1. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 14:30
    It seems that due to the prevalence of two religious groups on this forum, a lot of arguments are falling into silly black-and-white debates in which both sides may well be wrong. Here are some possible false dichotomies for discussion (note that this doesn't mean that both extremes must be wrong, but simply that they could both be wrong at once).

- Everyone either has unshakeable faith in the Christian God, or denies the existence of any divinity.

- Either life has a single, exogenous ('higher'😉 purpose, or it is completely without sense and order.

- Any choice we make consists of a binary choice between good and evil, so essentially any action is either 'the good thing to do' or 'the evil thing to do'.

- Any statement that comes out of a reasonable person is either a fact, or a deliberate lie.

- Any theory about important matters is either completely true and enlightening, or it is completely without merit.
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 14:34

Hear, hear.
  3. Meddling with things
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 15:001 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    15 Apr '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 15:04
    Thes phrase is "Here, Here" Ivanhoe, unless, of course, by "hear, hear" you want you mean to call attention to a good argument that you want folks to listen to and, subsequently, here.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 15:20
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Personally I think the spirituality forum should be merged with 'debates' so that the pathetic snivelling of the christians can be exposed to a wider audience.

That's not a bad idea. You could suggest it in Site Ideas for better exposure.
  6. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 16:03
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    That's not a bad idea. You could suggest it in Site Ideas for better exposure.
    🙄 HIlarious.
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 16:111 edit
    Originally posted by mauriciobabilonia
    Thes phrase is "Here, Here" Ivanhoe, unless, of course, by "hear, hear" you want you mean to call attention to a good argument that you want folks to listen to and, subsequently, here.

Haven't we met before ? ..... You sound so ... familiar ....... 😉
  8. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 16:311 edit
    Originally posted by Acolyte
    [b]It seems that due to the prevalence of two religious groups on this forum, a lot of arguments are falling into silly black-and-white debates in which both sides may well be wrong. Here are some possible false dichotomies for discussion (no ...[text shortened]... omes out of a reasonable person is either a fact, or a deliberate lie.
    - Everyone either has unshakeable faith in the Christian God, or denies the existence of any divinity.

- Either life has a single, exogenous ('higher'😉 purpose, or it is completely without sense and order.

- Any choice we make consists of a binary choice between good and evil, so essentially any action is either 'the good thing to do' or 'the evil thing to do'.

- Any statement that comes out of a reasonable person is either a fact, or a deliberate lie.

This is the first one I'd disagree with (as far as your observations on RHP forum participants). I'd say that any statement is either right or wrong. One can be sincerely wrong or innocently wrong, or reasonably correct or luckily correct. Not every mistruth is a deliberate lie. But, in my opinion and experience, it is only sensible to conclude that there is absolute truth, and that I must be deliberate in seeking it out.

- Any theory about important matters is either completely true and enlightening, or it is completely without merit.

I also disagree with this statement. My own working understanding of the creationist worldview, for example, has been modified and adjusted over the years as I learn of more and more evidence.

But the greater point here is that an argument's 'merit' is the important issue.
  9. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 17:09
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    I stumbled into the forums area and found the spirituality pages. I was gobsmacked. Why is there a spirituality forum, is it a place set up for fundementalist christians to confirm each others' beliefs? That how it appeared to me and I was delighted to find a place to antagonise the smug hand-wringing sanctimonious god botherers who hang out here.
    ...[text shortened]... he christians can be exposed to a wider audience.

Greetings from the north side of Cambridge
    We were with the Debates, but the unbelievers couldnot take the heat, of the subject. But it is amazing how many of the ones that complained have followed us here.
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 17:301 edit
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    We were with the Debates, but the unbelievers couldnot take the heat, of the subject. But it is amazing how many of the ones that complained have followed us here.
    Blindfaith: " ... But it is amazing how many of the ones that complained have followed us here."

That tells us something about their sincere motives and honest intentions. 😛
  11. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 17:32
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Blindfaith: " ... But it is amazing how many of the ones that complained have followed us here."

That tells us something about their sincere motives and honest intentions. 😛
    Then why did they complain and pressure RHP to separate us?
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 18:09
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    Then why did they complain and pressure RHP to separate us?

It is a political fight. If some of the God-haters saw a chance to drive the Christians from this site alltogether they would not let it pass.

Notice the new "irritation" that is building up. New debators are appearing on the scene with exactly the same objections and motives, that made the admins decide to create the Spirituality forum. The only thing they have to do is skip the Spirituality forum or the threads in question in order to avoid the irritation. But they don't. There are reasons for that and the reasons are political.
    Let nobody think these God-haters are interested in the truth. They are interested in winning the games they play.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 18:11
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

It is a political fight. If some of the God-haters saw a chance to drive the Christians from this site alltogether they would not let it pass.

Notice the new "irritation" that is building up. New debators are appearing on the scene with exactly the same objections and motives, that made the admins decide to create the Spirituality forum. The only thi ...[text shortened]... God-haters are interested in the truth. They are interested in winning the games they play.
    BS.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 18:53
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    BS.
    BS.

Beautifully Stated?
  15. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    16 Apr '05 19:02
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    [b] BS.

Beautifully Stated? [/b]
    Nothing with the term "God-haters" can be beautifully stated.

... --- ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree