1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 16:39
    Originally posted by sonship
    [b]Read the bible? I studied it! (Yes, atheists can do that).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

But they get killed in doing so because their heart is wrong.
    Sure, you can come to the Bible with the intention of getting away from God.

Appears you are the one making assumptions, hey?

--- ...[text shortened]... d out God's purpose and salvation, I had deep joy and real laughter probably for the first time.[/b]
    You assumed (incorrectly) that i hadn't read the bible as it was inconceivable to your arrogance that anyone could have done so and make a valid assessment that the bible was a collection of superstitious misconceptions. - Far easier for you to say that i was thinking off the top of my head.

My cheek muscles hurt with grinning, literally. When I found out God's purpose and salvation, I had deep joy and real laughter probably for the first time.

Yes, smugness will do that to you.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 17:17
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Sonhouse on a life raft.
    Yes, and I would be selling watermelons🙂
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 17:192 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Being freed from captivity will do it.
    "We were like them that dreamed."

What is your example of the biggest superstitious misconception from the Bible? Not the third or fourth runner up. I'd like to know your absolute biggest one.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 17:38
    Being freed from captivity will do it.
    "We were like them that dreamed."

What is your example of the biggest superstitious misconception from the Bible? Not the third or fourth runner up. I'd like to know your absolute biggest one.
    Has to be the existence of hell itself; the reason i feel at liberty to make jokes about it.

I appreciate that to you hell is a reality, but for me it is a complete fiction, a biblical tool to instill fear and obedience in to those who hear it. The whole concept is abhorrent and as far from a loving God as i can imagine. - As a Christian you have a great deal to learn from Dive and Robbie on this issue.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 17:59
    Has to be the existence of hell itself; the reason i feel at liberty to make jokes about it.

Thanks Ghost.
    This is your absolute biggest superstitious misconception taught in the whole Bible out of all the things there.

I'll have to think about that.
    It seems God existence is somewhat less of a misconception.
    God's character is somewhat less a misconception.
    That something has gone wrong to make us sinners, even that is less a misconception.
    That God has a salvation to save us, even that is less of a misconception.

Your biggest is that there could be a possibility of a realm of no escape from God's judgment is to you the biggest misconception.
    You just cannot conceive of God saying "you lose, forever."

That to you seems the most absolutely unlikely thing that the Bible could ever conceive.

So be it. Thanks for your honesty.

I appreciate that to you hell is a reality, but for me it is a complete fiction, a biblical tool to instill fear and obedience in to those who hear it. The whole concept is abhorrent and as far from a loving God as i can imagine. - As a Christian you have a great deal to learn from Dive and Robbie on this issue.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a bit ridiculous to me Ghost.
    The Bible can go on for page after page with many things to teach without referring to hell.

But a "hollistic" view of God would include some positive and some negative incentives to love Him. Don't you think?

I mean Christ is the Savior, no doubt that is taught. But He is also a great magnet of attraction. I love Him for Himself. I love Him because He is incomparable. I love Him because nothing can compete with Him and nothing is as precious as to know Him.

I guess the sheer attractiveness of the Man Jesus Christ is less an superstitious misconception than than hell to you, a misconception perhaps, but less so than eternal separation from God in a never ending punishment.

Well, you need not dread punishment if you thank God that the Son of God was totally judged in your place on His cross at Calvary. The One who said the most fearsome words about the matter is also the One who said He came to die for us that we'd be saved.

The same mouth.
    The same Person.

The most fearful words came from the same mouth that spoke the most merciful and pardoning words of forgiveness.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 18:17

This is your absolute biggest superstitious misconception taught in the whole Bible out of all the things there.

I'll have to think about that.
    It seems God existence is somewhat less of a misconception.
    God's character is somewhat less a misconception.
    That something has gone wrong to make us sinners, even that is less a misconception.
    Th ...[text shortened]... words came from the same mouth that spoke the most merciful and pardoning words of forgiveness.[/b]
    Well to be honest i was spoiled for choice, but yes, i stand by hell as the biggest superstitious misconception. And yes, you should think on that.

Negative incentives are one thing, eternity in the fires of hell while Jesus watches on eating popcorn is ungodly. (*Popcorn added for effect).
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 20:124 edits

"Has to be the existence of hell itself; the reason i feel at liberty to make jokes about it...."

Ghost of a Duke, you well know of my appreciations of your intellect and eclectic sense of humor; however, what if your dismissive comment doesn't square with ultimate reality? "Hey, GB, what if yours doesn't?" "Fair question. In a word, I've lost nothing in accepting rather than rejecting God's grace [absolutely free] gift of salvation and eternal life. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Yes? No? How about you?" For personal reasons, I'll be absent from this online correspondence chess site and public forums for the next five to six weeks.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 20:29
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Has to be the existence of hell itself; the reason i feel at liberty to make jokes about it...."

Ghost of a Duke, you well know of my appreciations of your intellect and eclectic sense of humor; however, what if your dismissive comment doesn't square with ultimate reality? "Hey ...[text shortened]... ent from this online correspondence chess site and public forums for the next five to six weeks.
    I think, when it comes down to it old chap, my stubbornness won't allow fear to govern what i believe. (Please don't think that i'm saying that Sonship or yourself are guilty of this). Yes, if i am wrong i will have plenty of time in hell to regret my disbelief in its eternal flames. But i am a man of my convictions. I will not believe in things just to cover all bases. I think that would be rather cowardly.

Hope life treats you kindly while you are away sir.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 21:20
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [bI'll be absent from this online correspondence chess site and public forums for the next five to six weeks.[/b]
    Turn your sound UP

YouTube
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 23:012 edits
    Well to be honest i was spoiled for choice, but yes, i stand by hell as the biggest superstitious misconception. And yes, you should think on that.

Negative incentives are one thing, eternity in the fires of hell while Jesus watches on eating popcorn is ungodly. (*Popcorn added for effect).
    I've been participating in this Forum sense about 2003. (jaywill then sonship). You can go through the pages and see threads I started or participated in.

95% of all talk about eternal damnation was defensive in reaction to some posters saying it was wrong, not biblical to believe the passages on this. People like Divegeester, Robbie, Galveston wrote some apologetics on this subject to.

You have not found me brandishing damnation as the major incentive to believe in Jesus Christ.

I think you need to have that caricature of me.
    There is simply not enough time to speak of all the unsearchable riches of Christ and Who He is.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 23:03
    I've been participating in this Forum sense about 2003. (jaywill then sonship). You can go through the pages and see threads I started or participated in.

95% of all talk about eternal damnation was defensive in reaction to some posters saying it was wrong, not biblical to believe the passages on this.

You have not found me brandishing damnation as ...[text shortened]... There is simply not enough time to speak of all the unsearchable riches of Christ and Who He is.
    wtf are "unsearchable riches"?

talk in plain English man and perhaps more will listen.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 23:061 edit

Unsearchable riches ?

That means the preciousness and worth of Jesus cannot be exhausted. How else can He keep us consumed in enjoyment of Him for eternity?

Look at the physical universe. Don't you get it ? It speaks of God Himself endlessly precious and infinitely enjoyable if we just let Him have His will.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 23:35

If he does, will you?

Somehow I doubt it.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 07:08

95% of all talk about eternal damnation was defensive in reaction to some posters saying it was wrong, not biblical to believe the passages on this. People like Divegeester, Robbie, Galveston wrote som ...[text shortened]... There is simply not enough time to speak of all the unsearchable riches of Christ and Who He is.
    With respect, and according to my rough calculations, it would take me approximately 927 years to review your previous posts on this site. 😉

I do not though think you are someone who 'beats the drum on hell.' I just responded to your comment of hell being a negative incentive, and didn't mean to infer that this was something you obsessively spoke about.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree