1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Jun '16 22:58
    The theists herein have their pet topics which we find offensive when viewing other theist's belief systems, so let's hear it from that very small group of lack-of-theisms:
    What do you consider the single most offensive aspect of the theistic world's belief system?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '16 23:02
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The theists herein have their pet topics which we find offensive when viewing other theist's belief systems, so let's hear it from that very small group of lack-of-theisms:
    What do you consider the single most offensive aspect of the theistic world's belief system?
    The tendency to invite persecution.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 Jun '16 23:27
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Is that directed at me?
    What's that supposed to mean?
    Do you think I'm asking for persecution?
    Why are you signaling me out?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 03:13
    I can't say I find superstitious people's beliefs "offensive" in and of themselves ~ even quite extreme and prejudiced opinions are, in most cases, harmless and talking points only ~ but when religious beliefs result in actions that have damaging or even dangerous impacts on others, I can certainly be concerned.

For example, last week I was working with some people who are trying to change people's thinking, community by community, regarding male doctors being permitted to help women to give birth, which is regarded by the devout as being haram, or forbidden by God.

This belief - which can be strictly adhered to in conservative Muslim communities - results in deaths when pregnant women or women who have just given birth bleed out and die or babies die in difficult birth situations because a female doctor or midwife (as is often the case) was not available. It's just an example.

I find aspects like this "of the theistic world's belief system" to be very troubling, as do quite a lot of Muslims it should be said: superstition leading to acts that harm others. I'm not sure the word "offensive" fits the bill, though.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 03:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    I can't say I find superstitious people's beliefs "offensive" in and of themselves ~ even quite extreme and prejudiced opinions are, in most cases, harmless and talking points only ~ but when religious beliefs result in actions that have damaging or even dangerous impacts on others, I can certainly be concerned.

For example, last week I was working with some ...[text shortened]... ition leading to acts that harm others. I'm not sure the word "offensive" fits the bill, though.
    Well, then search your inner man and find the thing you find most offensive about theism.
    That was the nature of the post, after all.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 03:19
    Well, then search your inner man and find the thing you find most offensive about theism.
    That was the nature of the post, after all.
    I suppose one could say when people defend ~ irrationally, as I see it ~ such practices (like the one I mentioned above) or punish "offenders" or try to pass supposedly secular laws that force people with different beliefs to comply with the same faith-based restrictions, while women and babies die, then it can become "offensive".
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 16:45
    Three thumbs down; clearly pressed some buttons with that statement.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 17:34
    Can you choose a better word than 'offensive?'

Much obliged.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 19:58
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Can you choose a better word than 'offensive?'

Much obliged.
    Ah, yes.
    Perhaps the choice of words was a shade offensive.
    Distasteful, if you will.
    Let's taken another bat to the piñata, shall we?

"What aspect of theism really pisses you off the most?"

Better?
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 19:59
    Three thumbs down; clearly pressed some buttons with that statement.
    Yes.
    I believe it was the button which is on the top right corner of your reply which was pushed the most.
    Apparently, you suck.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 20:141 edit
    Ah, yes.
    Perhaps the choice of words was a shade offensive.
    Distasteful, if you will.
    Let's taken another bat to the piñata, shall we?

"What aspect of theism really pisses you off the most?"

Better?
    🙂 Yes, a little better.

In truth, none of it. I honestly don't begrudge anyone their faith. Life isn't easy, and if someone has found something they believe in that gives them hope and comfort, then I say 'good on them.'

That said, religion can have a damaging effect. I believe, in the wrong hands it can lead people to do unspeakable things. Dangerous is the man who believes he has God in his corner. - It can also have a toxic effect in people suffering from mental health problems.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 20:21
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    🙂 Yes, a little better.

In truth, none of it. I honestly don't begrudge anyone their faith. Life isn't easy, and if someone has found something they believe in that gives them hope and comfort, then I say 'good on them.'

That said, religion can have a damaging effect. I believe, in the wrong hands it can lead people to do unspeakable things. ...[text shortened]... n his corner. - It can also have a toxic effect in people suffering from mental health problems.
    Can't the same be said for lack-of-theisms?
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 20:25
    Can't the same be said for lack-of-theisms?
    No sir.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 20:271 edit
    The tendency to re-caste their own opinions and prejudices as God's. The deliberate loss of the ability to distinguish between the two.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jun '16 20:33
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The tendency to re-caste their own opinions and prejudices as God's. The deliberate loss of the ability to distinguish between the two.
    Any particular predilection come to mind?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree