1. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 May '14 11:07
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Failed_biblical_prophecies

I'm curious how believers respond to these failed prophecies. Are they not
    meant to be taken as prophecies, or what?..
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 May '14 11:23
    Originally posted by C Hess

Well, a prophecy is only a prophecy if it is fulfilled. If it fails to be fulfilled it is not a prophecy.
    So prophecies does always work, because if not, it is not a prophecy.
    So if you prophecize that the end of the world is scheduled for tomorrow, then we have to wait to tomorrow to see if it was a real prophecy or not.

Here you can read more about End-of-the-World prophecies which were not really prophecies, as you already know because you can read this.
  3. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 May '14 10:55
    Seriously? You're all just gonna let this one fall? I guess they really are failed prophecies. Awkward. 😕
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 May '14 11:43
    Seriously? You're all just gonna let this one fall? I guess they really are failed prophecies. Awkward. 😕
    Unless you get some new fish to take the bait the old ones wont bother .. been there done that.
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 May '14 13:00
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    ...been there done that.
    Well, I haven't.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '14 13:05
    Well, I haven't.
    anyway just changing the topic could God Be Gay or even a lesbian( iam a lesbian in a mans body).
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 May '14 13:18
    Well, I haven't.
    Ok, well lets hope someone bites for your sake.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '14 13:19
    My god I am hungry.
  9. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 May '14 15:18
    You know what I think? I think those are failed prophecies, and you
    christians are just holding your ears, singing: "la la la la", hoping this thread
    will drop like a pair of old undies in the back room. Well, it's good I'm here
    to throw them out in the open until someone explains to me just what the
    hell they're doing here in the first place. It's a frigging train we're on, and
    there are no sleeping cars.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '14 15:23
    christians are just holding your ears, singing: "la la la la", hoping this thread
    this train has no brakes no driver and no passengers is it 12 camels ?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 May '14 15:27
    "la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"....."la la la la"..... 😀
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 May '14 15:30
    <yawn>

Assuming the clearly non-academic person who put this website together starts with his imagined big guns, we can examine his declaration of the alleged failed prophecy of the destruction of Tyre.

His claim is based on a misreading of the text.
    How incredibly novel.
    It would be nice to--- just once!--- have a claim that is actually based on something substantive.

Mr. Rational Wiki claims:
    In this block of text God states quite blatantly that Nebuchadnezzar would sack and destroy completely the city of Tyre. However the events given in this passage never did come to pass. After a 13 year siege Nebuchadnezzar withdrew his forces. Despite being conquered and razed (torn down) by Alexander the Great 240 years later, Tyre still exists.

He is referencing Ezekiel 26:1-21.
    Verses 7-11 of that passage speak of Nebuchadrezzar's siege of the ancient Phoenician city of Tyre.
    Prior to the five verses specifying Nebuchadrezzar (and beginning in verse three), the prophecy given to Ezekiel from God speaks of an assault on Tyre from many nations... multiple assaults from multiple nations which lead to the demise of that once-most powerful city-state of Phoenicia.

The verses which are directly related to Nebuchadrezzar use the third person singular masculine nominative or dative singular pronouns 'he' or 'him' beginning in verse seven and continue through verse eleven.
    ierg
    he-shall-kill

u·nthn
    and·he-gives

u·shphk
    and·he-pours-out

u·eqim
    and·he-raises
    impact-of·him

ithn
    he-shall-give

ithtz
    he-shall-break-down

b·chrbuthi·u
    in·swords-of·him

susi·u
    horses-of·him

iks·k
    he-shall-cover·you

b·ba·u
    in·to-enter-of·him

susi·u
    horses-of·him

irms
    he-shall-tramp

ierg
    he-shall-kill

The verses which refer to many nations in three use the third-person plural personal pronoun (subjective case) 'they' beginning in verse four (I will not list the six uses here).
    With an elliptical break to describe the specific destruction headed Tyre's way at the hands of a named king in verse seven through eleven, the passage reverts back to the pronoun 'they' in describing the actions of the nameless many nations.

So point one: miss.

The next complaint is that Tyre still exists.
    Yes it does.
    However, Tyre which was destroyed--- dismantled, razed--- was a powerful city-state of Phoenicia.
    The Tyre which exists today is a port city in Lebanon, the original island still unoccupied.
    What was once a traditional center for commerce and culture was wiped off the face of the planet, silenced.

Point two: miss.

Why waste time with the rest of the drivel which have repeatedly revealed as wanting?
    If you wish to, feel free.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 May '14 15:35
    Well if you not familiar with my position then let me say that Im not a supporter of defending the Bible or God or arguing with atheists. Those activities are fruitless, pointless and lead nowhere. God can and will defend himself and his teachings if and when he so chooses and will do it to specific people. All Christians are not irrational uneducated nutcases as many atheists believe.

As for prophesies I can tell you that the Jews and their history is one of the greatest demonstrations of Bible prophecy. God said he would make them a byword and many would try to destroy them but they would never succeed. This has happened. Also that they would return to their land that he gave them. This has happened in our lifetime. That they would regain control of Jerusalem .. also fulfilled. .

But Im not a fan of this kind of thread so I would let others continue the discusion. Good luck with this thread .. hope some 'prophecy defenders' participate. 🙂
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 May '14 20:271 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    <yawn>

Assuming the clearly non-academic person who put this website together starts with his imagined big guns, we can examine his declaration of the alleged failed prophecy of the destruction of Tyre.

His claim is based on a misreading of the text.
    How incredibly novel.
    It would be nice to--- just once!--- have a claim that is actually based on s ...[text shortened]... th the rest of the drivel which have repeatedly revealed as wanting?
    If you wish to, feel free.
    Biblical Prophesy About Tyre

YouTube

The island city of Tyre is believed to have sank into the sea, for the only thing left is the causeway built by Alexander the Great.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 May '14 20:51

The prophecy of the city of Tyre

http://www.padfield.com/1994/tyre.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree