1. Joined
    06 Jul '12
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 14:52
    >
    >
    > Seeing Christmas through New Eyes
    >
    > "Christmas is a time for remembering the Son of God and renewing our determination to take upon us His name. It is a time to reassess our lives and examine our thoughts, feelings, and actions. Let this be a time of remembrance, of gratitude, and a time of forgiveness. Let it be a time to ponder the Atonement of Jesus Christ and its meaning for each of us personally. Let it especially be a time of renewal and recommitment to live by the word of God and to obey His commandments. By doing this, we honor Him far more than we ever could with lights, gifts, or parties."
    >
    > —Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Seeing Christmas through New Eyes", 2010 First Presidency Christmas Devotional, December 2010
    > Topics: Christmas
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 15:02
    Originally posted by Lloyd E Adkins
    >
    >
    >
    > "Christmas is a time for remembering the Son of God and renewing our determination to take upon us His name. It is a time to reassess our lives and examine our thoughts, feelings, and actions. Let this be a time of remembrance, of gratitude, and a time of forgiveness. Let it be a time to ponder the A ...[text shortened]... gh New Eyes", 2010 First Presidency Christmas Devotional, December 2010
    You Don't Have To Go Down in My Basement
    YouTube

Christmas is a time for friends and family and reminding oneself and others of the joys of life and living.

Keep your imaginary evil gods to yourself.
  3. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 15:19
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You Don't Have To Go Down in My Basement
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dup6xkvj1S0

Christmas is a time for friends and family and reminding oneself and others of the joys of life and living.

Keep your imaginary evil gods to yourself.
    Hallowed are the Ori.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 15:21
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Hallowed are the Ori.
    /me deploys his +20 ark of truth...
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 18:43
    Originally posted by Lloyd E Adkins
    >
    >
    >
    > "Christmas is a time for remembering the Son of God and renewing our determination to take upon us His name. It is a time to reassess our lives and examine our thoughts, feelings, and actions. Let this be a time of remembrance, of gratitude, and a time of forgiveness. Let it be a time to ponder the A ...[text shortened]... gh New Eyes", 2010 First Presidency Christmas Devotional, December 2010
    Mormonism is not accepted here, sorry.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 23:06
    Originally posted by apathist
    United Church of God
    (http://www.ucg.org/bible-faq/when-was-jesus-christ-born-was-jesus-born-december-25-christmas-day) selected

A careful analysis of Scripture, however, clearly indicates that December 25 couldn't be the date for Christ's birth. Here are two primary reasons:

First, we know that shepherds were in the fields watching their flocks at the time of Jesus' birth (Luke 2:7-8). Shepherds were not in the fields during December.

Second, Jesus' parents came to Bethlehem to register in a Roman census (Luke 2:1-4). Such censuses were not taken in winter, ...

Given the difficulties and the desire to bring pagans into Christianity, "the important fact then which I have asked you to get clearly into your head is that the fixing of the date as December 25th was a compromise with paganism" (William Walsh, The Story of Santa Klaus, 1970, p. 62).

I'd like to see the Christians admit they stole the pagan holiday and give it back. Create your own holiday to celebrate the birth of Christ. Is not your God better served by honesty?

same source
    If Jesus Christ wasn't born on December 25, does the Bible indicate when He was born? The biblical accounts point to [b]the fall of the year
    as the most likely time of Jesus' birth, based on the conception and birth of John the Baptist.

Since Elizabeth (John's mother) was in her sixth month of pregnancy when Jesus was conceived (Luke 1:24-36), we can determine the approximate time of year Jesus was born if we know when John was born. John's father, Zacharias, was a priest serving in the Jerusalem temple during the course of Abijah (Luke 1:5). Historical calculations indicate this course of service corresponded to June 13-19 in that year (The Companion Bible, 1974, Appendix 179, p. 200).

It was during this time of temple service that Zacharias learned that he and his wife, Elizabeth, would have a child (Luke 1:8-13). After he completed his service and traveled home, Elizabeth conceived (verses 23-24). Assuming John's conception took place near the end of June, adding nine months brings us to the end of March as the most likely time for John's birth. Adding another six months (the difference in ages between John and Jesus) brings us to the end of September as the likely time of Jesus' birth.

Isn't the Christian god strong enough to spread his message without stealing the holidays of others and forcing the pagans to submit?[/b]
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 00:25
    [b][quote]United Church of God
    (http://www.ucg.org/bible-faq/when-was-jesus-christ-born-was-jesus-born-december-25-christmas-day) selected

A careful analysis of Scripture, however, clearly indicates that December 25 couldn't be the date for Christ's birth. Here are two primary reasons:

First, we kno ...[text shortened]... ]stealing
    the holidays of others and forcing the pagans to submit?[/b][/b]
    I agree and say one step more that everyday for the Christian should be a day to remember the birth of the savior

Manny
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 10:29
    Originally posted by menace71
    I agree and say one step more that everyday for the Christian should be a day to remember the birth of the savior Manny
    That is so similar to my response when asked why I don't much care for Valentine's Day!

The op also appeared in the General forum. I guess that isn't quite spamming since the audiences may be different, which is why I went ahead and re-posted my response. But I accidentally didn't re-post the direct response. Here it comes!
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 10:291 edit
    The popular celebratory customs associated in various countries with Christmas have a mix of pre-Christian, Christian and secular themes and origins. Wiki

Some selected quotes from Faith Freedom International:

The Christmas holidays were celebrated much earlier than the birth of Christ. It is a Mithraic festivity dating back more than 4000 years.

Noting that days start becoming longer after the winter solstice, the ancients gave birth to the myth that the sun-god rises from his death after three days. This belief of the death and resurrection of god was later incorporated into Christianity.

Prior to the dominance of Christianity the Romans celebrated this festivity during the 25th of December to 6th of January.

Mithraism, as St. Jerome reports, was forcefully subdued especially in Rome and in Alexandria. (my bolding)

The use of evergreen tree in Christmas festivities comes from Germany where it was used in worship and celebration of the yule god as well as in observance of the resurrected sun god.

The evergreen represented life and also was regarded as a phallic symbol in fertility worship. It was believed that the red holly was a symbol of the menstrual blood of the queen of heaven, Diana. The white berries of mistletoe were considered to be the droplets of the semen of the sun god. Branches of holy and mistletoe were hung in doorways of temples and homes and it was believed that kissing beneath them will make the spirits of the god and goddess to enter one's body and make them fertile.

St Augustine says "we hold this (Christmas) day Holy, not like the pagans because of the Birth of the Sun, but because of the birth of him who made it (Christmas) day Holy, not like the pagans because of the Birth of the Sun, but because of the birth of him who made it."

This clearly shows that this festivity was dedicated to the Birth of the Sun that was adopted by the Christians.

I could go on and on showing that Christianity is not the source of our Christmas traditions.

(Too those) who celebrate the holydays now known as Christmas, remember that the origin of this beautiful festivity is not the birth of Christ but the birth of life, hope and love. It represents the victory of light over darkness. It is the triumph of good over evil.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree