Moves
    16 Feb '12 20:25
    Parmenides or Heraclitus? Stop-start -
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 20:271 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Parmenides or Heraclitus? Stop-start -
    Heraclitus, for change; and Epicurus. But Democritus for laughter.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 23:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    As usual, you miss what I am saying entirely.
    I don't think so, whodey. I was referring to your if we don't have the religious faith mentioned in the OP "why not just jump off a bridge?" comment.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 02:381 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't think so, whodey. I was referring to your if we don't have the religious faith mentioned in the OP "why not just jump off a bridge?" comment.
    Where did I say religious faith? All I was saying is that faith is a vital portion of our well being. Without it, we might as well jump off a bridge. Now as to faith in what, that is the real question.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 03:03
    Where did I say religious faith? All I was saying is that faith is a vital portion of our well being. Without it, we might as well jump off a bridge. Now as to faith in what, that is the real question.
    You're dissembling, whodey. The point in question is religious faith not faith in your spouse or whoever. You even mentioned the Christian "faith can move mountains" thing.

The OP said "When God is on your side you can get very dangerous . I think Faith is something to worry about." You said "How then can we get everyone to lose faith in God and society at large? Losing faith is our only hope....er.....um.....not hope because that involves faith. I know, why not just jump off a bridge?"

So I asked you "Without 'faith' you might consider killing yourself?" To which you replied "...without hope [that we can place our faith in a loving God that overseas all that is] what is left FMF?"

I was responding to your religious nihilism and not pre-responding to your subsequent moving of the goalposts.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 03:223 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    You're dissembling, whodey. The point in question is religious faith not faith in your spouse or whoever. You even mentioned the Christian "faith can move mountains" thing.

The OP said "When God is on your side you can get very dangerous . I think Faith is something to worry about." You said "How then can we get everyone to lose faith in God and society at l nihilism and not pre-responding to your subsequent moving of the goalposts.
    I realize that the term faith was meant to be used soley to bash the religious. I was merely splaining that everyone has faith. So the question begs, faith in what? Placing your faith in the wrong thing is what is dangerous rather than merely having such faith. The whole issue as to whether a God is in the picture is not relevant in that regard.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 03:32
    I realize that the term faith was meant to be used soley to bash the religious. I was merely splaining that everyone has faith. So the question begs, faith in what? Placing your faith in the wrong thing is what is dangerous rather than merely having such faith. The whole issue as to whether a God is in the picture is not relevant in that regard.
    As I said, you're dissembling. What you said is there for others to read if they want. I reject your religious nihilism and your dreary 'without-hope/faith-in-God-one-might-as-well-commit-suicide' outlook.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 03:46
    I suppose when I say "faith" it is automatically assumed I refer to faith in God only.
    Well "God" was front and centre in your first two posts on this thread, as you talked about faith and hope, and how you reckon one might as well kill oneself with out them. You were entirely explicit. Backpeddle as you now may, nothing was wrongly "assumed" about your reference to "God".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree