1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 23:25
    Is our will completely independent of environmental factors? I say NO. Most people will respond differently, for example, if a man made a pass at them than if a woman did.

If our will is affected by the environment, then is it truly free? Free of what?
  2. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 23:281 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Is our will completely independent of environmental factors? I say NO. Most people will respond differently, for example, if a man made a pass at them than if a woman did.

If our will is affected by the environment, then is it truly free? Free of what?
    What?
  3. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 23:41

Have you considered the limitations imposed on the "idea" of free will by the hard wired nature of the human mind. . . ?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 23:43

Maybe not free of, but free TO!
  5. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 00:042 edits
    Read. . . Explore the philosophical ideas relating to free will. . . Then do more than this and look at the neurological research that has been ploughed into understanding the nature of the human mind. . .

Here is a good starting point. . . .

http://www.kurzweilai.net
  6. Joined
    29 Nov '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '07 18:40

Our "will" is only a manifestation of our environmental influences. Imagine a will without context. The very idea makes no sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree