brought about in similar findings here on earth.
  14. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 16:38
    This begs the question, what is spirituality? Or, if you prefer, what do you consider true spirituality?
  15. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    10 Mar '12 17:184 edits
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Another possible theist (or non-theist) answer: the physical and chemical structure of the universe, the laws of nature and the multitude of cosmological constants, are remarkably fine-tuned for the production of life.
    I am afraid you have fallen victim to the all-to-extremely-common fallacy of probability by the layperson who hasn't studied ( and correctly understood ) the science of probability theory like I have:

Since we do not know that it is possible (let alone probable) to have a universe with cosmological constants being different from what they are in our universe, we cannot deduce anything whatsoever about the probability of the cosmological constants being different (let alone significantly different) from what they are.
    There is no evidence that the cosmological constants could have been different from what they are ( although, short of actually finding another universe with different constants, it is difficult to see what would constitute 'evidence' of this anyway! ) so, therefore, for all we know, it could be inevitable that cosmological constants are what they are and are what they are due to merely the limits of what is possible ( as opposed to the implied ( by some people ) divine intervention ).

Hence there is absolutely no evidence nor reason to believe in the existence of 'fine-tuning'.

P.S. I think sonhouse should have put this thread in the science forum.
    perhaps he put it here by mistake?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree