1. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 16:40
    I thought about it for a while, and... remembered of nothing...
    The Bible was written by men, every little bit of it. Isn't it possible SOME parts of it were a bit exaggerated?
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 16:42
    Originally posted by serigado
    The Bible was written by men, every little bit of it. Isn't it possible SOME parts of it were a bit exaggerated?
    Yes
  3. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 17:03
    Yes
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 17:31
    I suppose you are free to pick and choose what is "exaggerated" according to your personal tastes/logic. The rest you can just ignore as you please.
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 17:371 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I suppose you are free to pick and choose what is "exaggerated" according to your personal tastes/logic. The rest you can just ignore as you please.
    But I wanted Evidences Bible was Holy and Divine and the Absolute Supra Book to follow.
    Until now, Coran as a lot more evidence.
  6. Gangster Land
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 17:381 edit
    Or you could decide that you have managed to figure out just which parts are not exaggerated, just which parts are literal, just which parts of allegorical, and claim that anyone who does not agree with you is not a "true" Christian.

After all, if your going to have a club, you may as well have a club house, and if you have a club house ya gotta decide who is allowed in and who isn't.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 17:491 edit
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Or you could decide that you have managed to figure out just which parts are not exaggerated, just which parts are literal, just which parts of allegorical, and claim that anyone who does not agree with you is not a "true" Christian.

After all, if your going to have a club, you may as well have a club house, and if you have a club house ya gotta decide who is allowed in and who isn't.
    Really its a great book is'nt it? In the end it will read what you want it to read.... After that let God be the judge in terms of what you want it to read.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 17:502 edits
    But I wanted Evidences Bible was Holy and Divine and the Absolute Supra Book to follow.
    Until now, Coran as a lot more evidence.
    Coran? I've never heard it called the Coran. Anyhew, what we are looking for is truth, no? Do you not see any truths in the Bible? Also, what makes the Coran more believable in your view?

Edit: Where is Ahoysney when you need him!!!
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 18:01
    Coran? I've never heard it called the Coran. Anyhew, what we are looking for is truth, no? Do you not see any truths in the Bible? Also, what makes the Coran more believable in your view?

Edit: Where is Ahoysney when you need him!!!
    Well, Coran is my personal translation, how is it? Kuran? I could google, it, but I don't have the patience.
    Truth's in the Bible? There are somethings correct, others that I agree, someothers incorrect, some others I don't agree.
    So, what makes the Bible the absolute truth?
    Coran is said to possess a mathematical beauty impossible to do by man. It is said it's the words of God himself, written by Muhammed. And it makes a lot more sense then the Bible in lots of things.
    Not that I'm defending either. But if I believed one of these "western" religions, I'd go to Muslim.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 21:11
    Well, Coran is my personal translation, how is it? Kuran? I could google, it, but I don't have the patience.
    Truth's in the Bible? There are somethings correct, others that I agree, someothers incorrect, some others I don't agree.
    Coran is said to possess a mathematical beauty impossible to do by man. It is sa ...[text shortened]... defending either. But if I believed one of these "western" religions, I'd go to Muslim.
    You are talking in generalities. What specifically are you talking about? You say that the Bible is correct in some places but not others. How is this conducive to a debate? I suppose I could say yes or no but would have no idea specifically what I am agreeing or disagreeing with.
  11. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 21:27
    There have been many debates touching on the subject of the bible and few people will say that the bible(yes which one?) is not open to interpretation, and different sorts of interpretation at that; language, understanding of language, analogy, metaphor etc etc. The New Testament in particular is a bit muddy re how the books were chosen and what was included/left out....
    but I'm sure there are biblical students on this site that could elaborate at length.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 22:26

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 00:49

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 00:51
    Coran is said to possess a mathematical beauty impossible to do by man. It is sa ...[text shortened]... defending either. But if I believed one of these "western" religions, I'd go to Muslim.
    So you want to join a religion started by a guy who got the hots for a 9 yr old and married her ? What do you know of Islam? Right now is the month of Ramadhan in which muslims are fasting from 6am to 6pm and eating from 6pm to 6am. During the daytime fast they are not even supposed to swallow their saliva. You can handle that? Which half would you like to be in the 'utterly crazy' half or the 'ordinary crazy' half?

I know you read it already but here is an excerpt from Sam Harris article (posted by Agryson recently) :

The problem is that the concept of atheism imposes upon us a false burden of remaining fixated on people’s beliefs about God and remaining even-handed in our treatment of religion. But we shouldn’t be fixated, and we shouldn’t be even-handed. In fact, we should be quick to point out the differences among religions, for two reasons:

First, these differences make all religions look contingent, and therefore silly. Consider the unique features of Mormonism, which may have some relevance in the next Presidential election. Mormonism, it seems to me, is—objectively—just a little more idiotic than Christianity is. It has to be: because it is Christianity plus some very stupid ideas. For instance, the Mormons think Jesus is going to return to earth and administer his Thousand years of Peace, at least part of the time, from the state of Missouri. Why does this make Mormonism less likely to be true than Christianity? Because whatever probability you assign to Jesus’ coming back, you have to assign a lesser probability to his coming back and keeping a summer home in Jackson County, Missouri. If Mitt Romney wants to be the next President of the United States, he should be made to feel the burden of our incredulity. We can make common cause with our Christian brothers and sisters on this point. Just what does the man believe? The world should know. And it is almost guaranteed to be embarrassing even to most people who believe in the biblical God.

The second reason to be attentive to the differences among the world’s religions is that these differences are actually a matter of life and death. There are very few of us who lie awake at night worrying about the Amish. This is not an accident. While I have no doubt that the Amish are mistreating their children, by not educating them adequately, they are not likely to hijack aircraft and fly them into buildings. But consider how we, as atheists, tend to talk about Islam. Christians often complain that atheists, and the secular world generally, balance every criticism of Muslim extremism with a mention of Christian extremism. The usual approach is to say that they have their jihadists, and we have people who kill abortion doctors. Our Christian neighbors, even the craziest of them, are right to be outraged by this pretense of even-handedness, because the truth is that Islam is quite a bit scarier and more culpable for needless human misery, than Christianity has been for a very, very long time. And the world must wake up to this fact. Muslims themselves must wake up to this fact. And they can.

You might remember that Thomas Friedman recently wrote an op-ed from Iraq, reporting that some Sunni militias are now fighting jihadists alongside American troops. When Friedman asked one Sunni militant why he was doing this, he said that he had recently watched a member of al-Qaeda decapitate an 8-year-old girl. This persuaded him that the American Crusader forces were the lesser of two evils.

Okay, so even some Sunni militants can discern the boundary between ordinary crazy Islam, and the utterly crazy, once it is drawn in the spilled blood of little girls. This is a basis for hope, of sorts. But we have to be honest—unremittingly honest—about what is on the other side of that line. This is what we and the rest of the civilized, and the semi-civilized world, are up against: utter religious lunacy and barbarism in the name of Islam—with, I’m unhappy to say, some mainstream theology to back it up.

To be even-handed when talking about the problem of Islam is to misconstrue the problem. The refrain, “all religions have their extremists,” is bull$$ —and it is putting the West to sleep. All religions don’t have these extremists. Some religions have never had these extremists. And in the Muslim world, support for extremism is not extreme in the sense of being rare. A recent poll showed that about a third of young British Muslims want to live under sharia law and believe that apostates should be killed for leaving the faith. These are British Muslims. Sixty-eight percent of British Muslims feel that their neighbors who insult Islam should be arrested and prosecuted, and seventy-eight percent think that the Danish cartoonists should be brought to justice. These people don’t have a clue about what constitutes a civil society. Reports of this kind coming out of the Muslim communities living in the West should worry us, before anything else about religion worries us.
  15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    10 Oct '07 02:53
    Originally posted by TheSkipper

Mrrrowww!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree