1. Cosmos
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 03:07
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I'm sure hg would be pleased to know it could be interpreted that way.
    I knew it would fly over the head of a simpleton such as you.
  2. London
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 12:11
    Originally posted by howardgee
    I knew it would fly over the head of a simpleton such as you.
    Considering your arguments for atheism are by a long way the easiest to refute on this forum - what does that say about you if I'm a simpleton?
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 13:09
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Telerion , The thing is you don't sound like a 'fundy atheist' and you make some good points. You're right to say that any excesses of dogma and bile from Atheists are not in the same league as the hellfire preachers and their like. You are also right to go toe-to-toe with people on the subject of the supernatural. Infact , we Theists shouldn't be fr ...[text shortened]... ve made.

All I'm saying is listen to the silent majority of us not the bible bashers
    While Telly's atheism does put him on the wrong side of most theists here, he does have a tender skeleton in his closet which peeks out at ya every now and again when he's not on his guard. A lot of his criticism of theism is reasonably well merited, while the rest is mostly thoughtful tongue in cheek, occasionally laced with a little... uhm... well... vitriol when the other half of the discussion switches on those blinders (or when the discussion demands). One thing you are guaranteed of is a little chuckle when reading his posts.
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 17:31
    Originally posted by Halitose
    While Telly's atheism does put him on the wrong side of most theists here, he does have a tender skeleton in his closet which peeks out at ya every now and again when he's not on his guard. A lot of his criticism of theism is reasonably well merited, while the rest is mostly thoughtful tongue in cheek, occasionally laced with a little... uhm... well... vitr ...[text shortened]... scussion demands). One thing you are guaranteed of is a little chuckle when reading his posts.
    Thank you, Hal for your sincerity.

I recognize that my history with Evangelical Protestantism combined with many criticisms of it indicate to some theists (especially those of an evangelical persuasion) that I'm bitter. While I do not want to claim that I am absolutely unaffected by my experience, I will offer another channel through which my history shapes my discussion.

Because of my intimate connection with evangelical ways of thinking, I am capable of drawing on a much broader knowledge of evangelical ideas and Biblical interpretations. Moreover, because I rejected (painfully at times) Evangelical Protestantism, it is a view that I have carefully questioned and deconstructed. Many of the arguments put forth here by this type of theist are ones that I struggled with in my own mind. Both of these factors make me much more prone to object to arguments from an Evangelical Protestant viewpoint and to more persistantly and vigorously argue my view. Thus, a selection bias arises that could make me look obsessed when it's really more a matter of specialization.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 17:38
    Originally posted by telerion
    Thank you, Hal for your sincerity.

I recognize that my history with Evangelical Protestantism combined with many criticisms of it indicate to some theists (especially those of an evangelical persuasion) that I'm bitter. While I do not want to claim that I am absolutely unaffected by my experience, I will offer another channel through which my history sh ...[text shortened]... bias arises that could make me look obsessed when it's really more a matter of specialization.
    Well, okay: that was reasonable and articulate.
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 18:59
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    He just needs a little coaxing in the right direction.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 19:33
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    'religious types' so that they can knock them down like skittles.
    With very few notable exceptions, the Theists that post here fall down on their own accord, as would skittles that had been set upside down.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 19:37
    ... and true

telerion has had close acquaintance with Fundamentalists that are not brainwashed fools, but intelligent and good people. I know some of them myself. They deserve respect, despite the errors of some of their views.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 19:41
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    ... and true

telerion has had close acquaintance with Fundamentalists that are not brainwashed fools, but intelligent and good people. I know some of them myself. They deserve respect, despite the errors of some of their views.
    Although we're likely to get into a pissing match over definition, I am wary of fundamentalism in any form, traditional religious or otherwise.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 19:51
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Fundies are fundies because they believe in the fundamental truth of the bible. Atheists have no equivelent text therefore cannot be fundies.

We can be bigots, intolerant and down right nasty but not in a fundamentalist way.
    This post demolishes the assumptions in which the original question are rooted.

Of course, athiests and other skeptics can be dogmatic and bigoted, but in these threads they almost never display the degree of mindlessness that characterizes several of the most prolific "Fundmentalist" posters. It might be worth arguing, however, whether some of the xtians that infest this forum are true fundamentalists, however, as several even admit that they have not raed the entire Bible, and a few still fail to correctly name the last book therein.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 20:06

Of course, athiests and other skeptics can be dogmatic and bigoted, but in these threads they almost never display the degree of mindlessness that characterizes several of the most prolific "Fundmentalist" posters. It might be worth arguing, however, whether some of the xtians ...[text shortened]... have not raed the entire Bible, and a few still fail to correctly name the last book therein.
    Do you mean the books of Revelation?
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 20:48
    Do you mean the books of Revelation?
    yep, Hal Lindsey's, too.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 22:12
    yep, Hal Lindsey's, too.
    Funny you should mention ol' Hal. I never did understand the titles of ministry that Hal, James Dobson, Chuck Missler (sp?), Hank Hanegraff (sp?) et al, all have claimed for themselves at one time or another.

I know there evolved a type of para-ministry sub-set of sorts, but their claims of actually being ministers never rang true. Where is the biblical support for their organizations? Kinda hard to reconcile, in my mind. Great at tax time, I suppose.
  14. London
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 00:13
    Not quite. aardvarkhome's argument rests on a subtle switch in the meaning of the term "fundamentalist". Of course, 'Fundamentalism' is a movement within Protestant Christianity believing in certain fundamental principles (sola scriptura, sola fide, Virgin Birth etc.) But, in common discourse, it also refers to any inflexible, dogmatic position - and it is the latter sense that is apparently used in this thread. aardvarkhome starts with the first, then switches to the second.
  15. Meddling with things
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 09:17
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Not quite. aardvarkhome's argument rests on a subtle switch in the meaning of the term "fundamentalist". Of course, 'Fundamentalism' is a movement within Protestant Christianity believing in certain fundamental principles (sola scriptura, sola fide, Virgin Birth etc.) But, in common discourse, it also refers to any inflexible, dogmatic position - and ...[text shortened]... ently used in this thread. aardvarkhome starts with the first, then switches to the second.
    I was assuming a capital 'F' throughout. I'll agree with inflexible and dogmatic, yes, atheists do those too!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree