1. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 May '07 09:32
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    I suppose it is wrong to be happy he's dead, right?
    If there is no God then the right or wrongness is up to you.
    If there is a God then he is probably not dead as such but in heaven or hell.
    If hes in hell then God cant really fault you for being happy he died.
    If hes in heaven then yes, you are wrong to be happy about it.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 May '07 10:04
    Originally posted by josephw
    I remember reading all those posts by atheists lambasting christians for their narrow minded, bigoted, racist, capital punishment supporting agenda, and now what do I see? 🙄
    Except for bbarr (and even him I'm not sure of 'cause I don't know him that well), I see nobody who I could say is an atheist in this thread except me, and I am not putting the guy down, though I didn't like him.

Which atheists are you referring to? Please, elaborate.
  3. Joined
    28 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 May '07 10:15
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I didn't now who he was.
    Dear RBHill, you continue to surprise me (grammar/general knowledge). I'm looking forward to read your next post. 😉
  4. Playing with matches
    Moves
    16 May '07 11:44
    Originally posted by darvlay
    It brought a smile to my face.

A BIG smile.
    I'm going to name my morning dump after him as a tribute.
  5. Gangster Land
    Moves
    16 May '07 14:23
    in 2001, he blamed the September 11 terrorist attack on "pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America."

Ah, Jerry, where have the years gone?
  6. Joined
    19 Apr '07
    Moves
    16 May '07 17:37
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    in 2001, he blamed the September 11 terrorist attack on "pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America."

Ah, Jerry, where have the years gone?
    I can't believe he said such a thing! I'm pretty sure that in Holland this guy would have been put to jail for slander. Why didn't that happen in the USA? In my country we know exactly what freedom of speech is. At the other hand, slander is punished. Period. Does that ever happen in the USA, in cases like this? Why is the Phelps family on TV and not in jail? Can anybody tell me?
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 May '07 17:472 edits
    Originally posted by MrsWallie
    In my country we know exactly what freedom of speech is.
    Really? Just what is free speech, and why are Falwell's remarks not an instance thereof?

If Holland's restrictions on speech are as harsh as you indicate, why hasn't ivanhoe been jailed? His religious and political views are equally hateful and wrong. The same for shavixmir.
  8. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    16 May '07 17:53
    Originally posted by MrsWallie
    In my country we know exactly what freedom of speech is.
    Apparently you don't if you'd jail somebody for saying something that others didn't like.
  9. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    16 May '07 18:29
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    I'm going to name my morning dump after him as a tribute.
    I hope it falls well.
  10. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    16 May '07 18:32
    The fact is that life is better on the whole without verbally irresponsible people running amok in the media. Falwell is a case in point.

He's dead now, so no more running amok.

That's good, at least.
  11. Joined
    28 Jul '06
    Moves
    17 May '07 12:23
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Really? Just what is free speech, and why are Falwell's remarks not an instance thereof?

If Holland's restrictions on speech are as harsh as you indicate, why hasn't ivanhoe been jailed? His religious and political views are equally hateful and wrong. The same for shavixmir.
    I'm afraid I gave you the wrong impression of my country and how we handle freedom of speech.

In the Netherlands you can get a maximum of two years in jail for slander.

From a Dutch point of view, the question is whether mr. Falwell's motivation to make his statement was to spread around lies to ruin someone's reputation. And I admit that is probably not the case here: he was only expressing an opinion (and what an opinon!) which he believed to be true.

In the Netherlands we don't have religious people like Falwell (with access to mass media, and influencial, and stupid). Every time that I read about the ridiculous accusations American fundamentalistic christians make, I am simply shocked: things like blaming 9/11 on the lesbians, on the feminists, etc.. I just can't believe that these people are real!

Nevertheless, I was wrong about mr. Falwell having to go to jail for making that statement (wishful thinking, probably): in the Netherlands, he would have been acquitted. 🙁
    Same thing for that awful Phelps family. :'( :'( :'( :'(
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    18 May '07 00:28
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Live by the sword, die by the sword.
    You know the great irony in this is that pretty much the only positive I'm hearing about Falwell in the media is from Al Sharpton and Larry Flynt. Once he gets in the ground, he will surely turn over.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 May '07 02:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If hes in hell then God cant really fault you for being happy he died.
    If hes in heaven then yes, you are wrong to be happy about it.[/b]
    Proverbs 24:17 "Should your enemy fall, do not rejoice, when he stumbles do not let your heart exult; for fear that at the sight of this God will be displeased."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree