1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 17:04
    Originally posted by galveston75
    So the word fruit has different meanings in th Bible. But again it also refers to the fruit that a religion produces and something we have to be aware of as Jesus speaks of.
    Well sure but fruit starts with the person themselves. Fruit=labors or deeds. Actually an orange tree will produce oranges an apple tree apples. In that sense what ever type of tree that you are is what you will produce. It does not take the orange tree any real effort to produce what it produces namely oranges. A person led or filled with the spirit will produce the fruit of the spirit.

Manny
  2. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    22 Mar '10 20:14
    Originally posted by menace71
    43 For there is no good tree which produces bad fruit, nor, on the other hand, a bad tree which produces good fruit.

44 For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush.

45 The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of th ...[text shortened]... th what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.

Luke 6:43-45

Manny
    seems self explanitory to me.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Mar '10 20:18
    Originally posted by duecer
    seems self explanitory to me.
    Irrelevant aside: It's important to be able to explicitly explain how it's self explanatory. That's something that is neglected in education today and it's very important for constructing understanding.

Teaching 101
  4. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 01:571 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Irrelevant aside: It's important to be able to explicitly explain how it's self explanatory. That's something that is neglected in education today and it's very important for constructing understanding.

Teaching 101
    self explanitory ...the meaning of the word itself means it needs no further explaination...
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 02:52
    So one who might be looking into different religions to associate with would want to explore deeply into the "fruits" that religion is producing. All humans in all religions are imperfect and do not always do as the scriptures tell us to do. But one would need to look at the goals and overall viewpoints as to why that religion even exist and what their viewpoint is in serving God and following his laws, not mans. Is that religion doing the will of God? And that religion should by no means accept or tolerate any pagan beliefs into their worship as the Bible makes it very clear that truth has nothing to do with falseness or light with darkness. "A little leaven ferments the whole lump".
    Just my thought.....
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 05:23
    So one who might be looking into different religions to associate with would want to explore deeply into the "fruits" that religion is producing. All humans in all religions are imperfect and do not always do as the scriptures tell us to do. But one would need to look at the goals and overall viewpoints as to why that religion even exist and what their v ...[text shortened]... s or light with darkness. "A little leaven ferments the whole lump".
    Just my thought.....
    G75 the problem I always have is that we see through what your trying to say. So let me guess? The JW's have the correct fruit un-tainted by worldly/Pagan influences? So tell plainly the Goals of the JW's and the Watchtower Society?

Manny
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 05:32
    Good point you bring up why a religion even exist? I will venture to argue the JW's really only exist because Christianity existed first.

Manny
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 06:36
    Is that religion doing the will of God?
    I am not entirely sure what you mean by 'religion' here.
    If you meant 'the followers of a religion', I have two concerns.
    One, is that we usually use the word 'religion' to refer to a very large group, and it would be difficult to ascertain what the group as a whole is doing, for example the question "are Christians doing the will of God?" seems a bit to general to answer.
    Two, what followers preach and what they do is often two different things, so what they do, does not necessarily reflect badly on what they preach.

If you mean 'the teachings or religious texts' then I am not sure whether they are capable of 'doing the will of God', and further, they can hardly be in contradiction to the will of God because they purport to tell the will of God.
  9. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 12:28
    . Is that religion doing the will of God? .....
    The will of God is a tricky one. Who's to say what God's will is? You? Isaiah 55:8 says:For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD

We are clearly given guidlines on righteous living, that can apply to any walk of life, or in any variation of ministry. You are going a long way to try and make the point the JW's are the only ones going door to door teaching the gospel, therefor they are the only ones doing God's will. That simply is just false, many other churches have similar out reach.

The really sad part is that you think that door to door evangelism is the only fruit that the gospel talks about, or that it is the only ministry that God honors. What of the work with the poor that so many churches do? Is that not spreading the gospel? I think it is.

God's will is like a river. If you are swimming across the river, it inevitably carries you farther down than you intended. If you try and tread water in the middle, it will carry you down stream. If you try and swim upstream, you will soon be exhausted, and carried down stream. If you stand in the shallows and soak your feet, eventually a flood will come and pull you down stream.

The point is, that as long as you are in the water, you are in God's will, and eventually God's true intention for your life wins out.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 00:29
    G75 the problem I always have is that we see through what your trying to say. So let me guess? The JW's have the correct fruit un-tainted by worldly/Pagan influences? So tell plainly the Goals of the JW's and the Watchtower Society?

Manny
    No I'm really not. But if one were to line all the religions up and really see who they are, what they stand for, what there beliefs are and where those beliefs came from, if they line up with the BIBLE and not mans theories, then one could and should be able to filter out religions that don't follow the Bible and the commands that come from it.
    But since your going there again, and we'ved talked about this over and over but no religion or ones who are out on their own such as Raj, DO THE PREACHING AND TEACHING WORK THAT JESUS COMMANDED US ALL TO DO.
    If ones professes to be a Christian and is willing do as Jesus did, then these scriptures at Matt 24th & 28th chapters should affect ones heart and make one do this work.
    But if it's not in ones heart to want to help their fellow man to learn of these things Jesus spoke of and in the fashion that he did, then they would not look to Jehovah's Witnesses as an option for their beliefs and they should move on or as in Raj's case..continue to do nothing and produce no fruits.
  11. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 01:42
    Jehovah's:

Charles Taze Russell, 1879, Pittsburgh 6.5 million One God, Jehovah. No Trinity - Christ is the first creation of God; the Holy Spirit is a force. Salvation is through faith in Christ and obeying Jehovah's laws. The End of the World is soon. Heaven for 144,000 chosen Witnesses, eternity on new earth for other Witnesses. All others annihilated. No hell. No blood transfusions, no celebration of holidays, no use of crosses or religious images. Baptism, Sunday service at Kingdom Hall, strong emphasis on evangelism. New World Translation of the Scriptures

Christianity:

Founded by Jesus Christ in c. 30 AD, Israel. 2 billion One God who is a Trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit All have sinned and are thereby separated from God. Salvation is through faith in Christ and, for some, sacraments and good works. Eternal heaven or hell (or temporary purgatory). Prayer, Bible study, baptism, Eucharist (Communion), church on Sundays, numerous holidays. The Bible
    (Old and New Testaments)

http://www.religionfacts.com/big_religion_chart.htm (The link I used after just typing in comparative religions)

A comparative of the two. I would consider myself protestant or non-domination. As noted some put a big emphasis on the sacraments (Catholics / Lutheran) I also don't believe in purgatory. I do believe that the old and new testaments are vital for understanding God's will/plan for man. I do believe the preaching and teaching of the bible and the Gospel are of great importance.

Manny
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 01:563 edits
    Jehovah's:

Charles Taze Russell, 1879, Pittsburgh 6.5 million One God, Jehovah. No Trinity - Christ is the first creation of God; the Holy Spirit is a force. Salvation is through faith in Christ and obeying Jehovah's laws. The End of the World is soon. Heaven for 144,000 chosen Witnesses, eternity on new earth for other Witnesses. All others anni preaching and teaching of the bible and the Gospel are of great importance.

Manny
    6.5 million, where have you been? try another million on top of that and around 750 persons being baptised every day around the globe! It may of course be argued that there were many witnesses of God, some recorded in the Bible before Christ was born, indeed if we wish we can take it back as far as Enoch, making our religion a good three thousand years older than yours! I would be pleased if you adopted our proper title, it being, Jehovahs Christian Witnesses.
  13. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 02:58
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    6.5 million, where have you been? try another million on top of that and around 750 persons being baptised every day around the globe! It may of course be argued that there were many witnesses of God, some recorded in the Bible before Christ was born, indeed if we wish we can take it back as far as Enoch, making our religion a good three thousand y ...[text shortened]... rs! I would be pleased if you adopted our proper title, it being, Jehovahs Christian Witnesses.
    I actually don't believe that true Christianity is a religion at all. It's a relationship with Almighty God.

Ok so by this title: " Jehovah's Christian Witnesses". You are a part of Christendom then right? Christian and Christendom can be synonymous.

Manny
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 09:311 edit
    I actually don't believe that true Christianity is a religion at all. It's a relationship with Almighty God.

Ok so by this title: " Jehovah's Christian Witnesses". You are a part of Christendom then right? Christian and Christendom can be synonymous.

Manny
    Part of Christendom?????, may we never be a sharer in her sins! for they have amassed clear up to the heavens! I doubt Christ would recognise modern day Christianity.
  15. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Part of Christendom?????, may we never be a sharer in her sins! for they have amassed clear up to the heavens! I doubt Christ would recognise modern day Christianity.
    Actually agreed 🙂

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree