1. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 19:392 edits
    (John 21:15-17)  When, now, they had breakfasted, Jesus said to Simon Peter:
    “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him: “Yes, Lord,
    you know I have affection for you.” He said to him: “Feed my lambs.”  Again he said
    to him, a second time: “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him: “Yes,
    Lord, you know I have affection for you.” He said to him: “Shepherd my little sheep.”
     He said to him the third time: “Simon son of John, do you have affection for me?”
    Peter became grieved that he said to him the third time: “Do you have affection for
    me?” So he said to him: “Lord, you know all things; you are aware that I have
    affection for you.” Jesus said to him: “Feed my little sheep.

questions for thought,

1. Why did Jesus ask if Peter had affection for him if as Peter states, Christ knew
    that he had.

2. Why did Christ mention both feeding Christ sheep and shepherding them, what is
    the difference.

3. What responsibility do these words of Christ place on Christians if any.
  2. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 23:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    (John 21:15-17)  When, now, they had breakfasted, Jesus said to Simon Peter:
    “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him: “Yes, Lord,
    you know I have affection for you.” He said to him: “Feed my lambs.”  Again he said
    to him, a second time: “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him: “Yes,
    Lord, you know I hav ...[text shortened]...
    the difference.

3. What responsibility do these words of Christ place on Christians if any.
    1, "simon" was being rebuked.

2, food and shelter.

3, feed and shelter those who need it.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 08:211 edit
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    1, "simon" was being rebuked.

2, food and shelter.

3, feed and shelter those who need it.
    1. Hmm, no Simon was not being rebuked, Christ was aware that he had affection for him.
    2. As one who has worked on a farm, one is at liberty to simply drive to the trough and
    dump food, clearly this is different from shepherding. How so.
    3. Hmmm, should we assume that its literal feeding and providing literal shelter, after
    all, sheep, shepherd are all metaphors.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 12:451 edit
    1. Hmm, no Simon was not being rebuked, Christ was aware that he had affection for him.
    2. As one who has worked on a farm, one is at liberty to simply drive to the trough and
    dump food, clearly this is different from shepherding. How so.
    3. Hmmm, should we assume that its literal feeding and providing literal shelter, after
    all, sheep, shepherd are all metaphors.
    "sheep, shepherd are all metaphors."

So then, are day, and snake?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 12:50
    Originally posted by JS357

Is "cherry" in "life is a bowl of cherries" and "cherry picking" also a metaphor?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 13:451 edit
    Originally posted by JS357

Let it be noted that Peter was a fisherman, not a shepherd and yes day and snake can be used metaphorically, for example, that yellow bellied snake RJH, his day will come 🙂
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 15:191 edit
    Let it be noted that Peter was a fisherman, not a shepherd and yes day and snake can be used metaphorically, for example, that yellow bellied snake RJH, his day will come 🙂
    I am not a yellow bellied snake. You know that shepherding the sheep means
    providing for all their needs. One must make sure the lambs and sheep are
    getting the proper amount and type of food for their needs. We need the
    proper spiritual food to keep us spiritually healthy so we will not be tempted
    by Satan's food.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 18:03
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am not a yellow bellied snake. You know that shepherding the sheep means
    providing for all their needs. One must make sure the lambs and sheep are
    getting the proper amount and type of food for their needs. We need the
    proper spiritual food to keep us spiritually healthy so we will not be tempted
    by Satan's food.
    of course your not a real snake RJH, it was just by way of an example.
  9. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 18:261 edit
    the use of language and the way peter was addressed, it was a rebuke of simon's imperfect love for jesus.

jesus addresses peter as simon, son of john and asks simon if he "loves" him. the word used for love in the language translates to supreme love. simon's response was that he had "affection" for christ. affection does not have the same force as love.

for the second time christ asks if simon loves him and simon's reply is again to say that he has affection towards christ.

the 3rd time, christ asks simon if he has "affection" towards him. this is when simon feels distraught since he has figured out he is being rebuked.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 18:35
    the use of language and the way peter was addressed, it was a rebuke of simon's imperfect love for jesus.

jesus addresses peter as simon, son of john and asks simon if he "loves" him. the word used for love in the language translates to supreme love. simon's response was that he had "affection" for christ. affection does not have the same force as l ...[text shortened]... him. this is when simon feels distraught since he has figured out he is being rebuked.
    Study hard and maybe you will be a Christian one day when you grow up.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 18:541 edit

jesus addresses peter as simon, son of john and asks simon if he "loves" him. the word used for love in the language translates to supreme love. simon's response was that he had "affection" for christ. affection does not have the same force as l him. this is when simon feels distraught since he has figured out he is being rebuked.
    the word used for love in the language translates to supreme love??

sorry i just checked an Interlinear, you are havering, AGAIN, the word Christ uses is a
    form of the Greek term, agape, which is principled love, the term Peter replies in, is a
    form of Philia, brotherly love, translated in this instance as, affection

Simon is not being rebuked, Christ is asking him, that if he has affection for him, as he
    claims, then will this affection motivate him to do something.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 19:12

sorry i just checked an Interlinear, you are havering, AGAIN, the word Christ uses is a
    form of the Greek term, agape, which is principled love, the term Peter replies in, is a

Simon is not being rebuk ...[text shortened]... he has affection for him, as he
    Jesus said, "If you love me, obey My commandments" (not the Watchtower Society's commandments).
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 19:19
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Jesus said, "If you love me, obey My commandments" (not the Watchtower Society's commandments).
    take it to your anti watchtower bible and tract society thread Ron Jonah Hinds, this is
    about a specific passage in the Bible, which you are free to comment upon, otherwise
    start your own thread for your petty jealousies.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Apr '12 21:43
    take it to your anti watchtower bible and tract society thread Ron Jonah Hinds, this is
    about a specific passage in the Bible, which you are free to comment upon, otherwise
    start your own thread for your petty jealousies.
    Lol. RJH and love? What an oxymoron.... He would kill any Christin in any country if his country told him too.
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    24 Apr '12 01:00

Simon is not being rebuk ...[text shortened]... he has affection for him, as he
    you have failed to understand the significance of the language used. keep trying.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree