1. not of this world
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 21:241 edit
    If one believes in evolution, life itself is just there by chance. Human life is there by chance too, and so an animal's life. It's impossible to say that human life is of greater value than the life of an animal, as both are simply the product of chance.
    Only if one believes in a creator who created life, it becomes possible to differentiate between human and animal life and to attach value to human life. Why not kill a product of chance?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 21:32
    Originally posted by louisXIV
    If one believes in evolution, life itself is just there by chance. Human life is there by chance too, and so an animal's life. It's impossible to say that human life is of greater value than the life of an animal, as both are simply the product of chance.
    Only if one believes in a creator who created life, it becomes possible to differentiate between human and animal life and to attach value to human life. Why not kill a product of chance?
    It's impossible to say that human life is of greater value than the life of an animal, as both are simply the product of chance.

What? Anyone can value anything for any reason. Who are you to say what I cannot value?
  3. not of this world
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 21:401 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [b]It's impossible to say that human life is of greater value than the life of an animal, as both are simply the product of chance.

What? Anyone can value anything for any reason. Who are you to say what I cannot value?[/b]
    What? Anyone can value anything for any reason. Who are you to say what I cannot value?[/b]

So how will you evaluate? On which basis? Let's return to the point. On which base would you say human life is more important than animal life if both are just there by chance, and came out of exactly the same source (as long as one believes in evolution)?
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 22:01
    What? Anyone can value anything for any reason. Who are you to say what I cannot value?

So how will you evaluate? On which basis? Let's return to the point. On which base would you say human life is more important than animal life if both are just there by chance, and came out of exactly the same source (as long as one believes in evolution)?[/b]
    I don't know what you mean by a "base" but value is self evident. You value what you value. I suppose you value human life because you think God values it and you value what you think God values; but on what "base" do you value what you think God values?
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 23:30
    On which base would you say human life is more important than animal life if both are just there by chance, and came out of exactly the same source (as long as one believes in evolution)?
    Shared genes. I share more genes with another human, so value their life more. By helping out another human, however distantly related (but they must ultimately be a relation), I am adding fitness to some of my genes in them. Also, of course, helping them and valueing others has other, more direct, benefits; they may become a mate, or help me to hunt food, prey which I could not bring down myself.

There are many evolutionary reasons for valueing others like yourself - but mainly because they are probably related (remember that we evolved in small "kin" communities).
  6. Meddling with things
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 23:50

So how will you evaluate? On which basis? Let's return to the point. On which base would you say human life is more important than animal life if both are just there by chance, and came out of exactly the same source (as long as one believes in evolution)?[/b]
    so god created life both human and non human. whats the difference.

How will you evaluate?

Let me guess, you'll take account of the folk myths of a bronze age tribe as reorded by an iron age tribe and subsequently amended by the Romans, various Europeans and interpreted by your good self.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 00:22
    Logically, then, we should kill all the beasts: Bambi, his mother, and all their kin. Kill. Kill. Kill.
  8. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 00:31

I'd value human life more on the basis that I'm a human.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 00:381 edit
    Quite on the contrary, evolutionists are acutely aware of the value of other species. We don't believe in the superiority of humans except that we can (and have responsiblities as a result) effect the lives of all life forms on earth, to the point of being able, almost, to kill everything on earth which would of course be just as deadly for humans as anything else, realizing we live in a connected system of life, everything effects everything else. We have minds, we don't expect monkeys to write music, we accept what they CAN do. We don't expect monkeys to save our butts if we screw up and we certainly don't expect some god to save our sorry butts if we screw up so badly most of the life forms on earth go extinct, including humans. We have no special place in the universe that some god will be looking over our shoulders and intervene at the last minute, that much has already been obvious. If we launch the big one as could happen with the rogue nation North Korea or whatever, no god will be coming around and as the first bombs fall, raises its finger or whatever, and launch the bombs into the sun to save our sorry selves. That won't happen, otherwise Hiroshima and Nagisaki would have been stopped, maybe by means that we would attribute to human failure and not even knowing it was from a god. The fact that did not happen says we could just as easily launch 10,000 of the helweapons and no god would intervene. So that says we have no special place in the universe. If you don't think that, look at the fate of dinosaurs, it appears they were done in by a big meteor. The same thing could happen to us at any time. The fact that we are spreading throughout the solar system now may enable us to avoid that fate if we have the will to do it which seems to be happening in the form of the radar and optical networks on the lookout for such killer rocks and future techniques to divert the deadliest ones. That is not god doing that kind of work, that is man. We are the first beings to evolve that has that capability so from that standpoint it will be mankind saving the planet not some god.
  10. Australia
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 05:29
    Correct life is here by chance, and all life is equal..... the ecosystem is very complex and there are many interactions between species, some of which provide us with crucial ecological services. If we were the only species on this planet not only would it be a boring and uninspiring place (as most humans I could do without), but we too could not survive.

The sooner the "non careing blinded by their own greed ignorant retards" wake up from their existence and realise this..... the better. Alternatively culling the surplus population would be preferable, but thats just wishful thinking.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 06:38
    So, let me get this straight, you are saying that because you have a strong need to feel more important than all other animals you feel that you must believe in a creator? Does this in anyway provide evidence of the existence of a creator? No.
    Have you seen a diamond? Have you seen a waterfall? Are you incapable of valueing them because they occured by chance? Or must some creator declare them to be valuable so that you can appreciate them?
    Whether evolution takes place or not is a seperate issue from whether you life is driven by chance. Even if you use the concept of a creator you can show no evidence that all you actions are not the direct result of chemical and biological influences and are entirely driven by chance.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 07:01
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [b]It's impossible to say that human life is of greater value than the life of an animal, as both are simply the product of chance.

Anyone can value anything for any reason.

So therefore anyone can also de-value anything for any reason?
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 07:02
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    [b]Anyone can value anything for any reason.

So therefore anyone can also de-value anything for any reason?[/b]
    If they feel something has no value to them, then to them it has no value.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 07:05
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    If they feel something has no value to them, then to them it has no value.
    So if you feel that human life has no value you can just go and wipe out as much of it as you please?

Not surprising that the likes of Hitler and Stalin embraced the theory of Evolution.
  15. London
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 07:39
    If one believes in evolution, life itself is just there by chance.

Er, no. Evolutionary theories merely deals with the development of species, not the origin of life itself.

It's impossible to say that human life is of greater value than the life of an animal, as both are simply the product of chance.

Alternatively, one could say that human life has more value than animal life precisely because we are more highly evolved.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree