Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 16:25
    Srimad Bhagavatam 4;25;57-61

kvacit pibantyam pibati madiram mada-vihvalah asnantyam kvacid asnati
    jaksatyam saha jaksiti kvacid gayati gayantyam rudatyam rudati kvacit
    kvacid dhasantyam hasati jalpantyam anu jalpati kvacid dhavati dhavantyam
    tisthantyam anu tisthati anu sete sayanayam anvaste kvacid asatim
    kvacic chrnoti srnvantyam pasyantyam anu pasyati kvacij jighrati jighrantyam
    sprsantyam sprsati kvacit kvacic ca socatim jayam anu socati dinavat
    anu hrsyati hrsyantyammuditam anu modate

Translation
    SB 4.25.57-61: When the Queen drank liquor, King Purañjana also engaged in drinking. When the Queen dined, he used to dine with her, and when she chewed, King Purañjana used to chew along with her.

When the Queen sang, he also sang. Similarly, when the Queen cried, he also cried, and when the Queen laughed, he also laughed. When the Queen talked loosely, he also talked loosely, and when the Queen walked, the King walked behind her.

When the Queen would stand still, the King would also stand still, and when the Queen would lie down in bed, he would also follow and lie down with her. When the Queen sat, he would also sit, and when the Queen heard something, he would follow her to hear the same thing. When the Queen saw something, the King would also look at it, and when the Queen smelled something, the King would follow her to smell the same thing.

When the Queen touched something, the King would also touch it, and when the dear Queen was lamenting, the poor King also had to follow her in lamentation. In the same way, when the Queen felt enjoyment, he also enjoyed, and when the Queen was satisfied, the King also felt satisfaction.

In this way, King Purañjana was captivated by his nice wife and was thus cheated. Indeed, he became cheated in his whole existence in the material world. Even against that poor foolish King's desire, he remained under the control of his wife, just like a pet animal that dances according to the order of its master.
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 17:18
    Originally posted by Dasa

kvacic chrnoti srnvantyam pasyantyam anu pasyat ...[text shortened]... e control of his wife, just like a pet animal that dances according to the order of its master.
    What a hen pecked, pussy whipped whimp!
  3. England
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 18:28
    well if thats the translation its 3x longer than the original, maybe a clue to tramslating the bible..
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 01:09
    how was he cheated? the man obviously got fulfillment from what he was doing. we are here to experience the material aspects of existence. there is no wrong way to live.
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 03:59
    Slap dat hoe down !!!! 🙂 LOL

Manny
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 07:05

kvacic chrnoti srnvantyam pasyantyam anu pasyat ...[text shortened]... e control of his wife, just like a pet animal that dances according to the order of its master.
    Can you explain how he was cheated?

Seems he was happy or why else would he do such things?

Comparing his actions (free will) with those of a trained animal (conditioned) is pointless and irrelevant. Although I would concede that humans can be conditioned and still be happy.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 09:011 edit
    The clumsy and rather tedious repetition in the way this folk tale is told does not lend it any mystique, I have to say, nor does it make it seem portentous at all. Nor does it make a particularly impressive or thought provoking point.

As I read it, I assumed it was building up to something. But it didn't. Presumably there is some element of misogyny in play, but even if that is so it is not delivered with any effect and thus seems quite artless. There's even something ever so slightly creepy about it in a way. I wouldn't read it to children, for instance.

Does Srimad Bhagavatam have any folk stories about men controlling women or women blindly mimicking the actions of men?

Presumably this book is more perceptive in other parts. I hope so. This is a very drab and inconsequential little tale and as an allegory it certainly achieves nothing, in my estimation. As for spiritual insight or value: I'd say zero. Dasa perhaps will come along and explain what he sees in it.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 21:04
    Originally posted by stoker
    well if thats the translation its 3x longer than the original, maybe a clue to tramslating the bible..
    The original is a condensed version.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 21:13

http://vedabase.net/sb/4/25/57-61/en2

Quote: PURPORT The mind is the place where the self is situated, and the mind is conducted by the intelligence. The living entity, situated within the heart, follows the intelligence. The intelligence is herein depicted as the Queen, and the soul, under mental control, follows the material intelligence just as the King follows his wife. The conclusion is that material intelligence is the cause of bondage for the living entity. The point is that one has to take to spiritual intelligence to come out of this entanglement.
    Unquote.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 21:33
    Originally posted by JS357
    http://vedabase.net/sb/4/25/57-61/en2

Quote: PURPORT The mind is the place where the self is situated, and the mind is conducted by the intelligence. The living entity, situated within the heart, follows the intelligence. The intelligence is herein depicted as the Queen, and the soul, under mental control, follows the material intelligence just as the King ...[text shortened]... nt is that one has to take to spiritual intelligence to come out of this entanglement.
    Unquote.
    Well then it is a poor piece of allegorical writing that misses its mark.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree