1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 04:57
    Are all sins equal? Should any sin be forgiven if the sinner truly repents?

I got onto this conversation with pawnhandler in a thread about child abusing priests. He said he could never forgive one if they did that to a member of his family. I responded that wasn't a very Christian attitude.

What do YOU think?
  2. London
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 05:27
    Originally posted by scottishinnz

I got onto this conversation with pawnhandler in a thread about child abusing priests. He said he could never forgive one if they did that to a member of his family. I responded that wasn't a very Christian attitude.

What do YOU think?
    All sins are not equal; but any sin should be forgiven if the sinner truly repents.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 06:48
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    All sins are not equal; but any sin should be forgiven if the sinner truly repents.
    Truly I say unto you, All their sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter: but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin: because they say, ‘He has an unclean spirit’. (Book of Mark 3:28-29)

He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come. (Book of Matthew 12:30-32)

http://www.blasphemychallenge.com/
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 14:24
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I thought there was a bit in thar ol bible about all sins being equal in the eyes of God...

wait a tic

http://www.scripturessay.com/article.php?cat=&id=402

says that the bible doesn't reference whether any sin is greater or lesser in the eyes of God, and any presumption thereafter must be your own, I guess...
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 14:28

What do YOU think?
    Yes and no. As it has been pointed out there are more "serious" transgressions, however, once one has sinned you become a sinner in the eyes of God thus needing atonement regardless of what that sin may have been.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 14:28

What do YOU think?
    Yes and no. As it has been pointed out there are more "serious" transgressions, however, once one has sinned you become a sinner in the eyes of God thus needing atonement regardless of what that sin may have been.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 14:281 edit

What do YOU think?

Is seems I stutter when I post. Apolo...apolo....apologies. 😛
  8. London
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 16:18
    I thought there was a bit in thar ol bible about all sins being equal in the eyes of God...

wait a tic

http://www.scripturessay.com/article.php?cat=&id=402

says that the bible doesn't reference whether any sin is greater or lesser in the eyes of God, and any presumption thereafter must be your own, I guess...
    Of the four verses cited, only one (James 2:10) actually compares sins; the others simply make the point that we're all sinners. Even with James, once one reads the verse in context, it becomes clear why he equates the sins -- he is specifically talking to those who commit grave sins (as the Decalogue lists).

Indeed, there are other places in the Bible that clearly delineate grades of sin. Christ's description of the punishments (Lk 12:47-48) provides a metaphor; 1 John 5:16-17 frankly states that there are two levels of sin.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 16:22

What do YOU think?
    Scot: "He said he could never forgive one if they did that to a member of his family. I responded that wasn't a very Christian attitude. "

... and what is your attitude in this ? Could you forgive ?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 02:232 edits

What do YOU think?
    Any single sin is enough to keep one separated from God. All sins would be equal in that sense. But obviously murder is a greater sin than stealing a piece of candy.
    Now this won't go over well with some folks, but, repentance won't get one forgiven.
    At this time, in this present age of the dispensation of the grace of God, all one need do is believe that Jesus died on the cross for their sins, and every sin, past, present, and future is forgiven forever.
    What one does after salvation is obtained is an entirely different topic.

As far as forgiving some one for molesting one of my children, I would at least see to it that that person would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. And if that individual was truly sorry for what they had done, then I would forgive them.

But if I were to catch them in the act I would probably do my best to maim them. And if they put up too much of a fight, one of us might get dead.
    Sorry if that doesn't sound too christian. 🙁
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 02:40
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Scot: "He said he could never forgive one if they did that to a member of his family. I responded that wasn't a very Christian attitude. "

... and what is your attitude in this ? Could you forgive ?
    I'm not of a religion which preaches forgiveness, so that point is moot.
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 02:42
    Originally posted by josephw
    Any single sin is enough to keep one separated from God. All sins would be equal in that sense. But obviously murder is a greater sin than stealing a piece of candy.
    Now this won't go over well with some folks, but, repentance won't get one forgiven.
    At this time, in this present age of the dispensation of the grace of God, all one need do is believe that ...[text shortened]... o much of a fight, one of us might get dead.
    Sorry if that doesn't sound too christian. 🙁
    Why prosecute them, do you place the law of man above the judgement of God? I thought God was the only one who could judge us?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 09:311 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Truly I say unto you, All their sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter: but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin: because they say, ‘He has an unclean spirit’. (Book of Mark 3:28-29)

He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with m ...[text shortened]... his age or in the age to come. (Book of Matthew 12:30-32)

http://www.blasphemychallenge.com/
    Would you know what counts as blasphemy especially as translated from the greek/hebrew?
    The site you mentioned implies that the words "I deny the Holy Spirit" is enough.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree