1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 02:02
    Throughout the centuries, countless people have been slaughtered by opposing armies that were firmly convinced God was on there side. Those in power have used there countries religion to justify military action against those who would not normally have been there enemy.
    History has taught us however, that people learn very little from history, and the same bloody lessons have to be re learned every 1-2 generations, (or less). My Point? THERE IS NOTHING HOLY ABOUT WAR. Sounds so simple, yet so ignored. 😏
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 02:14
    No people in history have been slaughtered by an enemy that believes God is opposed to the victors.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 03:23
    Originally posted by bill718
    Throughout the centuries, countless people have been slaughtered by opposing armies that were firmly convinced God was on there side. Those in power have used there countries religion to justify military action against those who would not normally have been there enemy.
    History has taught us however, that people learn very little from history, and the same ...[text shortened]... ions, (or less). My Point? THERE IS NOTHING HOLY ABOUT WAR. Sounds so simple, yet so ignored. 😏
    Killjoy!! 😠
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 05:26
    Originally posted by bill718
    History has taught us however, that people learn very little from history, and the same ...[text shortened]... ions, (or less). My Point? THERE IS NOTHING HOLY ABOUT WAR. Sounds so simple, yet so ignored. 😏
    So if your country is attacked is God against you defending yourself? Remember that the allies were more or less on the defense in WWII.

What I don't get from your post is any argument supporting the claim that God is against war. It appears to be just your personal opinion.
  5. Joined
    09 Feb '09
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 09:06
    This is not unique to religion. For religion read 'big idea'. It can be religion, freedom, democracy, or whatever. Those who want war find some emotive idea that will guarantee that their peasants point their pitchforks in the right direction. The opposition are heretics, heathens, communists, extremists, or whatever label will persuade your peasants that they're plain evil.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 09:43
    Originally posted by huffward
    This is not unique to religion. For religion read 'big idea'. It can be religion, freedom, democracy, or whatever. Those who want war find some emotive idea that will guarantee that their peasants point their pitchforks in the right direction. The opposition are heretics, heathens, communists, extremists, or whatever label will persuade your peasants that they're plain evil.
    I am convinced that if journalists took more trouble to expose the financial backers of war for what they really are, we would have less wars.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree