1. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 09:26
    My reluctance to endorse many religious claims stems from my perception that they are farfetched. I just can't take them seriously.

However, is the quality of being farfetched something that exists only in the mind of the beholder, or can it be objectively characterized and quantified?

Is there any way to get beyond one party asserting that some hypothesis is highly implausible, and another party asserting that, no, it makes a lot of sense?

My provisional impression is that believing farfetched theories involves underappreciating the number and plausibility of alternative states of affairs that could obtain, and fixating only on a personally meaningful and mental accessible subset.
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 10:32
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    My reluctance to endorse many religious claims stems from my perception that they are farfetched. I just can't take them seriously.

However, is the quality of being farfetched something that exists only in the mind of the beholder, or can it be objectively characterized and quantified?

Is there any way to get beyond one party asserting that some h ...[text shortened]... s that could obtain, and fixating only on a personally meaningful and mental accessible subset.
    Perhaps life may be the only thing that gets a person to move beyond the farfetched and pursue faith in more intimate and concrete ways. An example. A child whose concept of God is a grandfatherly old man sitting on a cloud contrasted with an adult who has lost a child to cancer and decided to find some solace as well as mission in helping parents who have had similar losses.

Have you read James Fowler's "Stages of Faith"?
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 22:13

Is there any way to get beyond one party asserting that some h ...[text shortened]... s that could obtain, and fixating only on a personally meaningful and mental accessible subset.
    An interesting forum held on a similar topic to this in Australia a couple of weeks ago.
    You can download the mp3 file from here - http://www.abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind/stories/2006/1717032.htm

It's worth having a listen to and considers some aspects of what you're asking here.
  4. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    29 Aug '06 11:19
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Perhaps life may be the only thing that gets a person to move beyond the farfetched and pursue faith in more intimate and concrete ways. An example. A child whose concept of God is a grandfatherly old man sitting on a cloud contrasted with an adult who has lost a child to cancer and decided to find some solace as well as mission in helping parents who have had similar losses.

Have you read James Fowler's "Stages of Faith"?
    Would you characterize such faith as existential as opposed to theological?
  5. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    29 Aug '06 11:21
    Originally posted by amannion
    An interesting forum held on a similar topic to this in Australia a couple of weeks ago.
    You can download the mp3 file from here - http://www.abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind/stories/2006/1717032.htm

It's worth having a listen to and considers some aspects of what you're asking here.
    That looks promising.
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    29 Aug '06 19:35
    Would you characterize such faith as existential as opposed to theological?
    I have a real fuzzy line between these two concepts. I guess it depends on the meaning I attach to the event. That is often experienced iin hindsite.
  7. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    02 Sep '06 21:22
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I have a real fuzzy line between these two concepts. I guess it depends on the meaning I attach to the event. That is often experienced iin hindsite.
    I like fuzzy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree