1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 20:56
    I am aware of four forces of nature. To wit:
    1. Gravitational
    2. Electromagnetic
    3. Strong
    4. Weak

Am I missing one (or more) of the forces?
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 21:36
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    1. Gravitational
    2. Electromagnetic
    3. Strong
    4. Weak

Sounds fine to me although there have always cropped up mention of a possible fifth force - perhaps taking the form of some sort of anti-gravity.

But what's your point?
    Is the famed RHP Spiritual thread about to become scientific?
  3. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 21:42
    Actually they were able to unite electromagnetic and the weak force.... its called electro-weak!
    so really there are 3...

Did you know that gravity is the weakest of the forces and we suppose they should all be equal (if we are able to unite them under one theory they must be) so the theory is that gravity seeps into all dimensions and that is why it is so weak!

Basically meaning that the earth is a central point for all dimensions, so if there are extra-dimensional aliens out there they could be living on earth in other dimensions and we would never know it.... kind of like how chimps in the wild don't even know that we exist, and they see airplanes flying over they think it is a huge bird. Well when we see UFOs we think they are space-ships.
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 21:51
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    Actually they were able to unite electromagnetic and the weak force.... its called electro-weak!
    so really there are 3...

Did you know that gravity is the weakest of the forces and we suppose they should all be equal (if we are able to unite them under one theory they must be) so the theory is that gravity seeps into all dimensions and that is why it ...[text shortened]... flying over they think it is a huge bird. Well when we see UFOs we think they are space-ships.
    Be careful, you're getting into highly speculative areas here, hich our Christian brothers and sisters might take to mean that evolution is wrong. (Don't ask me how - but pretty much anything to them seems to mean that evolution is wrong. You could be talking about quantum physics, or cell biology, or cognitive science, or ... whatever, and evolution will therefore be wrong. Strange logic processes going on there.)
    By the way, the electroweak and strong forces have been unified to an extent in the GUT force.
  5. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 22:25
    Originally posted by amannion
    Be careful, you're getting into highly speculative areas here, hich our Christian brothers and sisters might take to mean that evolution is wrong. (Don't ask me how - but pretty much anything to them seems to mean that evolution is wrong. You could be talking about quantum physics, or cell biology, or cognitive science, or ... whatever, and evolution will t ...[text shortened]... By the way, the electroweak and strong forces have been unified to an extent in the GUT force.
    Isn't religion in general highly speculative? Why should I be careful about speculating about other dimensions and aliens when my "Christian siblings" aren't careful about their own speculations? I mean, if God is some omnipotent all powerful being then why does "HE" need to send down Jesus? That is a direct contradiction of his own power.

I don't think that the theory of evolution is entirely correct in the sense of completley relying on natural selection, there may be some kind of "supernatural" conter-part to the process which favors intelligence... although I don't think it could be a direct "divine intervention" from some kind of spiritual entity.... I'm more of a hinduist who would think that the natural forces of nature kind of take their course regardless of any entitiy which exists inside this universe.

Maybe a natural evolution perpetuated by an intelligent design?
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 22:31
    Originally posted by amannion
    Sounds fine to me although there have always cropped up mention of a possible fifth force - perhaps taking the form of some sort of anti-gravity.

But what's your point?
    Is the famed RHP Spiritual thread about to become scientific?
    Prior to going further, let's at least establish the ground premise, shall we? Are there any forces which I may have overlooked?
  7. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 22:41
    Prior to going further, let's at least establish the ground premise, shall we? Are there any forces which I may have overlooked?
    The force of consciousness?

That is not recognized by the scientific community just yet... so no, I don't think so.
  8. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 23:01
    I'm dubious as to where you're going - knowing that it's going to be some sort of religious inference - but no I don't think you've overlooked any forces, certainly at least as far as our current understanding goes ...
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 02:21
    1. Gravitational
    2. Electromagnetic
    3. Strong
    4. Weak

Which of these employ pheromones?
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 02:43
    How should we classify natural selection, if not a force of nature?
  11. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 02:47
    How should we classify natural selection, if not a force of nature?
    Natural selection is a biological process. It, like all other natural processes result from the interactions of the forces of nature with the physical objects in the natural world.

Your question is analagous to asking why the law of conservation of momentum isn't a force of nature. Which is nonsensical ...
  12. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 03:161 edit
    1. Gravitational
    2. Electromagnetic
    3. Strong
    4. Weak

Yes, you are missing an important one.

5. Goddunnit.

(5) must exist. For example, at the battle of Jerico, the sun stood still with respect to the earth. No coherent combination of (1) through (4) can account for this phenomenon, indicating that there must exist at least one other physical force in the universe.
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 03:48
    The force of Jesus Christ to change lives. He sure changed mine!
  14. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 03:52
    Originally posted by telerion
    The force of Jesus Christ to change lives. He sure changed mine!
    Hallelujah!
    Amen!
    Right on!

That sure is a force to be reckoned with ...
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 08:03
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    I don't think that the theory of evolution is entirely correct in the sense of completley relying on natural selection, there may be some kind of "supernatural" conter-part to the process which favors intelligence... although I don't think it could be a direct "divine intervention" from some kind of spiritual entity.... I'm more of a hinduist who would t ...[text shortened]... inside this universe.

Maybe a natural evolution perpetuated by an intelligent design?
    Why the assumption that this supposed "supernatural" conter-part would be favoring intelligence? By looking at the range of life on the earth today, I would say that great intelligence is not particularly popular. I also believe that humans are nowhere near as intelligent as is biologically possible so the supposed "supernatural" conter-part is not doing so well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree