Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Spirituality

Spirituality

  1. 17 Aug '15 03:09 / 1 edit
    "Faith is seeing light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness."

    Discuss.
  2. 17 Aug '15 03:11 / 1 edit
    I've often heard people say that they don't wish to bring children into this world because it has become so wicked. However, those that see the same things somehow come to a different conclusion, don't they? Out of faith some bring forth children with an inner hope of overcoming the said wickedness.
  3. 17 Aug '15 03:19
    Faith is seeing the depravity within ones soul and not turning away. Instead, they turn to a remedy.
  4. 17 Aug '15 03:19
    Faith is seeing the wretched and the poor and not turning away. Instead, they reach out to help.
  5. 17 Aug '15 04:37
    Whodey, are any of these definitions describing how your faith is outwardly expressed?
  6. 17 Aug '15 11:20 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Whodey, are any of these definitions describing how your faith is outwardly expressed?
    Faith to me is seeing what we generally don't want to see, or seeing what we wish were true but simply cannot fathom how it could be a reality.

    For example, I've spoken multiple times regarding the scandal in the Catholic church and pedophiles. Being a Christian it is uncomfortable to me knowing that this is going on and continues to go on with impunity and all done in the name of Jesus. However, turning a blind eye so as to hide it all is not an option for those of faith.

    Now you could say that because I'm not Catholic I have no problem bashing Catholics, but that is not it at all. I would take the same stance if it were happening in my own church.

    This topic struck me while watching a spokesperson for the Obama administration when being questioned about the fetal parts scandal and Planned Parenthood. They asked what he thought about the scandal, to which he replied, I have not heard anything about it. So just like other scandals in the White House, such as the IRS scandal, the response is, we have not seen anything about this. But as we all know, it's a lie. They do not see, not because they do not have access to the daily news that we have, but because they wish to sweep it all under a rug.
  7. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    17 Aug '15 11:29
    Obama has been mentioned in the sixth post of this thread.
  8. 17 Aug '15 11:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Faith to me is seeing what we generally don't want to see, or seeing what we wish were true but simply cannot fathom how it could be a reality.

    For example, I've spoken multiple times regarding the scandal in the Catholic church and pedophiles. Being a Christian it is uncomfortable to me knowing that this is going on and continues to go on with impunity a ...[text shortened]... t have access to the daily news that we have, but because they wish to sweep it all under a rug.
    To be honest I don't see what either of these issues has to do with either christian faith (they are a more a matter of criminality and codes of ethics than faith), nor how they are anything to do with my question to you which was how any of the definitions in your opening posts describe how your personal faith is outwardly expressed.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    17 Aug '15 11:41
    Originally posted by whodey
    Faith to me is seeing what we generally don't want to see, or seeing what we wish were true but simply cannot fathom how it could be a reality.
    I'd say, broadly speaking, that faith is an opinion that might be described [by some] as having no evidence to support it. Of course you have lots of subjectivity and/or disagreement about what is and is not evidence.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    17 Aug '15 11:44
    Originally posted by divegeester
    To be honest I don't see what either of these issues has to do with either christian faith (they are a more a matter of criminality and codes of ethics than faith), nor how they are anything to do with my question to you which was how any of the definitions in your opening posts describe how your personal faith is outwardly expressed.
    He's mentioned Obama. He's mentioned child abuse. That just leaves The Nazis. The IRS. And Roe v Wade.
  11. Standard member KellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    17 Aug '15 11:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    "Faith is seeing light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness."

    Discuss.
    Jeremiah 5:21
    Hear this, you foolish and senseless people, who have eyes but do not see, who have ears but do not hear:
  12. 17 Aug '15 12:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    Faith to me is seeing what we generally don't want to see, or seeing what we wish were true but simply cannot fathom how it could be a reality.
    By that definition, you have equally the least faith of anyone on this forum (you never ever see what you don't want to see), a the most faith of anyone on this forum (you always see what you wish were true but isn't).

    Being a Christian it is uncomfortable to me knowing that this is going on and continues to go on with impunity and all done in the name of Jesus.
    An excellent example of your immense faith. In reality however it doesn't go on in the name of Jesus, and often does not go on with impunity. There are of course paedophiles in every religion and every denomination but very few do so in the name of their religions. What makes the Catholic Church newsworthy is that they are a large organization that tends to cover it up rather than deal with it effectively - and as an organization they claim to have good morals which tends to increase the backlash when they are caught being hypocrites. If a right wing political party were caught trying to cover for a paedophile people would just say 'what else is new' and move on to something more interesting.
  13. 17 Aug '15 12:30
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Jeremiah 5:21
    Hear this, you foolish and senseless people, who have eyes but do not see, who have ears but do not hear:
    He's speaking to you Kelly. You who totally ignores some posters who say things you don't like and for the rest just keep on repeating your mantra over and over despite everyone pointing out that you are wrong.
  14. 17 Aug '15 12:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    To be honest I don't see what either of these issues has to do with either christian faith (they are a more a matter of criminality and codes of ethics than faith), nor how they are anything to do with my question to you which was how any of the definitions in your opening posts describe how your personal faith is outwardly expressed.
    Sure it does. We all have an internal sense of right and wrong, the only question becomes, from what source if any?

    We play games running from this inner voice, but only to our ill.
  15. 17 Aug '15 12:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    By that definition, you have equally the least faith of anyone on this forum (you never ever see what you don't want to see), a the most faith of anyone on this forum (you always see what you wish were true but isn't).

    [b]Being a Christian it is uncomfortable to me knowing that this is going on and continues to go on with impunity and all done in the n ...[text shortened]... a paedophile people would just say 'what else is new' and move on to something more interesting.
    The issue is that the Catholic church is wealthy and politically connected. This is how they keep their offending priests out of jail and continue in their positions, albeit maybe in another city.

    The Catholic church is more inclined towards this I think because they don't allow their priests to marry.

    Having said that, any orgnanization that has a great deal of wealth and political connections is open to simliar issues.