1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 16:26
    All kinds of mammals have tear ducts, but man is the only creature that cries as a result of emotional release. Weird that man alone is so unique...
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 16:31
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    All kinds of mammals have tear ducts, but man is the only creature that cries as a result of emotional release. Weird that man alone is so unique...
    I find it more weird that you think this somehow disproves evolution or even contradicts it.
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 16:34
    My cat cries when he's sad. But he's a drama-queen.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 16:35
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I find it more weird that you think this somehow disproves evolution or even contradicts it.
    No you don't. Instead, you're stalling for time, racking your brain for some evolutionary reason that man needs to emote.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 16:35
    Originally posted by bbarr
    My cat cries when he's sad. But he's a drama-queen.
    Ba-dum-dish!
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 16:431 edit
    And my cat purrs when sad, and dogs howl or yelp etc. We each have our own way of expressing emotion. Nothing really weird about it.

Tear ducts of course are not for crying with, they are for draining the liquid that keeps the eyes moist. The only relationship they have to crying, is that they fail to cope with the extra quantities.

As for crying itself, almost all infant animals cry, they just don't all shed tears when doing so.

As for exactly why we shed tears when we cry, one suggestion I have seen is that it excretes certain chemicals and hormones that reduce our depression.

Whats most interesting is that you are willing to credit evolution with this interesting behavior even though you have claimed elsewhere that you don't think evolution is responsible for the existence of man.
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 17:04
    Male human beings have nipples. Weird that god felt it necessary to equip us so. Not to mention ear muscles. And RUBBISH TEETH! And whale hind legs bones. And why did he make kiwis lay such huge eggs? That's just cruel. And panda bear thumbs and cetera...
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 17:07
    Just some intersting differances that are posted here.

http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/sciences/scienc8.htm

Something I've thought of about humans and if we did evolve, it would seem to me that if we are the result of all the trial and error of evolution constantly improving a species and the end result as we see it now is the human, why would we not have the best attributes of all our former subjects. Why are we not the strongest, the fastest, the best eyes, lungs, hearing, strenght, etc?
    Some I know will argue that we developed the biggest and the most complex brain. But in light of let's say a lion that could kill us with one paw, why did we not keep the strength of the gorilla, or the climbing ability of a gibbon? Or the hearing of a bat to know the lion is coming from a greater distance? That radar would really help us out at times.
    So I would think that we should be the best that evolution could develope up to this point on all levels, but I just don't see that....
  9. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 17:24
    No you don't. Instead, you're stalling for time, racking your brain for some evolutionary reason that man needs to emote.
    If you cry when you are in distress, could that mean you would more likely receive help from others?
    Pretty obvious if you think about it.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 17:56
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat

Male human beings have nipples. Weird that god felt it necessary to equip us so. Not to mention ear muscles. And RUBBISH TEETH! And whale hind legs bones. And why did he make kiwis lay such huge eggs? That's just cruel. And panda bear thumbs and cetera...
    Cruel also, Acat, that human beings alone come equipped with an immortal

soul while the lower order creation of the food chain's life is in its blood?

11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 17:56
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Why are we not the strongest, the fastest, the best eyes, lungs, hearing, strenght, etc?
    Yes, why are we not? A flaw in the creation? The intelligent design was not so intelligent after all?

Didn't you just show us a reason *not* to believe in creation but in the scientific evolution theory? Because evolution is not intelligent! Evolution doesn't have any goal! The product of evolution is not the human being!
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 18:00
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

Yes, why are we not? A flaw in the creation? The intelligent design was not so intelligent after all?

Didn't you just show us a reason *not* to believe in creation but in the scientific evolution theory? Because evolution is not intelligent! Evolution doesn't have any goal! The product of evolution is not the human being!
    In your view, what is the directional zenith or end product?
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 18:01
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

No there is no flaw unless you look at the small picture and do not understand that animals were originally created by God to be under our subjection as was evident when God brought all the animals to Adam to be named and then later while they were in the Ark. God made them all and can make them to be peaceful.
    So the human body as we are made would not have to have the strenght of a gorilla or elephant as we would never be in danger of any animals.
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 18:33
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Cruel also, Acat, that human beings alone come equipped with an immortal

soul while the lower order creation of the food chain's life is in its blood?

In archaeology, it's often said that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence", however without any evidence, it is not considered sound to ascribe high likelihood to a speculated theory or entity. If we do have an immortal (immortal! it just sounds preposterous!) soul however, alone in creation, then yes, it is a questionable value system this creator has.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 20:15
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    In your view, what is the directional zenith or end product?
    There is no end product. It just keeps going.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree