1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 05:481 edit
    I am surprised no one has listed the bravery of David fighting a giant with just a slingshot. That is my number one favorite because of his bravery and strong belief that God would give him the victory.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 06:22
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Good works as described by Christ means a lot to me personally and inwardly. Is that ok with you?
    Relax, you can like stories about good works.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 06:34
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am surprised no one has listed the bravery of David fighting a giant with just a slingshot. That is my number one favorite because of his bravery and strong belief that God would give him the victory.
    My hypothesis in starting this thread is that most people who commented would prefer OT 'stories' and that they would all be differnet. So far pretty much true.

David's life is a testament to God's grace and mercy; despite being a "man after God's heart" and the physical ancestor of Jesus, he was an adulterer, a liar and a murderer. It is interesting to consider that Jesus was actually decended from the union of David and Bathsheba.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 11:03
    theres no bravery in fighting with a ranged weapon, david was a coward in my opinion.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 14:21
    A sling, not a slingshot. Slingshots use elastic and are attached to a Y shaped stick. Slings are made of non elastic string. They extent the length of the arm for the purpose of throwing rocks, whereas the slingshot uses elastic to store energy.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 22:25
    Originally posted by divegeester
    My hypothesis in starting this thread is that most people who commented would prefer OT 'stories' and that they would all be differnet. So far pretty much true.

David's life is a testament to God's grace and mercy; despite being a "man after God's heart" and the physical ancestor of Jesus, he was an adulterer, a liar and a murderer. It is interesting to consider that Jesus was actually decended from the union of David and Bathsheba.
    Yes, that is another reason I like David's story. He had bravery and belief in God from a young age and became a King, who was also a sinner just like the rest of us. He received forgiveness from God even though he did not deserve it. So we also can receive forgiveness of our sins throught the grace of the Lord.
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 22:31
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    theres no bravery in fighting with a ranged weapon, david was a coward in my opinion.
    All the grown men refused to go out and face the giant in battle. So David showed bravery compared to them and you.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 22:39
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    A sling, not a slingshot. Slingshots use elastic and are attached to a Y shaped stick. Slings are made of non elastic string. They extent the length of the arm for the purpose of throwing rocks, whereas the slingshot uses elastic to store energy.
    Yes, you are right, David only had a sling to hurl a few small stones at the giant. And he didn't even wear protective armor. He was very brave and confident of God's protection.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 02:02
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I like those stories that make 'modern' Christianity look stupid. Like church leaders telling everyone that ..
    "God is love',
    'God is merciful and forgiving',
    'Jesus Loves you'
    'Just believe and you are saved' ..
    .. when after reading the Bible you see people being killed for making mistakes, or for apparently minor sins.
    Those are your favorite Bible stories?

What a jolly man you must be.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 02:06
    OK the word 'stories' is just there for the atheists to kick about for a while...

But more seriously atheists and theists alike; those who are able to enjoy the Biblical accounts, from whatever perspective, what are your favourites and why if you don't mind sharing?

The travels of Jonah is my favourite, but Elijah on Mt Carmel, Elisha fed by ravens and Ruth's gleening are close seconds.
    I always enjoy the Christmas story of the birth of Jesus.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 03:502 edits

Yes but no.

Josheph's line was decended from Solomon. Mary's line was decended from Nathan.

Nathan was not a child of Bathsheba. So in reality, Jesus did not have a drop of blood from Solomon or Bathsheba.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 03:541 edit
    I have to say that David and Goliath is my favorite. It seems to me that any time one challenges evil, it seems like it is you against the world for whatever reason. It is like Churchill in the little nation island of England taking on Nazi conquered Western Europe all by his lonesome. It is as if to overcome any form of evil in the world, faith of some sort is required to believe that you can defy the odds. In reality, however, evil has already lost. All that needs to be done is kick down the rotten door and the whole structure will fall apart.
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 04:09
    samson and delilah.

a very important lesson in that one; never give away the source of your strength, especially not to a woman who flashes a little titty.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 15:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    I have to say that David and Goliath is my favorite. It seems to me that any time one challenges evil, it seems like it is you against the world for whatever reason. It is like Churchill in the little nation island of England taking on Nazi conquered Western Europe all by his lonesome. It is as if to overcome any form of evil in the world, faith of some so ...[text shortened]... All that needs to be done is kick down the rotten door and the whole structure will fall apart.
    Yeah, the Battle of Britain is one of my favorite Bible stories, too. 😛
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '12 20:19
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yeah, the Battle of Britain is one of my favorite Bible stories, too. 😛
    I especially enjoyed the part where Winston used his cigar to split the English Channel so that they could invade Europe.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree