1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    14 Jul '05 22:30
    The chessplayer

His heart dropped after the screen displayed the words “white checkmated”. After all, he was up a rook, had better position, and was rated much higher than his opponent. Nevertheless, his king was hemmed in by his own rooks in such a way that his opponent’s only remaining pieces—a bishop and a queen—were able to deliver checkmate. In his desperation, following this heartbreaking loss, he continued playing game after game, seeking redemption.
  2. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 21:01
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    The chessplayer

His heart dropped after the screen displayed the words “white checkmated”. After all, he was up a rook, had better position, and was rated much higher than his opponent. Nevertheless, his king was hemmed in by his own rooks in such a way that his opponent’s only remaining pieces—a bishop and a queen—were able to deliver checkmate. In his ...[text shortened]... on, following this heartbreaking loss, he continued playing game after game, seeking redemption.
    Nice piece of writing. I didn't comment on it because it stands well on it's own. In what sense do you use the term redemption?
  3. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 21:01
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    The chessplayer

His heart dropped after the screen displayed the words “white checkmated”. After all, he was up a rook, had better position, and was rated much higher than his opponent. Nevertheless, his king was hemmed in by his own rooks in such a way that his opponent’s only remaining pieces—a bishop and a queen—were able to deliver checkmate. In his ...[text shortened]... on, following this heartbreaking loss, he continued playing game after game, seeking redemption.
    Nice piece of writing. I didn't comment on it because it stands well on it's own. In what sense do you use the term redemption?
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 21:15
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Thanks for the reply. I think the story itself invests the word redemption with all the necessary meaning. Of course, different readers may take it in different ways. But criticism of a work of literature, when it attempts to engage such meanings, will reveal as much about the critic as it does the literature; at least, it will do this if the writing is any good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree