1. Standard memberHand of Hecate
    Merciless Vagabond
    Deep in it.
    Joined
    08 Feb '05
    Moves
    14614
    09 Feb '13 02:20
    Er, excuse me, but, You said there were no other Gods. WTF?

    "On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn--both men and animals--and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD."
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    09 Feb '13 03:491 edit
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Er, excuse me, but, You said there were no other Gods. WTF?

    "On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn--both men and animals--and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD."
    Are you sure it said there are no other gods?

    My suspicion is that the Bible is really one god's book out of many gods. El is not YHWH for instance. El is the creator and YHWH was one of his kids who was responsible for Israelites or Judah or something.
  3. Standard memberHand of Hecate
    Merciless Vagabond
    Deep in it.
    Joined
    08 Feb '05
    Moves
    14614
    09 Feb '13 04:231 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Are you sure it said there are no other gods?

    My suspicion is that the Bible is really one god's book out of many gods. El is not YHWH for instance. El is the creator and YHWH was one of his kids who was responsible for Israelites or Judah or something.
    Isaiah 45:5 says there is only one God: "I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God besides me."

    You can't have it both ways, which, of course, is exactly my point.
  4. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    09 Feb '13 06:531 edit
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Isaiah 45:5 says there is only one God: "I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God besides me."

    You can't have it both ways, which, of course, is exactly my point.
    Isaiah 45 was written long after Exodus. From Wiki:

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Isaiah

    Two crises occurred between [Isaiah 39] and [Isaiah 40]. The first was the late 7th century Deuteronomistic reform of official Judean religion under king Josiah, who banned many elements of the old polytheistic cult from the Temple...


    Apparently Judaism became monotheistic about that time. David the slinger was probably a polytheist.

    Look at Isaiah 41:28 and you will see mention of multiple gods.
  5. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    09 Feb '13 11:06
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Er, excuse me, but, You said there were no other Gods. WTF?

    "On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn--both men and animals--and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD."
    Small g.

    There is only one true and living God. All others are an illusion.

    Simple logic.
  6. Standard memberHand of Hecate
    Merciless Vagabond
    Deep in it.
    Joined
    08 Feb '05
    Moves
    14614
    09 Feb '13 16:06
    Originally posted by josephw
    Small g.

    There is only one true and living God. All others are an illusion.

    Simple logic.
    Logic, of course.

    After reading the Bible again, cover to cover, it occurs to me that the one sure way to drive a person away from Christianity is to force them to do exactly this. I find it terribly frustrating to try to make sense of it all.
  7. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    09 Feb '13 18:18
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Logic, of course.

    After reading the Bible again, cover to cover, it occurs to me that the one sure way to drive a person away from Christianity is to force them to do exactly this. I find it terribly frustrating to try to make sense of it all.
    It helps to think of it not as The Bible but as an anthology of bibles written over a millenium.

    The religious tradition evolved over time from animistic pantheism to shamanism to polytheism and then monotheism. Its a natural evolution in humanitys perspective about religion. It was written by men who were different from one another and fallible not written by one god.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35531
    09 Feb '13 18:191 edit
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Er, excuse me, but, You said there were no other Gods. WTF?

    "On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn--both men and animals--and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD."
    gods, small g.

    Not God, big G.

    Small g gods are created by men.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    09 Feb '13 19:01
    Originally posted by josephw
    Small g.

    There is only one true and living God. All others are an illusion.

    Simple logic.
    Were there upper and lower cases in ancient Hebrew? Or were perhaps the two instances of god/God different in some other way? Just asking.

    It makes sense that Yahweh was the survivor as monotheism came to be.

    As ATY indicates, the following source agrees: "Yahweh, slowly taking shape in a welter of polytheism, took one or another attribute from various of Israel's early gods."

    http://www.thevenusproject.com/downloads/ebooks/30426379-Homer-W-Smith-Man-and-His-Gods.pdf

    page 80.

    The above book is a good resource for its title subject. It is searchable via control-F which opens a search box in the upper right corner. Search on yahweh, or on polytheism, in this case. Numerous mentions of both.
  10. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    09 Feb '13 19:07
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Er, excuse me, but, You said there were no other Gods. WTF?

    "On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn--both men and animals--and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD."
    putting himself as number one, above the gods of stone , wood etc. would it be better for you if he had said "and i will bring judgement on all the false gods of Egypt"?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35531
    09 Feb '13 19:09
    Originally posted by stoker
    putting himself as number one, above the gods of stone , wood etc. would it be better for you if he had said "and i will bring judgement on all the false gods of Egypt"?
    brilliant and concise, as usual.
  12. Dublin Ireland
    Joined
    31 Oct '12
    Moves
    14235
    09 Feb '13 19:13
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    gods, small g.

    Not God, big G.

    Small g gods are created by men.
    From here on in,

    God shall be known as big G.


    Sounds like a rap artist.

    Yo baby yo baby yo

    into the eternal fire we go........small g.
  13. Standard memberHand of Hecate
    Merciless Vagabond
    Deep in it.
    Joined
    08 Feb '05
    Moves
    14614
    09 Feb '13 19:54
    Originally posted by stoker
    putting himself as number one, above the gods of stone , wood etc. would it be better for you if he had said "and i will bring judgement on all the false gods of Egypt"?
    Of course it would. The point I'm struggling with is that the bible has become so polluted over millennia as to be useless. I read it one last time and have resolved to put it aside. It will no longer have a place in my search for spiritual truth. It is an unusual feeling to abandon the faith of your youth.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    09 Feb '13 20:011 edit
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Of course it would. The point I'm struggling with is that the bible has become so polluted over millennia as to be useless. I read it one last time and have resolved to put it aside. It will no longer have a place in my search for spiritual truth. It is an unusual feeling to abandon the faith of your youth.
    Before you do that, in your mind try setting aside all but the words of Jesus. Apart from the doctrine of the OT, Paul and others, the words of Jesus hold up reasonably well as a whole. A second pass free of the doctrine of others should prove enlightening.
  15. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    09 Feb '13 21:19
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Before you do that, in your mind try setting aside all but the words of Jesus. Apart from the doctrine of the OT, Paul and others, the words of Jesus hold up reasonably well as a whole. A second pass free of the doctrine of others should prove enlightening.
    I.e. read the Jefferson Bible.
Back to Top