1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '14 22:131 edit
    I don't know if the Universe is so fine tuned after all.

I think it could be very much better tuned. If it would, then there would be life on the moon, on Mars, on Venus, on every planet and moon and asteroid in the solar system. It would be life everywhere in every solarsystem in the galaxy. Life would be sprouting everywhere.

But the Earth is the only place we know holds life. And that is ours. Nowhere else, nothing else.

I think the constants of the Universe are at the end of the scale where life at all is possible. It is just a luck that we do exists.

If someone has tuned the constans, then she has done a bad job.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 00:15
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I don't know if the Universe is so fine tuned after all.

I think it could be very much better tuned. If it would, then there would be life on the moon, on Mars, on Venus, on every planet and moon and asteroid in the solar system. It would be life everywhere in every solarsystem in the galaxy. Life would be sprouting everywhere.

But the Earth is the ...[text shortened]... st a luck that we do exists.

If someone has tuned the constans, then she has done a bad job.
    I don't believe fine-tuning works like that. Fine-tuning is like tuning in a certain radio frequency so one can hear the programs broadcasts by that station. A radio can not be fined-tuned so that you can hear many stations at the same time.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 13:49
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I don't believe fine-tuning works like that. Fine-tuning is like tuning in a certain radio frequency so one can hear the programs broadcasts by that station. A radio can not be fined-tuned so that you can hear many stations at the same time.
    Are you kidding? I BUILT one like that when I was 8.

I think the fact we live in this nicely tuned for life universe tells me there must be other not so finely tuned and others even more finely tuned, like Fabian suggests, there might be universes where what he says happens, life on the moon and such.

What will you say when we actually find life on Mars? "That's not life'', "it's a conspiracy''? Or find life on Europa or some other moon of Jupiter or Saturn?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 21:15
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Are you kidding? I BUILT one like that when I was 8.

I think the fact we live in this nicely tuned for life universe tells me there must be other not so finely tuned and others even more finely tuned, like Fabian suggests, there might be universes where what he says happens, life on the moon and such.

What will you say when we actually find life on M ...[text shortened]... ot life'', "it's a conspiracy''? Or find life on Europa or some other moon of Jupiter or Saturn?
    I don't worry about that, for we are not going to find life on the moon, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, or any of their moons.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Mar '14 17:58
    I don't worry about that, for we are not going to find life on the moon, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, or any of their moons.
    I hope you are still alive, for I would love to see the look on your face when in fact we DO find life on Mars or Europa....
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '14 18:261 edit
    It is so funny! He says " believe ", "believe, and " believe ". What he believes or not believes is not very relevant. He is a creationist. However, what he knows is relevant. But since his history has shown to us that he doesn't know much about science, he cannot be trusted anyway. So reading what he writes is actually a totally waste of time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree