1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 18:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I never said there was anything wrong with the sentence in Spanish. No1 clearly referred to the "mixed breed" comment and josephw did not respond by saying it was not racist, he responded by saying 'lighten up'.

However, since you brought it up, the whole thrust of the original post was that maths education is getting worse and the implication was that ...[text shortened]... tainly could be interpreted as 'denigrating immigrants or speakers of another language'.
    No1 clearly referred to the "mixed breed" comment

No, he condemned both the "mixed breed" comment AND the original post with the joke as racist.
    "[/i]The whole first post is a particulary unfunny cut and paste with a racist punch line.[/i]"
    -no1

the whole thrust of the original post was that maths education is getting worse and the implication was that it is even worse when taught in Spanish

The spanish question seems roughly the same as the 1970's question [as near as I can tell using crappy online translators]. So much for 'getting worse'.

The implication could also be that the US public education has turned to crap over the years and that immigrants can suffer under it just like anyone else.

That is not simply 'acknowledging the fact', it certainly could be interpreted as 'denigrating immigrants or speakers of another language'.

Especially by those who go out of their way to get offended.

josephw and I are from a country that makes guys like Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle into successful comedians. Is it racist when those two joke about black men keeping a white friend in their car so they don't get harassed or beaten by the police? Technically, probably yes. Did I laugh anyway? You bet.

But laughing about a joke that could be considered racist is not the same as being racist, just as enjoying a violent action movie is not the same as going out on a killing spree.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 19:01
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    No1 clearly referred to the "mixed breed" comment

No, he condemned both the "mixed breed" comment AND the original post with the joke as racist.
    "[/i]The whole first post is a particulary unfunny cut and paste with a racist punch line.[/i]"
    -no1

the whole thrust of the original post was that maths education is getting worse an ...[text shortened]... s enjoying a violent action movie is not the same as going out on a killing spree.
    ... just as enjoying a violent action movie is not the same as going out on a killing spree.
    Well, if you go, make sure you take your camera.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 22:58
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Where's the Spirituality in making racist comments? The whole first post is a particulary unfunny cut and paste with a racist punch line. And your "mixed breed" comment is revealing; does everyone in your church refer to people that way?
    So you think I'm a racist? I won't dignify your accusation with a reply.

We are all members of the human race. That's the only race I see.

When I was about twelve years old I road a bike to school. One day I saw a boy my age walking to the same school so I offered him a ride. We became friends and each day I would pick him up and off we'd go.
    Then I brought him home with me, and my mom, a wonderful Italian woman from Brooklyn, welcomed my new friend in as she did for any other friend I would bring home.
    Now my dad, who was from Alabama, must have given that boy a hard look because my friend never came around again, and neither did I see him on my way to school anymore.
    My dad backed me against the wall and told me, with his finger poking me in the chest, that I wasn't to bring that "nigger" into his house again.

The thing that was strange to me was that I hadn't even noticed that my friend was black.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 04:33
    Originally posted by josephw
    Fifty years of math 1957-2007

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled out 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just ...[text shortened]... Un hachero vende una carretada de Madera $100. El costo la producciones es $80. Cuanto ha hecho?
    This is why I smell opportunity in education. This is going to make me rich!
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 04:403 edits

I road a bike to school.
    Two questions.

1) Is this story any more true than the Burger King story?
    2) Do you know any good jokes about how poorly today's liberal educators are teaching students to spell compared to when you were in school?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 11:03
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    The implication could also be that the US public education has turned to crap over the years and that immigrants can suffer under it just like anyone else.
    The funny part for me is that most of the Americans I know who were taught in the 70's got a crappy education. Makes you wonder.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 13:26
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Two questions.

1) Is this story any more true than the Burger King story?
    2) Do you know any good jokes about how poorly today's liberal educators are teaching students to spell compared to when you were in school?
    The original post was something I found. That's why I titled this thread "found this".

The post you just replied to is a true story in every detail. (I'm not a liar as no1 seems to think).

No, I don't have any good jokes about how poorly educators are teaching students to spell. But I'm sure we can think of something!
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 17:43

The post you just replied to is a true story in every detail.
    You are actually going to maintain that at 12 years old you failed to notice that your friend was black?
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 18:02
    You are actually going to maintain that at 12 years old you failed to notice that your friend was black?
    I find it hard to believe that a 12-year old with a parent with such severe race issues would not
    be attuned to matters of race amongst his colleagues. It would be as if this incident was the
    first time he heard his father say 'nigger' or expressed any extreme racial prejudice before.
    The general content of the story rings true; the idea that a 12-year old wouldn't notice the skin
    color of his new-found friend (especially given his father) seems highly romanticized.

Nemesio
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 18:54
    Not exactly. What I failed to notice was the idea that being black was bad.

Now, before you go and think I think that being black is bad, understand that you know as well as I do that being of another race has nothing to do with being bad. I know I said I didn't notice he was black, but it made no significant difference to me whether he was black or red or white or anything else. When my dad, who, by the way, never really taught me much of anything of any value, boxed me into a corner and made inference as to my friend's color, I was forever marred by it. That is until I was enlightened.

Racism is a product of ignorance.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Feb '08 19:01
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I find it hard to believe that a 12-year old with a parent with such severe race issues would not
    be attuned to matters of race amongst his colleagues. It would be as if this incident was the
    first time he heard his father say 'nigger' or expressed any extreme racial prejudice before.
    The general content of the story rings true; the idea that a 12-year ...[text shortened]... r of his new-found friend (especially given his father) seems highly romanticized.

Nemesio
    It was in fact the first time I had heard the word.
    You'll have to understand my dad was married to the navy. He was never around. And when he was, he was too busy.
    I learned later in life shortly before his death that he wasn't my biological father. I was surprised and relieved. I didn't hate him either. But he was not a skilled parent.

Believe what you want.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree