1. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 17:33
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Results, right? I was referencing action.
    will this help? I realize it's not a differential equation

Life[m_List?MatrixQ,
    {g1_Integer?NonNegative,g2_Integer?NonNegative}]:=
    CellularAutomaton[
    { 224, {2,{{2,2,2},{2,1,2},{2,2,2}}}, {1,1} }, {m,0}, g2,
    { {g1,g2}, Automatic }] /; g2>=g1

Amazingly, life is a universal cellular automaton, in the sense that it is effectively capable of emulating any cellular automaton, Turing machine, or any other system that can be translated into a system known to be universal. The outlines of a proof for life's universality were given by Berlekamp, Conway, and Guy (1982) and independently by Gosper (Gardner 1983, pp. 250-253)
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 17:40
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    will this help? I realize it's not a differential equation

Life[m_List?MatrixQ,
    {g1_Integer?NonNegative,g2_Integer?NonNegative}]:=
    CellularAutomaton[
    { 224, {2,{{2,2,2},{2,1,2},{2,2,2}}}, {1,1} }, {m,0}, g2,
    { {g1,g2}, Automatic }] /; g2>=g1

Amazingly, life is a universal cellular automaton, in the sense that it is eff ...[text shortened]... n by Berlekamp, Conway, and Guy (1982) and independently by Gosper (Gardner 1983, pp. 250-253)
    A Turing machine is dependent upon what, exactly?
  3. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 17:44
    more than happy to help you out:

A Turing machine is a theoretical computing machine invented by Alan Turing (1937) to serve as an idealized model for mathematical calculation. A Turing machine consists of a line of cells known as a "tape" that can be moved back and forth, an active element known as the "head" that possesses a property known as "state" and that can change the property known as "color" of the active cell underneath it, and a set of instructions for how the head should modify the active cell and move the tape (Wolfram 2002, pp. 78-81). At each step, the machine may modify the color of the active cell, change the state of the head, and then move the tape one unit to the left or right.
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 17:53
    btw,,,I'm joshing you
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 18:42
    btw,,,I'm joshing you
    Thank you for the head's up.

The point, of course, was that a Turing machine can only imitate when it is told what to do. In other words, it requires an outside agency to feed it commands. Cause and meaning are bound up within the machines symbols.
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 09:18

The point, of course, was that a Turing machine can only imitate when it is told what to do. In other words, it requires an outside agency to feed it commands. Cause and meaning are bound up within the machines symbols.
    Cause and meaning in the real world are bound up by the rules that govern all behaviour (the ones you listed at the start of the thread).
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 13:52
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Cause and meaning in the real world are bound up by the rules that govern all behaviour (the ones you listed at the start of the thread).
    And yet, from the sound of it, natural selection is fitting into an agency modality without actually being the same. Is natural selection a force of nature?
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 15:161 edit

you're forgeting randomization. which is why I pointed out the diffusion equation, which is a partial differential equation.

You must check out " bSerene " before you say "requires an outside agency"
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 22:10
    you're forgeting randomization. which is why I pointed out the diffusion equation, which is a partial differential equation.

You must check out " bSerene " before you say "requires an outside agency"
    You'll have to forgive my ignorance on this one. Are you referring to a computer game? If not, or if so, any recommended links?
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    03 Apr '06 00:12
    You'll have to forgive my ignorance on this one. Are you referring to a computer game? If not, or if so, any recommended links?
    http://alifegames.sourceforge.net/bSerene/index.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree