1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 17:56
    Looking around these threads and seeing various responses has suggested to me that there might be something out there called Atheist fundamentalism (lol).I don't want to slag anyone off because I can understand some of the bile but some Atheists seem to be very dogmatic and rigid saying things like "belief in god can never be rational" , or " the supernatural is complete nonsense". They seem to be at war with Theism in the same way Fundamentalists are at war with "sinners".
    The thing is, it starts to sound like a creed after a while and smacks of a closed minded approach similar to right wing Creationists.I find myself speculating about what kind of Theists these Atheists would be in a parallel universe? I can't help but conclude sometimes that they would be the very thing they say they despise!

In short , the belief system is very different but the rhetoric sounds only too familiar. Theist or Atheist , it's dogma that we need to watch out for. Watch out for that monkey poop!
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 18:32
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Looking around these threads and seeing various responses has suggested to me that there might be something out there called Atheist fundamentalism (lol).I don't want to slag anyone off because I can understand some of the bile but some Atheists seem to be very dogmatic and rigid saying things like "belief in god can never be rational" , or " the supe ...[text shortened]... or Atheist , it's dogma that we need to watch out for. Watch out for that monkey poop!
    Okay, I'm going to be completely honest, since I have had a bit to drink (I'm sure I'll regret this later...). I agree that I for one can be bilious in my sentiment towards creationists. However, I would like to intimate that this is not because of my atheism, but because of my intolerance towards idiots. Obviously that sounds like a presuppositional view of creationists and I admit it without shame. I view them as incapable of sense, since their views are so devoid of any. I would extend the same sentiment to anyone offering their views in such a way, on
    any subject matter. Not the most tolerant of practices, but that's how I am. Theists in general do not get me riled in the same way, I am more than happy to discuss their views on a palatable level. But I must reiterate it is not atheism which accords me such a view.

Let the flaming commence 🙂
  3. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 18:47
    Originally posted by Starrman
    [b]Okay, I'm going to be completely honest, since I have had a bit to drink (I'm sure I'll regret this later...). I agree that I for one can be bilious in my sentiment towards creationists. However, I would like to intimate that this is not because of my atheism, but because of my intolerance towards idiots. Obviously that sounds like a presuppositional vie ...[text shortened]... mit it without shame. I view them as incapable of sense, since their views are so devoid of any.
    Thanks for your response. One of the things I am trying to flag up is that some Christians also get billious about Creationists , in fact , more so because it's what we believe that's being sullied and made to look preposterous. Unfortunately , it's often dogmatic atheists who seem to tar us all with the same brush. That's one of the things about dogma , you can't see subtle differences (or even unsubtle ones for that matter!).

You my friend don't sound like one of those. Enjoy your drink!
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 21:51
    Thanks for your response. One of the things I am trying to flag up is that some Christians also get billious about Creationists , in fact , more so because it's what we believe that's being sullied and made to look preposterous. Unfortunately , it's often dogmatic atheists who seem to tar us all with the same brush. That's one of the things about dogma ...[text shortened]... ones for that matter!).

You my friend don't sound like one of those. Enjoy your drink!
    You are spot on in this one.
    It's a shame because it makes all of Atheism seem to religious people as idiotic, in the same way that many Atheists see religious people as idiotic. I guess like any difference of opinion, people are always going to get worked up about their views and beliefs.
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 22:39
    Looking around these threads and seeing various responses has suggested to me that there might be something out there called Atheist fundamentalism (lol).I don't want to slag anyone off because I can understand some of the bile but some Atheists seem to be very dogmatic and rigid saying things like "belief in god can never be rational" , or " the supe ...[text shortened]... or Atheist , it's dogma that we need to watch out for. Watch out for that monkey poop!
    Accepting that a particular god exists on faith is not rational, and every claim that I've heard about the supernatural (and they are as many and varied as the stars) has seemed to me little more than one person's make believe.

Now I think I can hold these views and not be what you call a "Fundamentalist Atheist." Unlike fundie monotheists, I do not lobby politically to restrict the freedoms of others to worship or not worship as they please. I do not demand that some one accept some work or other as "infallible" or be branded a heretic. I do boast miracle working powers or ask for your hard-earned money in exchange for communication with invisible agents.

The behavior that you describe in some of us atheists here is, I think better termed, "insensitivity." We have a no BS way of looking at things. In public I presume most of us (I know for me anyway) are much more tactful in the way we approach those with whom we disagree. The same could be said about many other people and along many other dimensions (politics, sports teams, nationality). Nevertheless, unlike the fundie theists, you won't often find us outside abortion clinics screaming at people while holding up ghastly pictures on a stick. You won't discover us knocking on your door and asking, "Are you happy with your religion? Do you have questions about science? May we come in?" You won't find us on the sidewalks preaching hellfire and condemnation upon everyone we encounter.

So we "fundy atheists" are really pretty amicable types. If you want to discuss the supernatural with us, be prepared to defend your assumptions. If you preach at us, understand that we'll go toe-to-toe deconstructing the rubbish.

I guess in the end we are just honest. With ourselves and with others. Perhaps we can be a bit insensitive on internet forums, but all in all we're pretty decent peeps.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 23:10
    Originally posted by telerion
    I do boast miracle working powers or ask for your hard-earned money in exchange for communication with invisible agents.
    😕 Honest mistake.

Otherwise, good post.

I know that when it comes to lemon jello, it can be quite bitter; but it can also be sweet too. In large part, it depends on the person doing the tasting.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 23:44
    In short , the belief system is very different but the rhetoric sounds only too familiar. Theist or Atheist , it's dogma that we need to watch out for. Watch out for that monkey poop!
    You hit the nail right on the head. I debated one such 'atheist fundy' in the aforementioned 'monkey poop' thread. Coincidentally, that was exactly the term I thought of to describe him, even before I saw this thread.
  8. Meddling with things
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 00:51
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You hit the nail right on the head. I debated one such 'atheist fundy' in the aforementioned 'monkey poop' thread. Coincidentally, that was exactly the term I thought of to describe him, even before I saw this thread.
    Fundies are fundies because they believe in the fundamental truth of the bible. Atheists have no equivelent text therefore cannot be fundies.

We can be bigots, intolerant and down right nasty but not in a fundamentalist way.

I'm going to disappear up my own fundament
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 00:54
    Accepting that a particular god exists on faith is not rational, and every claim that I've heard about the supernatural (and they are as many and varied as the stars) has seemed to me little more than one person's make believe.

Now I think I can hold these views and not be what you call a "Fundamentalist Atheist." Unlike fundie monotheists, I do not l ...[text shortened]... bit insensitive on internet forums, but all in all we're pretty decent peeps.
    Good in theory; unfortunately your dogma betrays you time and again. You don't argue the salient points; you don't apply logic to your worldview while demanding the Christian support his with the same; you continually resort to attacks of the person; and, in general, you swipe-and-go at pretty much every turn.

Not, in my limited opinion, reasonable at all.
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 01:26
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Good in theory; unfortunately your dogma betrays you time and again. You don't argue the salient points; you don't apply logic to your worldview while demanding the Christian support his with the same; you continually resort to attacks of the person; and, in general, you swipe-and-go at pretty much every turn.

Not, in my limited opinion, reasonable at all.
    In the words of Kenny Rogers,

"You got to know when to hold 'em
    Know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away
    You gotta know when to run . . ."

I'd add, you also gotta know when to stop wasting your time, or as Jesus might have put it, "throwing your pearls before swine."
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 01:28
    In the words of Kenny Rogers,

"You got to know when to hold 'em
    Know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away
    You gotta know when to run . . ."

I'd add, you also gotta know when to stop wasting your time, or as Jesus might have put it, "throwing your pearls before swine."
    The last line is more true than you know. Just correcting your bald faced lies as a community service.
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 04:00
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The last line is more true than you know. Just correcting your bald faced lies as a community service.
    Freaky, here's the problem with you.

You always fancy yourself to be locked in the Sublimely Magnificent and Fabulously Exalted Circle-Jerk Championship, and we all just keep reminding you that when there's only one person involved it's called "playing with yourself."

🙂
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 04:03
    Freaky, here's the problem with you.

You always fancy yourself to be locked in the Sublimely Magnificent and Fabulously Exalted Circle-Jerk Championship, and we all just keep reminding you that when there's only one person involved it's called "playing with yourself."

🙂
    Always, Telly. Always. As stated previously, you and your kind are reduced to attacks on the person every time, when faced with actual logic and reason.

Pass the Jergens, dude.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 04:38

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 04:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    However, here is one thing you may not be ready for:
    Ok there is a god, a lot of them maybe.
    They are all up there, out there, whatever, watching the human race and laughing amongst themselves, Stupid humans, they actually think
    we give a shite....
    Yep. Just one of an infinite number of solutions at this point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree