1. USA
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 21:13
    Exodus 1:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

I've was studying the bible recently and I came across this, and I've had a hard time comprehending this, can someone please tell me what this means?
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 21:45
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    Exodus 1:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

I've was studying the bible recently and I came across this, and I've had a hard time comprehending this, can someone please tell me what this means?
    It means God has a long memory.
  3. RDU NC
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 02:33

well obviously this means that god is love.
    at least he's in love with himself.😛
  4. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 12:212 edits

according to biblegateway.com, Exodus 1:5 reads "The descendants of Jacob numbered seventy in all; Joseph was already in Egypt." (NIV)...😛

EDIT: did a quick search, and i think the verse should be read with the verses around it-Exodus 20:4-6 in the NIV reads,

"You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments."
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 19:06

Quite simply, it means that once a pattern of defiance has been initiated, it is very difficult for our progeny to break it.
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 23:11
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Quite simply, it means that once a pattern of defiance has been initiated, it is very difficult for our progeny to break it.
    I would say that it is referring to just that existential fact, nor more or less (albeit in the particular language of the Jewish understanding, at least of the period).

And I would add that other terms than “defiance” could be put in there just as well. How many things do we see cycle through families, including our own?

My turn to say “I agree”?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree