Faith and Sports

Faith and Sports

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
06 Dec 07
1 edit

There was a segment on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on faith in sports, primarily the NFL.

While I've long found the idea of praying to play well as a curious practice, it seems like some are taking it to new levels. In particular, Jon Kitna who plays quarterback for the Detroit Lions. It sounds like Kitna prays throughout the game. Asking God to "guide [his] arm" to make a throw and the like. In a game earlier this season Kitna suffered a concussion in the first half. He sat out most of the second half and then came back to rally the Lions. A teammate of his sheepishly told a story of how Kitna told him that "God was playing through [his] body".

I was wondering how many believe God gets involved in such things and to what degree.

Illinois

Moves
06 Dec 07

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
There was a segment on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on faith in sports, primarily the NFL.

While I've long found the idea of praying to play well as a curious practice, it seems like some are taking it to new levels. In particular, Jon Kitna who plays quarterback for the Detroit Lions. It sounds like Kitna prays throughout the game. Asking God to "guide ...[text shortened]...

I was wondering how many believe God gets involved in such things and to what degree.
Have you ever seen the movie, Chariots of Fire? It's relevant to your inquiry... and a good movie to boot.

T

Moves
06 Dec 07

Originally posted by epiphinehas
Have you ever seen the movie, Chariots of Fire? It's relevant to your inquiry... and a good movie to boot.
I saw it a long time ago. Can't say as I remember that much about it. In what way is it relevant?

Illinois

Moves
06 Dec 07

I saw it a long time ago. Can't say as I remember that much about it. In what way is it relevant?
It is based on the true story of two British athletes preparing for the Olympics. One of the chaps was a Christian and struggled to justify his love of running with his faith. In trying to explain himself to his family he says, "I believe that God made me for a purpose... (the mission), but He also made me fast, and when I run, I feel His pleasure." While at the Olympics his event happens to take place on a Sunday, so he refuses to run because God made Sunday as a day of rest. While at church he quotes Isaiah 40:31: "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and be not weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Illinois

Moves
06 Dec 07
3 edits

One of my favorite bible quotes, and one of the few that I can recite verbatim, goes like this: "Whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not unto men, knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance; for ye serve the Lord Christ."

Whatsoever ye do... God promises to be with us always, and He calls us friends. Being successful in football is important to Kitna and those who depend on him. And God wants whatever is important to us to be a matter of faith. Because nothing we do is outside his sovereignty.

Go Kitna! (Plus I have his top WR, Mike Furrey, on my fantasy team this week.)

T

Moves
06 Dec 07

Originally posted by epiphinehas
It is based on the true story of two British athletes preparing for the Olympics. One of the chaps was a Christian and struggled to justify his love of running with his faith. In trying to explain himself to his family he says, "I believe that God made me for a purpose... (the mission), but He also made me fast, and when I run, I feel His pleasure." W ...[text shortened]... with wings as eagles; they shall run, and be not weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
Seems to be a bit of a mixed message.

Not running on a Sunday vs. "and when I run, I feel His pleasure."

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
06 Dec 07

While I've long found the idea of praying to play well as a curious practice, it seems like some are taking it to new levels. In particular, Jon Kitna who plays quarterback for the Detroit Lions. It sounds like Kitna prays throughout the game. Asking God to "guide ...[text shortened]...

The Bible says that "in him we live and move and have our being" so maybe it's Ok that we throw footballs "in him" as well?

(Maybe it's a victory for God's truth in the "arena"? Maybe God doesn't mind getting competitive? - Sorry couldn't resist LOL)

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
06 Dec 07

Originally posted by knightmeister
The Bible says that "in him we live and move and have our being" so maybe it's Ok that we throw footballs "in him" as well?

(Maybe it's a victory for God's truth in the "arena"? Maybe God doesn't mind getting competitive? - Sorry couldn't resist LOL)
Oh, for crying out loud, can you religious guys ever say something interesting without referring to the bible?

T

Moves
06 Dec 07
1 edit

Go Kitna! (Plus I have his top WR, Mike Furrey, on my fantasy team this week.) epiphinehas

You might want to sit Furrey. Evidently there's extra motivation for the Cowboys defense to shut them down. Kitna popped off last year after the Lions beat the Cowboys. I'm guessing it wasn't God "talking through him".

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
06 Dec 07

[b]Go Kitna! (Plus I have his top WR, Mike Furrey, on my fantasy team this week.) epiphinehas

You might want to sit Furrey. Evidently there's extra motivation for the Cowboys defense to shut them down. Kitna popped off last year after the Lions beat the Cowboys. I'm guessing it wasn't God "talking through him".[/b]
What's Furrey ? I'm from England where we still call soccer football because you can't pick the ball up and you actually use your feet a lot. Hence Foot - ball

BTW - Why is NFL called football , it should be called throw run catch ball eh?

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
06 Dec 07

Originally posted by amannion
Oh, for crying out loud, can you religious guys ever say something interesting without referring to the bible?
So the idea that we live and move and have our being in God IS interesting?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
06 Dec 07
1 edit

So the idea that we live and move and have our being in God IS interesting?
What?

Oh, I get your question. Well, I must admit to being endlessly fascinated by religion and religious thought - that's why I keep posting here, instead of bashing my head with a brick. (Which might produce much the same effect sometimes.)

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
06 Dec 07
1 edit

In particular, Jon Kitna who plays quarterback for the Detroit Lions. It sounds like Kitna prays throughout the game. Asking God to "guide [his] arm" to make a throw and the like. In a game earlier this season Kitna suffered a concussion in the first half. He sat out most of the second half and then came back to rally the Lions. A teammate of his sheepishly told a story of how Kitna told him that "God was playing through [his] body"...
During the second half, God was probably thinking, "What a wuss! They didn't even hit him that hard."

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
06 Dec 07

Originally posted by amannion
What?

Oh, I get your question. Well, I must admit to being endlessly fascinated by religion and religious thought - that's why I keep posting here, instead of bashing my head with a brick. (Which might produce much the same effect sometimes.)
I chuckled when I read that!! Very good LOL!

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
07 Dec 07

I chuckled when I read that!! Very good LOL!
Always happy to oblige.