1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 05:24
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    If you have serious scientific evidence proving NOT performing masturbation has serious negative health consequenses you have a point.
    This is not the Church's stance. It believes that the act of masturbation is
    unhealthy in some way or another, in that the sin the results damages the
    soul. It provides arguments for this position (though I do not know them
    intimately).

It would be like a prohibition on apples, which are healthy but non-essential.
    Would a prohibition on apples be reasonable? No way!

Similarly, when there are obviously positive effects that arise from (moderate)
    masturbation, how can the Church claim the rational high-ground by stating
    that it is evil?

Nemesio
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 13:562 edits
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    This is not the Church's stance. It believes that the act of masturbation is
    soul. It provides arguments for this position (though I do not know them
    intimately).

It would be like a prohibition on apples, which are healthy but non-essential.
    Would a prohibition on apples be r ...[text shortened]... ation, how can the Church claim the rational high-ground by stating
    that it is evil?

Nemesio
    Nemesio: "This is not the Church's stance."

It is my stance.

Nemesio: "It believes that the act of masturbation is
    soul. "

The Church looks upon masturbation as an unordered act. It is not aimed at serving God. The scientific health effects as you describe them are not relevant in determining the moral (im)permissability of performing masturbation.

Chasing old ladies in the park can have very positive effects on your health, your heart condition will improve, your muscles will develop, etc etc, but I'm sure you agree with me that these scientific facts are not relevant in establishing the moral (im)permissibility of chasing old ladies in the park.
  3. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 14:34
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    I do not notice any contradictions here. Do you ?
    Apparently that pope forgot to mention the RCC had killed Bruno in 1600 for saying that "inconceivable" stuff about the cosmos. The obvious conclusion to make is that the RCC practices using selective history.
    They would like a "that's o.k." about executing Bruno, however, they aren't going to get that o.k., not from me or anybody that expects an "infallible" person to actually be infallible.
    Here's the deal :
    Bruno said that the observer was central, Einstein said that the observer was central, the obvious conclusion is that the "inconceivable" was known in Galileo's time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree