1. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 21:43
    I've heard this before. When you become Christian you gain freedom in Jesus. What does this mean to be born again? What is new?
  2. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 21:47
    Originally posted by Orange Peel
    I've heard this before. When you become Christian you gain freedom in Jesus. What does this mean to be born again? What is new?
    It's more pleasant than the first time you were born.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 23:08
    Freedom in Christ refers to a few things. One who is born of the Spirit is now in possession of a human spirit, whereas previously, they were simply dichotomous--- just body and soul.

Every person born of the seed of man since Adam's fall has been born in such a manner: spiritually dead. However, as part of a package deal, we have also received what is known as the sin nature. The sin nature is sometimes called the 'flesh,' but does not refer to the physical body. Rather, the 'flesh' speaks of the corrupt nature we received from Adam, a type of inside agent which naturally wages war against God.

When a person believes on the Lord Jesus Christ, they receive a human spirit, and thus become free from the death which previously ruled their existence. To be with God, one must be like God--- similar in nature. Body and soul is partly like God, but not enough. To be like God, one must have a similar nature: body, soul, and spirit. That trichotomous nature is the first freedom.

Although the sin nature is part of the body (and therefore prevalent until the soul separates from the body), a believer receives a new nature which is capable of effective war against the sin nature. This is another freedom.

Without a spirit, man has devised various belief systems which attempt to address the sin nature. While in relation to one another these systems have varying degrees of success, overall the systems are ineffective. These systems are better known by the term religions. Religions implore and demand certain acts from man in order to gain the object of each. Christianity, however, makes no such demands. The issue in Christianity is faith alone in Christ alone. All work has been accomplished by the Lord Jesus Christ. Our one charge: believe and be saved.

This freedom from work and religion is the most difficult for most people to comprehend. Indeed, it has become a huge stumbling block, even for those who outwardly appear to be very righteous and/or holy. While I cannot speak for others, the freedom from working to appease an impossible-to-please God is the most profound relief which I can personally imagine.

It seems a small thing for God to make eternal life, a heaven with streets of gold and beauty unspeakable. But how He made a relationship with Him entirely dependent upon His work, completely independent of even my best work... that's a marvel too much to contain and a relief beyond measure.

That brings the greatest of the freedoms, the freedom to freely choose to love Him.
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 23:13
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Freedom in Christ refers to a few things. One who is born of the Spirit is now in possession of a human spirit, whereas previously, they were simply dichotomous--- just body and soul.

Every person born of the seed of man since Adam's fall has been born in such a manner: spiritually dead. However, as part of a package deal, we have also received what i ...[text shortened]... re.

That brings the greatest of the freedoms, the freedom to freely choose to love Him.
    Or, you could go the simpler option ... there is no God.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 23:18
    Originally posted by amannion
    Or, you could go the simpler option ... there is no God.
    There you go again!
  6. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 00:29
    There you go again!
    Sorry.
    Can't help myself.

It's like a compulsion I have ...
    Maybe the devil's making me do it?
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 00:31
    Originally posted by amannion
    Sorry.
    Can't help myself.

It's like a compulsion I have ...
    Maybe the devil's making me do it?
    Wrong thread.
    Funny.
    But wrong thread.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 00:32
    This sentence reminded me of Mad-TV's Steven Seagal parodies - "America is a land that is truly, freely true and free."
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 01:18
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    This sentence reminded me of Mad-TV's Steven Seagal parodies - "America is a land that is truly, freely true and free."
    A little over the top with the 'free,' huh? I really need an outside editor sometimes.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 19:57

Every person born of the seed of man since Adam's fall has been born in such a manner: spiritually dead. However, as part of a package deal, we have also received what i ...[text shortened]... re.

Hey Freak, 🙂.

What if Jesus isn't real, but freedom was made by new Christian friends. How could you know Jesus? Real or no.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 23:29
    Hey Freak, 🙂.

What if Jesus isn't real, but freedom was made by new Christian friends. How could you know Jesus? Real or no.
    'Not sure I follow. Care to elaborate?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 05:05
    'Not sure I follow. Care to elaborate?
    If a Christian didn't have a support network in church, Christian friends etc, then what would Jesus resemble? Different Jesus. Different way in life.
  13. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 05:43
    Let me put this in the perspective of the environment we are in at the moment, that being the RHP forums. Let's pretend that you are a member of the RHP world and you are playing chess and trying to meet friends and something happens you go get drunk and come back and kick up some gorilla dust and make some enemies and they kick you off the site. Being born again is giving you a new chance to start over. To get a new identity. You still have the same body but a new beginning. Here at RHP you can't always do that, But if you Pray or plead your case to the Administrator you might be able to get a new identity. A second chance. Some try to do it the wrong way and it if caught you go to forum Hell, you are banned from the site. If you do it the right way it can be a good thing for you and others as well. It is the same with God it is a chance to start over, and with a Christian community they are taught to try and do likewise to overlook your past and give you a chance. It is not a physical rebirth, but a spiritual rebirth. It doesn't mean you don't have to take responsibility from your past but that you go down a new road in life, the one less traveled. It might be a bumpy road with a lot of twists and turns, and it might even be scary and dangerous at times but it will get you to the right place the other road comes to a dead end.
  14. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 05:45
    If a Christian didn't have a support network in church, Christian friends etc, then what would Jesus resemble? Different Jesus. Different way in life.
    People are different, Jesus is the same, his word is the same. People are the problem. They want to do their will instead of his.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 05:511 edit
    This may have been said concerning the freedom from the power of sin.

It seems to me that the phrase "gain freedom" implies some amount of cooperation. Once one is born the first time she "gains freedom" in a sense. But this gaining of freedom from the first birth goes along with maturing. Being born is not an end in itself as far as this freedom is concerned. As the human life grows more freedom is gained.

We should not expect the spiritual birth to be that much different.

Being born again is also not an end in itself as far as the freedom from the power of sin is concerned. As the divine life which has been born into the believers grows and develops a greater and greater degree of self control ushers in a greater degree of freedom from the power of sin.

So instantaneous freedom at being born again is suspect to me. Having said that, I would agree that as far as freedom from the possibility of eternal perditionand damnation, that freedom we may say is instantaneous at being reborn or born of the Spirit.

But this is only freedom from the penalty of damnation. Freedom from the power of the sin nature is not instantaneous. It develops as the one "born again" goes on to "grow again."

Christ must be formed in us. Christ must grow in us. This growth of Christ ushers in "self control" a fruit of the Holy Spirit. And this divinely inspired self control brings freedom from the power of sin.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree