1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '15 04:19
    Originally posted by JS357
    What's wrong with Hebrews 11:1? Granted, there are variations:

http://biblehub.com/hebrews/11-1.htm

New International Version
    Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

New Living Translation
    Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see. ...[text shortened]... al Translation
    And faith is of things hoped for a confidence, of matters not seen a conviction,
    Exactly.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '15 04:321 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Sorry, I thought it was self evident how this makes you express your faith.

If you choose to see your own depravity then you are more apt to reach out for salvation.

If you choose to see suffering of the poor, then you are more apt to reach out to help them

If you choose to see that faith in God is our only hope, then you will live your life accordingly.
    JS gave the only definition of faith I'm comfortable with. Let me try to explain so I come across as less pedantic:

Your first two points in the post I'm replying to, could be secular acts of selflessness. No faith is required.

Your third point is more interesting but should probably be written:
    If you have faith that God is our only hope, then you will choose live your life accordingly.

My point being that you cannot choose to see God nor choose to have faith in God because faith is God given.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Aug '15 06:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    In the US, the gay population is only about 5%, but they account for about 60% of AIDS cases and other STD's in the US every year.

Those that choose to see this see that this lifestyle is self destructive.
    The other 40% of cases therefore occur amongst heterosexuals. Why have you not declared their lifestyle self destructive too? In Zambia a very large number of heterosexuals died of AIDS including friends and acquaintances of mine. Now that treatment is available, many people are living with AIDS.
    Do you see their lifestyle as self destructive?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree